There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 17: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Hopefully as we go into the playoffs we can work a 1-2 punch with Crabs and Vernon
Marvin noted the difference in Smith vs Kaep in targeting Vernon. I think it has to do with the way each throws. Smith has more touch and arc and so can throw over defenders better than Kaep. This is better for the inside routes that tight ends usually run. Remember when Vernon got his clocked cleaned in Seattle? Kaep's throw was on a line and high so Vernon had to jump and then couldn't defend himself.
VD didn't need to jump to catch that pass. If he'd kept in stride and caught it with his hands he would have scored. Instead he jumped forward and caught the ball with his arms, cradling it. He has a bad habit of jumping for catches and catching with his arms, and he got clocked on that play because of it. IMHO.

9). HUGE props to the Niner Fans who gave Alex a standing ovation. That was real Class

That was awesome, it was nice for the crowd to show him their appreciation after he got booed out in that stadium about 2 years ago.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
VD didn't need to jump to catch that pass. If he'd kept in stride and caught it with his hands he would have scored. Instead he jumped forward and caught the ball with his arms, cradling it. He has a bad habit of jumping for catches and catching with his arms, and he got clocked on that play because of it. IMHO.

No, he absolutely did NOT need to jump. Davis is still a little iffy on catching Kaepernick's passes. I think he was expecting it to come harder and tried to cradle it rather than take a chance on catching it only with his hands. He's still getting used to the fastballs. Davis is a great all-around tight end, but his hands are still a work in progress. To me, he doesn't seem to be a natural receiver like Tony Gonzolez or Jimmy Grahm. When he gets used to Kaepernicks passes, hopefully in the next couple of weeks, he'll be awesome again.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

9). HUGE props to the Niner Fans who gave Alex a standing ovation. That was real Class

That was awesome, it was nice for the crowd to show him their appreciation after he got booed out in that stadium about 2 years ago.
That was such a great moment. It really made me feel good.
Originally posted by natrone06:
A couple points....

Vernons lack of production started three games prior to Ck being the starting qb.

Since Ck has become the starter he has the 2nd most completions over 25 yards of any qb in the lg.

Anyone else getting more and more excited about Lamichael James?

I definitely am. He has looked even better than Gore
My two cents about why they haven't been able to get VD more involved is that, in addition to using him as a blocker, VD is actually not the best route runner, which limits the ability of the OC to find creative ways to get him the ball. Eric Davis actually talked about that a few weeks ago. He said that VD only runs basic routes (straight line, 45 degree angle, 90 degree angle) because he is not very shifty, which makes it easier for defenses to double team him and take him out of the game. He excels in man-to-man coverage because of his size, strength, and straight line speed. That's why it's so important for other players to step up in order to force defenses to account for other weapons, allowing VD to get open. I'm hoping that with Crabtree shining recently, this open up opportunities for VD, as now defenses have to account for Crabs.
you can really see what a huge loss Justin Smith is the our deline and Aldon Smith. 3 games with zero sacks with no Justin Smith by your side tells the entire story. The 49ers better pray that Justin can play in the playoffs or we could be inline for an upset.

I remember Jerry Rice b***hing big time about Steve Yound's reverse passes and he did in fact have a lot of trouble with Steve's passes. I hope Akers does not end up ending our season......
Originally posted by 49erJim:
you can really see what a huge loss Justin Smith is the our deline and Aldon Smith. 3 games with zero sacks with no Justin Smith by your side tells the entire story. The 49ers better pray that Justin can play in the playoffs or we could be inline for an upset.

I remember Jerry Rice b***hing big time about Steve Yound's reverse passes and he did in fact have a lot of trouble with Steve's passes. I hope Akers does not end up ending our season......

The Niners are trying out kickers (again)

https://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/status/285839996668227584
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Sorry, NC, but the part about "particularly in the Rams games" sounds like a load of fertilizer, the organic kind.

Haha...betting lines was his position (games where him making a FG could make a difference). I didn't buy it either despite corruption in all sports but I was more curious about the personal issues that may be affecting his head.
Even though Ginn hasn't been a major factor on Special Teams i would rather him call a fair catch over letting the ball ALMOST hit his knee again like in the Patriots game. I believe Ginn still can return one all the way for a TD, might see it in the playoffs, might even see it in the SUPERBOWL.. Yes i know let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Watching the game I posted we should switch back to Alex Smith, but Marvin is right on Kaep. Kaep can give the team the quick strike, the push the ball forward much more than Alex. I just think Kaep can't lose his running instincts as he keeps learning the QB position. That is a a vital part of his game and a strength.

AJ Jenkins---he looks so skinny--the offseason will be huge for him to gain strength, he should work with Jerry Rice. Kaep and AJ need to work this bye week on getting some kind of chemistry because the better defenses in the playoffs will try and take Crabtree away.

Defense--we need Justin Smith to play--he will probably be rotated in and out.

I think the playoffs set up well for the Niners--there is no dominant defense on the road the team has to play---we can make it to the Super Bowl and win a great game with Denver.

Akers---i close my eyes when he kicks a FG, I don't think a change will be made for the playoffs, but he is gone for 2013.

I think the Niners have to play defense like Washington is--lots of blitzing up the middle--it is pressure the QB or bust this postseason.

The bye will finally allow the defense to physically recover from those 92 plays against the Pats.
Great post, again.

Totally agree with all points. I am man enough to admit that I was extremely hard on Crabs in the offseason. I really considered him a bust. It's become quite clear that Crabs big play ability was held back by Alex's inability to throw the ball deep accurately in the spots Crabs need them. Clearly, the Kaep to Crabs combo is becoming lethal. Plus, I think the issue with the V. Davis/C. Kaep. connection has more to do with chemistry, and perhaps play design. kaep and Crabs seem to have very good chemistry and it gelling at the right time. As I watch the games I really don't think Vernon is doing anything wrong. It seems more plays are designed to go the Crabs because defenses are keying on Vernon (and Gore).

I think Jenkins is gonna be fine as well, but he's gonna have to take better advantage of his chances. But I have to say I'm a little disappointed. Going into the playoffs teams will begin to take Crabs away so Jenkins will have to step up. As for Ginn, well, his performance doesn't at all surprise me. In fact I thought we should have cut him during the offseason. Notice that Jenkins has been the 3rd WR as of late, and Ginn doesn't appear to be injured. So I have to beleive that A.J. is getting better in practice. Plus, he seems not all that interested in really returning punts either, and when he does it don't appear to me he's putting in much effort to run one back. I'm worried about his spot for the playoffs.
Akers was cut from Eagles for the same reason as he lost confidence in the playoffs.
The free agent kickers out there are trash. We are better off sticking with Akers for now. Personally I think something is up with him injury wise. No choice but to play through it and it is f**king us in the ass royally.
Points are at a premium in the playoffs and Akers troubles spell disaster.
I also wanted to concur with everyone about the class Niner fans showed when they cheered for Alex. I think Alex has always proven to be a class act, and regardless of our individual opinions about Harbaugh's QB decision we should all agree that Alex Smith has been one of the most dignified, classiest, most hard-working, and most professional Niners ever. To see fans giving him an ovation in what could be his last regular season appearance as a Niner, after all that he's been through, must feel really good for Alex.