There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Vic Fangio a lifetime D-cord?

He hasn't got a sniff of consideration for nfl jobs this week..there have been rumors about roman.

makes me wonder, lord Vic has been pretty successful in the NFL for years as D-cord and never got a sniff, maybe he's not viewed as HC material.

That's great news for us....he'd be our D-Cord for a LONG LONG TIME if that was the case

Other great D-Cords who weren't considered HC material: the late great Jim Johnson, Monte Kiffin off the top of my head.
Might be wrong but i thought i read somewhere that Fangio doesn't want to be a HC
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Might be wrong but i thought i read somewhere that Fangio doesn't want to be a HC

Damn, even better. we got a beast of a defensive coordinator for life.

But CSNbay area has an interview w/ Mindi Bach on their site where he states "well i haven't got any calls so not worried about that" when asked about leaving for HC opps...also harbaugh has said all 3 of his coordinators want to be HC's and he likes hiring those types of ambitious guys
My impression of Vic is that he love what he's doing as a DC. He's not a total grinder like some of the other coaches. To be a HC, he has to give up some of the DC duty, and that might not be what he would want. Kinda like McKittrick when Walsh offer to move him up from O-line coach. Bob said nah... and stayed at where he was. Harbaugh is smart enough to give Vic total control of the defense, which is what Vic wants without the headache of being a HC to go along with it.
Dick lebeau will never be a head coach again. He is the real reason the steelers won two superbowls.
I don't see him going anywhere unless the 49ers win like back to back Superbowl's, in which case the entire coaching staff, top to bottom would get absolutely ravaged.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,885
Part of the reason he isn't getting looked at is everyone is going for offensive coaches, so defensive coordinators will get overlooked this off season
Originally posted by Jcool:
Part of the reason he isn't getting looked at is everyone is going for offensive coaches, so defensive coordinators will get overlooked this off season

And even then I don't expect him to get looked at as much as guys like Zimmer from Cincy, Nolan, hell even Tomsula's gotten some mention.
I've always thought of him as a lifetime D-Coordinator. He has stated in the past that he would be interested if approached. I just don't know that he has a burning desire to be a HC. Nothing wrong with that, it's what he's comfortable with. Mindi Bach interviewed him a few days ago, and he has not been contacted by any teams for an interview.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
He hasn't got a sniff of consideration for nfl jobs this week..there have been rumors about roman.

makes me wonder, lord Vic has been pretty successful in the NFL for years as D-cord and never got a sniff, maybe he's not viewed as HC material.

That's great news for us....he'd be our D-Cord for a LONG LONG TIME if that was the case

Other great D-Cords who weren't considered HC material: the late great Jim Johnson, Monte Kiffin off the top of my head.

Both Kiffin and Johnson got plenty of offers, but were smart enough to know better.

Right after the Bucs won the SB in 2002, we fired Mariucci, and were very much interested in Kiffin. He turned us down.
La Vic's
yes
I dont know. I like Fangio, but I hate our lack of pass rush. We never even attempt to blitz, and were never able to get sacks without Justin Smith.

Either we draft Justins replacement soon, or we start blitzing more. Then I'd be find with giving Fangio the Derek Jeter contract. Just as long as we remain a top 5 defense.
yup
His season is far from over. Unless three engines are on fire and the wings are coming off, it's pretty rare to hear rumors about a coach's future employment plans until his season is dead and buried.

Well, unless you consider the professional "insider" rumor mill and its illustrious track record credible.