There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Vic Fangio a lifetime D-cord?

Originally posted by Kronos2560:
I dont know. I like Fangio, but I hate our lack of pass rush. We never even attempt to blitz, and were never able to get sacks without Justin Smith.

Either we draft Justins replacement soon, or we start blitzing more. Then I'd be find with giving Fangio the Derek Jeter contract. Just as long as we remain a top 5 defense.

Fangio has done a bang up job, but I am very sympathetic to your position. Unfortunately, many fans are quick to embrace this notion, but blind to its corollary. That is to say, they're aware that the pass rush could be much more aggressive, but unappreciative of just how good our secondary is at holding painfully long coverages. We have much better corners than most of us recognize.
I dont know. I like Fangio, but I hate our lack of pass rush. We never even attempt to blitz, and were never able to get sacks without Justin Smith.

Either we draft Justins replacement soon, or we start blitzing more. Then I'd be find with giving Fangio the Derek Jeter contract. Just as long as we remain a top 5 defense.

We are a top 5 defense because of the way Fangio runs the D. They were giving up the fewest points in the league until Justin Smith went down. That is the key there, Justin. Balke has his work cut out for him in finding someone to fill Justin Smith's shoes.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

Fangio has done a bang up job, but I am very sympathetic to your position. Unfortunately, many fans are quick to embrace this notion, but blind to its corollary. That is to say, they're aware that the pass rush could be much more aggressive, but unappreciative of just how good our secondary is at holding painfully long coverages. We have much better corners than most of us recognize.

Ed Donatell. Probably one of the best DB coaches in a generation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/14/harbaugh-adds-ed-donatell-to-niners-staff/
Donatell for DC when Vic retires.

I actually think we have an effective pass rush, barring weeks 15 & 16, which might have had as much to do w/fatigue as the missing Cowboy. We have seen a lot of 3 step drops this year, which makes the pass rush look less effective. Fangio also dials up ILB blitzes and Nickle/Safety blitzes on occassion, he just doesn't go nuts. We rarely send 6-7 guys, but that's why our pass defense is the best it has been in a long time, IMO.

Before, I used to think the same thing but I'm happy we don't blitz often. A lot of QB play well against it nowadays and yet, still have no answer for pass rushers. I like that.

As for Fangio, I didn't care too much for him last year and as strange as it sounds because this year we're not nearly as good as last year, I've come to respect the guy. There are a lot of holes I see on this defense and I think he's done a pretty damn good job at working with what he's got. But no more prevent D. Please.
[ Edited by YoungWifey on Jan 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM ]
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I actually think we have an effective pass rush, barring weeks 15 & 16, which might have had as much to do w/fatigue as the missing Cowboy. We have seen a lot of 3 step drops this year, which makes the pass rush look less effective. Fangio also dials up ILB blitzes and Nickle/Safety blitzes on occassion, he just doesn't go nuts. We rarely send 6-7 guys, but that's why our pass defense is the best it has been in a long time, IMO.
yeah and I don't even think our pass coverage is that great. But Fangio's found way to mask that and I applaud him for that.
I think Fangio is doing a helluva job. He has the guys to do it with. We tend to want the defense to shut offenses down but that rarely ever happened in the NFL. Offenses are too good. Even in some of the shut out games, the offenses were able to move the ball on us. To keep it at 14-15 pts average per game is a very good defense. 2TD and maybe a field goal in 4 qtrs is very good.

We just need our offense to keep the ball longer and score more, then that would make the defense seems that much more awesome.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Donatell for DC when Vic retires.

No. He's one of the best DB coaches, but he's a horrible DC. Do not want.
Don't get be wrong I think he's a heck of a DC; but who wants this as the face of their franchise? (like it or not we're in a media driven world):