There are 284 users in the forums

Week 17: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Hopefully as we go into the playoffs we can work a 1-2 punch with Crabs and Vernon
Marvin noted the difference in Smith vs Kaep in targeting Vernon. I think it has to do with the way each throws. Smith has more touch and arc and so can throw over defenders better than Kaep. This is better for the inside routes that tight ends usually run. Remember when Vernon got his clocked cleaned in Seattle? Kaep's throw was on a line and high so Vernon had to jump and then couldn't defend himself.

Vernon didnt have to jump; he chose to jump because he doesnt have the confidence to reach out with hands to make the snatch like a Crabtree does. In my estimation, vernon did that to himself.
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
Hopefully as we go into the playoffs we can work a 1-2 punch with Crabs and Vernon
Marvin noted the difference in Smith vs Kaep in targeting Vernon. I think it has to do with the way each throws. Smith has more touch and arc and so can throw over defenders better than Kaep. This is better for the inside routes that tight ends usually run. Remember when Vernon got his clocked cleaned in Seattle? Kaep's throw was on a line and high so Vernon had to jump and then couldn't defend himself.

Vernon didnt have to jump; he chose to jump because he doesnt have the confidence to reach out with hands to make the snatch like a Crabtree does. In my estimation, vernon did that to himself.

Hard to disagree. For as much as Vernon has improved over the years, he is still not a natural pass catching TE. It doesn't seem like he knows how to sit underneath in zone coverage and he still doesn't use his hands enough. If he ever learns those two things, he could be HOF good.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:

Hard to disagree. For as much as Vernon has improved over the years, he is still not a natural pass catching TE. It doesn't seem like he knows how to sit underneath in zone coverage and he still doesn't use his hands enough. If he ever learns those two things, he could be HOF good.

He certainly isn't as natural a pass catcher as a Tony Gonzolves, but he's a better all-around TE. I agree that if he continues working on catching with his hands, he might end up the best in the business. As far as that pass was concerned though, watch the play again. Kaepernick actually takes a little off the pass and puts more arc on it in what I think is an effort to make it easier for Vernon to catch it. One of Kaepernick's fastballs would have gotten there a lot quicker. I think Kaepernick shows real smarts while he's playing. The idea that he would have the mental discipline to take something off that throw because it's going to Davis is impressive to me. And again, Davis definitely does not need to jump for that pass.
Share 49ersWebzone