There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anyone else worried about retaining the current Niners coaching staff?

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Yea, really good thought. I could get behind that. what kind f offense has he been running in the CFL? more of a pure WCO? I would love to bring a more pure style of WCO back to the niners, but i havent been sold on any of the WCO coordinator options out there. Trestman deffinately is intrigueing.

If you remember, Trestman has always called a more high-octane variant of the WCO. A very aggressive passing attack that utilizes slants and screens to setup longer downfield passes. This was especially the case in 1995 when the 49ers had Derek Loville as their running back and he averaged 3.3 yards per carry. Basically Trestman compensated for the lack of a running game by using a lot of shorter passes and Jerry Rice hated his guts for awhile since Trestman went real traditional WCO, using a lot of short slants and passes over the middle in lieu of running the ball which resulted in Jerry catching a lot of passes but getting his ass kicked on the regular. They eventually made up when both were in Oakland together and Jerry had another good season with Trestman as the OC. It does bear to mention that Jerry Rice set an NFL receiving record for most yards in a single that year with Trestman calling the plays, one that had stood until Megatron recently beat it.

He was the same way with the Raiders and once again, he didn't have a great running game, his best option was an aging Charlie Garner, so he used a lot of different passing attacks and sometimes it resulted in the QB getting beat up, ala similar to Mike Martz's system, which is why Rich Gannon complained about the system, but ultimately the Raiders did have a lot of success and they did get to the Super Bowl with a very high-powered offense.

But once again, he never really had a strong running game at his disposal, at least not in the NFL, not even with the Cardinals where Larry Centers and a broken down Adrian Murrell were his best options. He did become more run oriented as the OC at North Carolina State but that was after Rivers had left and they ended up with a bunch of craptastic talent. He will individualize his offense to whatever a team can do well. I think the 49ers with receivers like Crabtree, Davis, runningbacks like Gore and Hunter and an all purpose weapon in James would allow for a very varied, unpredictable and explosive offense.

Its hard to compare what he's done in Canada to the NFL due to all the rule variations and differences regarding the CFL. I'm not that familiar with the league but I know his teams have been relatively successful. One of the biggest positives about him is how well he's done with young quarterbacks. He still works with various quarterbacks in the offseason and a lot of guys go to him to train up, with varying degrees of success considering Tim Tebow was one of his students. He has a tremendous passion for the quarterback position.

"Marc leaves no stone unturned. It's amazing how he can comprehend all this stuff. He has to understand everything". Jerry Rice
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 31, 2012 at 3:29 PM ]
This article was written before the 2003 Superbowl.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/don_banks/news/2003/01/20/banks_insider/

SAN DIEGO -- He won't be catching or throwing passes on Sunday. He hasn't scored a point or even touched a football all season. But Marc Trestman's hands are all over Oakland's top-ranked offense, and he has had as much to do with the Raiders' relentless march to Super Bowl XXXVII as anyone.

It's just that we don't know the sound of his voice, his face is only vaguely familiar, and the next press conference he conducts will be his first.

As offensive coordinators go, Trestman is the equivalent of the NFL's invisible man. You know he's there, but only because you can see the effect he has on others.

Like 37-year-old quarterback Rich Gannon and his air raid of an MVP season. Or receiver Jerry Porter's emergence as a dangerously quick star of the future. Or Charlie Garner's supplanting Marshall Faulk as the game's most versatile back.

We realize this is probably the first time you've heard this, but Trestman has been the man putting the "O" into "Oakland." Sometimes to the extreme.

"I love his approach," said Porter, the third-year Raiders receiver who has blossomed this season in Trestman's wide-open passing game. "There were times last year under coach [Jon] Gruden when we'd be playing teams, get a lead, and we'd go into our big personnel [package] and start running the ball. We'd go three and out and punt it, and they'd go score, giving them hope.

"All of a sudden, it's crunch time and we're only up two or three points and we've made the game a lot closer than it should have been. Whereas with Trestman, if we're up by 14, we're going to try and go up by 21. Rather than milk the clock and coast on in with a win.

"That's not the way it is under Trestman or [head] coach [Bill] Callahan. Most coaches don't do that because they don't want to seem like they're running up the score. But who gives a damn? If you don't run up the score, you give them a chance of coming back."

Though the Raiders haven't allowed their assistant coaches to speak with the media for most of the season, Trestman's performance as Oakland's first-year offensive coordinator -- replacing Callahan -- has done quite a bit of talking on his own behalf.

While many speculated that Oakland and Gannon would struggle with their offensive guru gone to Tampa Bay, the Raiders clearly haven't been the same team without Gruden. They've been better.

The Raiders' 450 points ranked second in the league, their passing game and total offense earned top billing, and they increased their yards-per-game average by more than 50 yards this season.

Equally valuable has been the Raiders' offensive unpredictability. Some teams think outside the box. Oakland carves up the box, sets fire to it and throws the ashes to the wind.

Tell me if this isn't music to your ears. :P

"It keeps us players with that edge," Raiders guard Frank Middleton said of Trestman's play-calling. "We never sat on the ball this year, and I kind of like that. We always tried to step on their throat and kick them in the mouth when they're down. I think our team has taken on the same attitude, that aggressive attitude. I think we have more big plays this year than we did last year, and it's all because of Marc Trestman and coach Callahan."

"I love his approach," said Porter, the third-year Raiders receiver who has blossomed this season in Trestman's wide-open passing game. "There were times last year under coach [Jon] Gruden when we'd be playing teams, get a lead, and we'd go into our big personnel [package] and start running the ball. We'd go three and out and punt it, and they'd go score, giving them hope. "All of a sudden, it's crunch time and we're only up two or three points and we've made the game a lot closer than it should have been. Whereas with Trestman, if we're up by 14, we're going to try and go up by 21. Rather than milk the clock and coast on in with a win.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM ]
I've said it several times and I'll say it again. Norv Turner is one hell of a good Offensive Coordinator. A head coach he's not! The same can be said about Rex Ryan in that he is one heck of a Defensive Coordinator.

But I'm not sure that Norv Turner and Harbaugh would get along. Could be butting heads with Harbaugh's ground and pound versus Turner's Passing philosophy.
Norv would be great if we got him back. Gore had his best year with him and could coach up kap in the process.
Im calling it right now none of our assistant coaches will get a head coaching job in the NFL. Roman might land a college gig and I hope he does because his play calling drives me cray.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This article was written before the 2003 Superbowl.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/don_banks/news/2003/01/20/banks_insider/
Quote:

SAN DIEGO -- He won't be catching or throwing passes on Sunday. He hasn't scored a point or even touched a football all season. But Marc Trestman's hands are all over Oakland's top-ranked offense, and he has had as much to do with the Raiders' relentless march to Super Bowl XXXVII as anyone.

It's just that we don't know the sound of his voice, his face is only vaguely familiar, and the next press conference he conducts will be his first.

As offensive coordinators go, Trestman is the equivalent of the NFL's invisible man. You know he's there, but only because you can see the effect he has on others.

Like 37-year-old quarterback Rich Gannon and his air raid of an MVP season. Or receiver Jerry Porter's emergence as a dangerously quick star of the future. Or Charlie Garner's supplanting Marshall Faulk as the game's most versatile back.

We realize this is probably the first time you've heard this, but Trestman has been the man putting the "O" into "Oakland." Sometimes to the extreme.

"I love his approach," said Porter, the third-year Raiders receiver who has blossomed this season in Trestman's wide-open passing game. "There were times last year under coach [Jon] Gruden when we'd be playing teams, get a lead, and we'd go into our big personnel [package] and start running the ball. We'd go three and out and punt it, and they'd go score, giving them hope.

"All of a sudden, it's crunch time and we're only up two or three points and we've made the game a lot closer than it should have been. Whereas with Trestman, if we're up by 14, we're going to try and go up by 21. Rather than milk the clock and coast on in with a win.

"That's not the way it is under Trestman or [head] coach [Bill] Callahan. Most coaches don't do that because they don't want to seem like they're running up the score. But who gives a damn? If you don't run up the score, you give them a chance of coming back."

Though the Raiders haven't allowed their assistant coaches to speak with the media for most of the season, Trestman's performance as Oakland's first-year offensive coordinator -- replacing Callahan -- has done quite a bit of talking on his own behalf.

While many speculated that Oakland and Gannon would struggle with their offensive guru gone to Tampa Bay, the Raiders clearly haven't been the same team without Gruden. They've been better.

The Raiders' 450 points ranked second in the league, their passing game and total offense earned top billing, and they increased their yards-per-game average by more than 50 yards this season.

Equally valuable has been the Raiders' offensive unpredictability. Some teams think outside the box. Oakland carves up the box, sets fire to it and throws the ashes to the wind.

Tell me if this isn't music to your ears. :P

Quote:

"It keeps us players with that edge," Raiders guard Frank Middleton said of Trestman's play-calling. "We never sat on the ball this year, and I kind of like that. We always tried to step on their throat and kick them in the mouth when they're down. I think our team has taken on the same attitude, that aggressive attitude. I think we have more big plays this year than we did last year, and it's all because of Marc Trestman and coach Callahan."

"I love his approach," said Porter, the third-year Raiders receiver who has blossomed this season in Trestman's wide-open passing game. "There were times last year under coach [Jon] Gruden when we'd be playing teams, get a lead, and we'd go into our big personnel [package] and start running the ball. We'd go three and out and punt it, and they'd go score, giving them hope. "All of a sudden, it's crunch time and we're only up two or three points and we've made the game a lot closer than it should have been. Whereas with Trestman, if we're up by 14, we're going to try and go up by 21. Rather than milk the clock and coast on in with a win.

I would be REAL interested to see what he could do with Kaep, Gore, and LMJ in the passing game.
We were lucky last year not to loose anyone other than Engram. I dont believe this year with all the openings we will be as lucky. I believe we may loose at least 2.
This thread is a distraction to this season...let,s worry about this after the season is over...
Can't see Seely leaving since the special teams has degraded, nothing physically wrong with Ackers (injury) and he (Seely) hasn't figured it out. So expect him to stay. Of the two, I would keep Fangio than Roman. Still I would not be surprised if we decide to promote from within. Harbaugh, probably would make our QB coach the OC and Tomosula or our LB coach the DC. However, I don't know if Fangio is interested in a HC job, once heard he wasn't really interested in being a HC, when you go to a place, who is your GM and owner? Can you work with them or are they bone heads? Also, what is the talent level you will be walking into? Like the Jets are strapped because of the Sanchez contract that will affect them big time, but whoever takes over will be handicapped and blamed inadverdently for any future failures.

As for Turner, he is a good OC and bad HC, but there is always someone foolish enough to give him a chance in the future. The inside track is likely to be Dallas for his services, that is, if he can stomach working for his student. Then again, it is Jerry Jones calling the shots, not the head coach. The thing to worry about is if we lose one of our Coordinators, how many position coaches will he drag with him from our staff? He goes, likely to drag 2 others at least.
Not too worried. I think Harbaugh has the kind of reputation that will always attract quality assistants. He just has to make the right hires.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
This thread is a distraction to this season...let,s worry about this after the season is over...

Hahaha-how can it be a distraction we are only fans and not one of the coaches or players etc. Whether you like if or not, it has begun, our player personell director is already being sought for an interview.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Distraction how exactly? And to whom?
Originally posted by WildBill:
Hahaha-how can it be a distraction we are only fans and not one of the coaches or players etc. Whether you like if or not, it has begun, our player personell director is already being sought for an interview.

Atlanta's offensive coordinator has three scheduled interviews to be a head coach. Their special teams coach has two. Not sure how anyone can ignore this going on.
Roman can go. Norv can come back.
My only worry is retaining Fangio. He's the one guy we can't afford to lose.