There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 17: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Its crazy how it works! Last year it was we cant win with fieldgoals! Now its damn whats up with akers!?
Originally posted by echav4949:
Its crazy how it works! Last year it was we cant win with fieldgoals! Now its damn whats up with akers!?

No what people were saying last year is that you can't win relying primarily on field goals, meaning that we should be trying to score TDs, but that doesn't mean field goals aren't important. You're going to have to kick field goals during games, so you need a kicker that can make them. A playoff game could very well be lost because of a missed field goal.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
1. The running game is much less dominant because they are using less Jumbo packages - even when the Jumbos didn't necessarily get a bunch of yards, combined with the outside runs of Hunter, they wore down the opposing D.

2. Goodwin appears to be a liability holding his blocks in both the pass and run game. Inside pressure is killing Gore's primary run lanes - this won't be lost on the play-off teams we will face. The need to get LMJ working on the perimeter more - but that doesn't stop the defense from keying on the inside run lanes when Gore is in the game. Maybe that is why they are running the 3-back pistol more - so Gore and LMJ confront the defense with both the inside and outside threat at the same time.

3. The pass scheme / route combinations are horrible - they often draw coverage right to the primary receiver. The only exception is when they run the underneath crossing routes - but that is predictable as heck now. The ONLY legitimate reason they may be so basic is that they are trying to simplify the QB reads. But is really limiting the passing game's efficiency. Otherwise we need some real improvement in the OC passing scheme development.

Our OC doesn't have anything to do with the passing game. We do OC "by committee." The WR and TE coach installs the passing game. Roman does the running game. I have an issue with this because our O has always looked like there were "too many hands in the cookie jar." That's why we look so discombobulated at times. The whole point of having a "coordinator" is to coordinate. Maybe that's why it looks so....undeveloped....mediocre....how about Jim Hostlerish?
Originally posted by BayArea:
The free agent kickers out there are trash. We are better off sticking with Akers for now. Personally I think something is up with him injury wise. No choice but to play through it and it is f**king us in the ass royally.

I do not understand this mentality. Akers is hurt and/or a head case. So, we know, for a fact, exactly how much he sucks. Plus the staff knows, exactly what his problem is (injury severity, what's wrong with his head). What else to ST coaches do? Since we know what we have with Akers, who can't be depended on at all, why not TRY someone else? Maybe they are garbage, but can they really be ANY WORSE? Akers is a known failure, and known to be injured. Those are just the facts. I never understood playing a marginally better player, if that is what you consider Akers, over an at least HEALTHY alternative.

This is an EASY call. Get someone else in there.

Duh!
[ Edited by GoldandGarnet on Dec 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
LAMICHAEL JAMES needs to get more snaps.
I flat out enjoyed reading you thread
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by echav4949:

No what people were saying last year is that you can't win relying primarily on field goals, meaning that we should be trying to score TDs, but that doesn't mean field goals aren't important. You're going to have to kick field goals during games, so you need a kicker that can make them. A playoff game could very well be lost because of a missed field goal.

No argument here just what a difference a year makes. Same can be said about ginn and kyle williams.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post as usual.

Here's my input.

1). RJF played better and I feel he can really improve - ONLY if he can continue to get more playing time. You can't get better by not playing.

2). The war is won in the trenches and Aldon is not getting sacks because Justin isn't there to occupy blockers. Another reason to get a better DLine rotation.

3). Delaine had a solid game - not great but better than many he's had this season. I didn't notice - Did he have any drops yesterday?

4). Akers is a HUGE question mark and frankly, I don't really know how to address it. If these FA kickers were worth anything - they'd be playing for another team. Maybe hypnosis?

5). Ginn scares me. It seems, IMO, that he doesn't care, I don't feel any fire & passion from him. I hope he doesn't blow it in the playoffs.

6). Props to Kap on that 2nd TD pass to crabs - perfectly thrown.

7). Crabs is improving every week. It seems he is running with more power & strength.

8). Play calling was better as the game progressed. It will need to get a lot better for the playoffs.

9). HUGE props to the Niner Fans who gave Alex a standing ovation. That was real Class!

Thanks again Marv!
All of this.

ESPECIALLY #9. Smith has been an absolute warrior for the San Francisco 49ers. From day one his heart has been a 9er and he has endured never before seen levels of chaos, in the end to become one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. Two muffed punts from the Superbowl.

And I know he won every true 9er fans heart when he personally went looking for that beautiful little girl who was kidnapped and has yet to be found. He was out there walking through fields trying to find her.

Alex Smith, you are forever a San Francisco 49er Great.
i just want to know which 9er fans are'nt facing thier labels out when Akers kicks? C'mon guys get it together and do your part.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
1. The running game is much less dominant because they are using less Jumbo packages - even when the Jumbos didn't necessarily get a bunch of yards, combined with the outside runs of Hunter, they wore down the opposing D.

2. Goodwin appears to be a liability holding his blocks in both the pass and run game. Inside pressure is killing Gore's primary run lanes - this won't be lost on the play-off teams we will face. The need to get LMJ working on the perimeter more - but that doesn't stop the defense from keying on the inside run lanes when Gore is in the game. Maybe that is why they are running the 3-back pistol more - so Gore and LMJ confront the defense with both the inside and outside threat at the same time.

3. The pass scheme / route combinations are horrible - they often draw coverage right to the primary receiver. The only exception is when they run the underneath crossing routes - but that is predictable as heck now. The ONLY legitimate reason they may be so basic is that they are trying to simplify the QB reads. But is really limiting the passing game's efficiency. Otherwise we need some real improvement in the OC passing scheme development.

Agree on 2 and 3 but not on 1 per se. The problem with the heavy sets is that everyone knows what is coming, and they load up. The result is just too many bodies in too small an area. No where was this more apparent than in the red zone against Seattle. While the 49ers tried to load up the heavy stuff, the Seahawks used the spread most of the time. The result was that is opened up the defense and Wilson had easy pickings to throw for TDs. Truth is, the league has scouted Harbaugh and knows what is coming. Time for new stuff. The spread might be OK but the 49ers are a tad short on reliable receivers right now.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
That line Harbaugh had about Akers after the game is the closest thing I've ever seen to Harbaugh complaining about a player. He just doesn't usually do that. I think they're going to try to replace Akers and I think that might be a good idea. Akers, for whatever reason, has turned into a head case. This misses have nothing to do with his skill and everything to do with his mind. He's gone into a funk before. He was fired from the Eagles for going into a similar funk and booting them from the playoffs. We don't want that to happen to the Niners. There's got to be someone on that list of available kickers who can make 5 out of 6 40 yarders.

I hate to be the one to start rumors but there was a fan yesterday who told me his son has cancer (or some other serious medical condition) and is struggling financially right now? He even went so far as suggesting that he may be taking some payoffs particularly in the Rams games. I have no idea if ANY of this is even remotely true but it did raise an eyebrow...how one goes from the NFL record books to this while Harbaugh continues to stay with the guy who's cost us so much? If Harbaugh can replace a passing leader QB on a whim but stay with a consistently poor FG kicker who also costs us on kick offs? And if he IS hurt, again, why not rest him? Odd...

Conspiracy theorist can take over from here...LOL

Unless the cancer in his daughter has returned, that story was from his last year in Philly.
Goodwin is not getting it done. The weakest link on the offensive line, and has been all season. I sure hope Kilgore is ready to step in next season.
Originally posted by 49erJim:
you can really see what a huge loss Justin Smith is the our deline and Aldon Smith. 3 games with zero sacks with no Justin Smith by your side tells the entire story. The 49ers better pray that Justin can play in the playoffs or we could be inline for an upset.

If this were a contract year for Justin, the results of the last two games would earn him a doubling of his salary.
Kap and Vernon: Man, this is go out on the field, and work on routes, back shoulder, high hard ones, low ones, 1 steppers, 3 steppers, the works. And repeat the combined workout repeatedly until these two guys get it down. The comment re: Vernon not getting open? Well, he needs to talk to Manningham or Crabs, for that matter. Mario showed crabs how to get off LOS, shake and bake on a comebacker, fake left, run right after a catch, and so on. Crabs has had the talent all along. He needed Mario and Moss to show him how to get clear of cover guys. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. I hope kap and vernon are doing this as of right now.

Kap, O calls, and passes: Kap has the BIG ARM. Roman thinks that when SEA stacks 8, 9, or 10 guys on LOS, we need Kap to throw a 7 stepper. This is painfully obvious, yet roman can't comprehend, that a bunch of 1 and 2 steppers for completions, (and kap has to take some heat off the ball on a 5 yard pass), will ultimately get the box 8 or 9 or 10 off the dam LOS. Then, once backed off, Kap can throw the bombs, but 20 yrds is a lot better than 50(w/lower completion rate). Also, once say, SEA , backs off LOS, then turn frank loose.Problem on O, esp. starting off games, is Roman thinks BIG ARM, BIG PASS. Also, i suspect many of you have noted that after roman screwed up our O calls in SEA game, Coach H took out his play chart and started calling the O game himself. Note, this also happened against Cards, when our O went nowhere in the first qtr. By second Qtr, JH had playcall chart in hand and called the game himself. For those who are worried about what happens if roman goes.... I just hope the door doesn't hit roman in his azz on the way out. If somebody else wants roman fine.
The great thing about having a HC who is also an OC is....it doesn't matter if OC leaves. We are still ok. But when a team, eg, the 49ers hires a DC as HC(Noln, anyone, or much worse, BM?)....well, then you have to hire a great OC....who is going to have one eye on his job and the other eye on his next HC job.(Norv turner, for example) As for DCs, fangio has been fine, but his hesitance to call blitzes is infuriating.In the SEA game, it would have made a huge difference. We still may have lost, but we would have shut wilson down

In the Rams/SEA game, what did Coach Fisher do? Yup, he blitzed the daylights out of Russell wilson, for what? 7 sacks or was it 8.? Fangio could have done the same thing...but just doesn't. In any event if we see the seahawks again in playoffs, if fangio is calling blitzes, we win. If not, we lose. As for losing fangio in the coaching musical chairs game? Doesn't bother me. He has come to represent mediocrity and not much imagination. Now he has to come up with something to compensate for NO JUSTIN, or a vastly less dominant Justin. Just playing the same no- blitz D anymore isn't going to get us much beyond one game in playoffs. For me, fangio has to come up with some stellar coaching in playoffs to keep his job.

Akers: Good news is, JH did what I had been hoping since Akers fell off. In short, he went for it on 4th and short or 4th and 8. And we converted 2, maybe 3 of those puppies. There is nothing wrong with getting Akers closer if ball is on 30, and going for it. It actually worked out to our benefit. Sure I would like to see the Akers of 2011, but it isn't happening. So instead of getting another "has been", just go for it on 4th down, and get it closer for Akers. Pretty simple answer to an awkward situation. Akers has been fine on PATS, so getting him closer, a lot closer, is the answer here, hands down.

Nice review Marvin, but as mentioned, and you know, most of first half of your piece was a rehash of Kap.and his virtues over alex. Hey, I've said my piece, and am fully behind Kap, as I would be with any 49er qb. The big things now are, Kap learning how to take the mustard off his 5 yd dinks and dunks, and also, learning to vacate the pocket. He is much better and more deadly on the run, and much less so in pocket....oh, yes, i mean the pocket that is supposed to be there. That again is a roman issue with kap. We aren't going to get much more than a 2-3 second protection pocket around kap, so roman HAS to factor that in and call plays accordingly. Throwing a 60 yarder, incomplete, on first play from scrimmage in the rain and sleet from our 15 yd line in SEATTLE, is not my idea of a good play caller. As I said earlier, I hope the door doesn't hit roman in the azz on the way out. Hopefully, somebody desperately needs him in KC, AZ, Cleveland, chicago, etc

Two last thots: think of putting vernon in the slot and delanie playing TE. The other is to keep feeding AJ until he gets it. The kid is going to be good, just needs to get self confidence, which he obviously lacks..Most likely he will get minimum coverage and hopefully once started will get on a roll.

OK, last thot: man did we ever get lucky that Vikes had to beat GB in order to make playoffs. That trip to Lambeaux field didn't look all that appetizing. Who knows, Coach H changing horses in way past midstream at QB, the probable loss of justin, the emergence of crabs, and now La michael....maybe the stars are aligning. Would love to see AJ catch fire, and right now would be a very good time.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Kap and Vernon: Man, this is go out on the field, and work on routes, back shoulder, high hard ones, low ones, 1 steppers, 3 steppers, the works. And repeat the combined workout repeatedly until these two guys get it down. The comment re: Vernon not getting open? Well, he needs to talk to Manningham or Crabs, for that matter. Mario showed crabs how to get off LOS, shake and bake on a comebacker, fake left, run right after a catch, and so on. Crabs has had the talent all along. He needed Mario and Moss to show him how to get clear of cover guys. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. I hope kap and vernon are doing this as of right now.

Kap, O calls, and passes: Kap has the BIG ARM. Roman thinks that when SEA stacks 8, 9, or 10 guys on LOS, we need Kap to throw a 7 stepper. This is painfully obvious, yet roman can't comprehend, that a bunch of 1 and 2 steppers for completions, (and kap has to take some heat off the ball on a 5 yard pass), will ultimately get the box 8 or 9 or 10 off the dam LOS. Then, once backed off, Kap can throw the bombs, but 20 yrds is a lot better than 50(w/lower completion rate). Also, once say, SEA , backs off LOS, then turn frank loose.Problem on O, esp. starting off games, is Roman thinks BIG ARM, BIG PASS. Also, i suspect many of you have noted that after roman screwed up our O calls in SEA game, Coach H took out his play chart and started calling the O game himself. Note, this also happened against Cards, when our O went nowhere in the first qtr. By second Qtr, JH had playcall chart in hand and called the game himself. For those who are worried about what happens if roman goes.... I just hope the door doesn't hit roman in his azz on the way out. If somebody else wants roman fine.
The great thing about having a HC who is also an OC is....it doesn't matter if OC leaves. We are still ok. But when a team, eg, the 49ers hires a DC as HC(Noln, anyone, or much worse, BM?)....well, then you have to hire a great OC....who is going to have one eye on his job and the other eye on his next HC job.(Norv turner, for example) As for DCs, fangio has been fine, but his hesitance to call blitzes is infuriating.In the SEA game, it would have made a huge difference. We still may have lost, but we would have shut wilson down

In the Rams/SEA game, what did Coach Fisher do? Yup, he blitzed the daylights out of Russell wilson, for what? 7 sacks or was it 8.? Fangio could have done the same thing...but just doesn't. In any event if we see the seahawks again in playoffs, if fangio is calling blitzes, we win. If not, we lose. As for losing fangio in the coaching musical chairs game? Doesn't bother me. He has come to represent mediocrity and not much imagination. Now he has to come up with something to compensate for NO JUSTIN, or a vastly less dominant Justin. Just playing the same no- blitz D anymore isn't going to get us much beyond one game in playoffs. For me, fangio has to come up with some stellar coaching in playoffs to keep his job.

Akers: Good news is, JH did what I had been hoping since Akers fell off. In short, he went for it on 4th and short or 4th and 8. And we converted 2, maybe 3 of those puppies. There is nothing wrong with getting Akers closer if ball is on 30, and going for it. It actually worked out to our benefit. Sure I would like to see the Akers of 2011, but it isn't happening. So instead of getting another "has been", just go for it on 4th down, and get it closer for Akers. Pretty simple answer to an awkward situation. Akers has been fine on PATS, so getting him closer, a lot closer, is the answer here, hands down.

Nice review Marvin, but as mentioned, and you know, most of first half of your piece was a rehash of Kap.and his virtues over alex. Hey, I've said my piece, and am fully behind Kap, as I would be with any 49er qb. The big things now are, Kap learning how to take the mustard off his 5 yd dinks and dunks, and also, learning to vacate the pocket. He is much better and more deadly on the run, and much less so in pocket....oh, yes, i mean the pocket that is supposed to be there. That again is a roman issue with kap. We aren't going to get much more than a 2-3 second protection pocket around kap, so roman HAS to factor that in and call plays accordingly. Throwing a 60 yarder, incomplete, on first play from scrimmage in the rain and sleet from our 15 yd line in SEATTLE, is not my idea of a good play caller. As I said earlier, I hope the door doesn't hit roman in the azz on the way out. Hopefully, somebody desperately needs him in KC, AZ, Cleveland, chicago, etc

Two last thots: think of putting vernon in the slot and delanie playing TE. The other is to keep feeding AJ until he gets it. The kid is going to be good, just needs to get self confidence, which he obviously lacks..Most likely he will get minimum coverage and hopefully once started will get on a roll.

OK, last thot: man did we ever get lucky that Vikes had to beat GB in order to make playoffs. That trip to Lambeaux field didn't look all that appetizing. Who knows, Coach H changing horses in way past midstream at QB, the probable loss of justin, the emergence of crabs, and now La michael....maybe the stars are aligning. Would love to see AJ catch fire, and right now would be a very good time.

posts ridiculously long post. feels the need to shorten the word "thoughts". adds extra letters to other words