LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 167 users in the forums

John Taylor

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If there ever was a #1 receiver talent that can put any ego aside and be the #2 to a HOF receiver, John Taylor embodies that guy. He has that, I don't give a s**t, I'm cool with it type personality.

He has more wiggle than Rice running with the ball. Did some kick return duty when asked, and was good at it. Hardly anyone outside of Niner fans remembered that he was the one that caught the winning TD in the SB against the Bengals. And he doesn't seemed to give a s**t.

I think he, Bob McKittrick, and John McVay personified the underrated, oft overlooked, yet can't do without guys back then.
JT belongs in the HOF.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
If there ever was a #1 receiver talent that can put any ego aside and be the #2 to a HOF receiver, John Taylor embodies that guy. He has that, I don't give a s**t, I'm cool with it type personality.

He has more wiggle than Rice running with the ball. Did some kick return duty when asked, and was good at it. Hardly anyone outside of Niner fans remembered that he was the one that caught the winning TD in the SB against the Bengals. And he doesn't seemed to give a s**t.

I think he, Bob McKittrick, and John McVay personified the underrated, oft overlooked, yet can't do without guys back then.

Very good post!

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
JT belongs in the HOF.

Agree

He was also a hell of a blocker
Loved John Taylor. He was our most dangerous offensive weapon for 3-4 seasons. Much more dangerous in the open field than Rice. Injuries kept him from playing at an elite level longer. Very physical and elusive. BTW, he threw the ball further than any QB on the team.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
JT belongs in the HOF.

+1
If swann and stallworth loser asses can get in, so should john
  • Stud
John Taylor, his 286 yards receiving on that crazy Monday night comeback vs the Rams in 1989 was memorable. He has touchdowns of 92 and 96 in that game.
Wonder how he'd do in Kyle's offense with JG
JT is my favorite all time 49er!! That game against the rams is one I most remember watching as a kid!
[ Edited by 49ersrule777 on Apr 15, 2018 at 5:12 PM ]
Originally posted by socalniner:
Wonder how he'd do in Kyle's offense with JG

That game where he had two 90+ yd TD receptions against those pesky Rams?

JT would have had 3.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000355962/1989-MNF-49ers-at-Rams-Taylor-Touchdowns
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Apr 15, 2018 at 5:21 PM ]

Originally posted by 60sFan:
Much more dangerous in the open field than Rice.

This is nonsense. The whole "Taylor was better after the catch than Rice" thing is something people enjoy saying, but it's just false. Rice was a threat to score every time he touched the ball until he hit the wall in the 1996 season. Aside from the 1989 season, Taylor wasn't really special after the catch.

What was special about Taylor was his route running. He could make sharp, precise cuts like nobody's business and gave corners fits. He usually worked against the opponent's #1 corner (since he was the split end, and the 49ers would move Rice around to try to get him matched up on weaker DBs), and he could school all of them one-on-one. For an example, in the 1994 game vs. the Chiefs, watch what he does to Dale Carter (considered by scouts to be Deion's equal as a man cover corner) one-on-one on his 35 yard reception.

Or watch him in this practice video, where he's making the team's corners look like school children: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot7aWqlRMYE
Originally posted by Stud:
John Taylor, his 286 yards receiving on that crazy Monday night comeback vs the Rams in 1989 was memorable. He has touchdowns of 92 and 96 in that game.

Saw it on tv live. Amazing 49er moment. We were trailing that game before montana blew open the doors.

Guess who made the blocks to spring taylor? yup. Jerry.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000355962/1989-MNF-49ers-at-Rams-Taylor-Touchdowns
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by Stud:

Saw it on tv live. Amazing 49er moment. We were trailing that game before montana blew open the doors.

Guess who made the blocks to spring taylor? yup. Jerry.

Taylor sprung himself. Rice chose to head upfield instead of blocking Jerry Gray, and if Taylor doesn't break that tackle (and the Vince Newsome - Rams FS - tackle), that play goes nowhere.
Originally posted by darockzillahitman:
This is nonsense. The whole "Taylor was better after the catch than Rice" thing is something people enjoy saying, but it's just false. Rice was a threat to score every time he touched the ball until he hit the wall in the 1996 season. Aside from the 1989 season, Taylor wasn't really special after the catch.

What was special about Taylor was his route running. He could make sharp, precise cuts like nobody's business and gave corners fits. He usually worked against the opponent's #1 corner (since he was the split end, and the 49ers would move Rice around to try to get him matched up on weaker DBs), and he could school all of them one-on-one. For an example, in the 1994 game vs. the Chiefs, watch what he does to Dale Carter (considered by scouts to be Deion's equal as a man cover corner) one-on-one on his 35 yard reception.

Or watch him in this practice video, where he's making the team's corners look like school children: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot7aWqlRMYE

No Way Rice was better after the catch at JT's prime. Rice was good at hitting a seem and going yard. JT was superior open field runner. Sorry.
Oh dang when I saw this thread I thought the worst.
Share 49ersWebzone