There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Screen Pass

• fip24
  • Veteran
Is it just me or does it seem like the Niners never run screens? With the ability of the O line to pull/run and the RAC ability of Crabs, Moss, LaMike, VD and Gore it would seem like an obvious weapon.
Originally posted by fip24:
Is it just me or does it seem like the Niners never run screens? With the ability of the O line to pull/run and the RAC ability of Crabs, Moss, LaMike, VD and Gore it would seem like an obvious weapon.

it isnt you. We dont run many. I always felt Kendall was a great option to run the screen too. James looks like he could score on one from anywhere. We should run more of them.
We get beat on them so often, I'm surprised we don't insert them into our offense.

Once again, that's what happens when you promote a college "running game coordinator" to offensive coordinator in the NFL.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Once again, that's what happens when you promote a college "running game coordinator" to offensive coordinator in the NFL.

I agree about the screens but I think a lot of people have forgotten just how vanilla this offense was just two short years ago under Singletary. The current offensive product is more fun to watch then anything the niners have put out in the last ten years and far less predictable.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I agree about the screens but I think a lot of people have forgotten just how vanilla this offense was just two short years ago under Singletary. The current offensive product is more fun to watch then anything the niners have put out in the last ten years and far less predictable.

Meh. A lot of the "unpredictable" stuff also isn't very effective. When it comes to the passing game, this team is actually doing worse statistically than they were doing a few years ago. The problem with Roman is that he can't/refuses to adjust, doesn't know how to maintain proper offensive rhythm, setup plays to be used for later in the game and utilize all the weapons the 49ers have properly. A better offensive mind would be taking guys like LMJ and using them to maximum effect on screens....etc. He might have some good ideas when it comes to running the ball, but that is about it.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

Meh. A lot of the "unpredictable" stuff also isn't very effective. When it comes to the passing game, this team is actually doing worse statistically than they were doing a few years ago. The problem with Roman is that he can't/refuses to adjust, doesn't know how to maintain proper offensive rhythm, setup plays to be used for later in the game and utilize all the weapons the 49ers have properly. A better offensive mind would be taking guys like LMJ and using them to maximum effect on screens....etc. He might have some good ideas when it comes to running the ball, but that is about it.

Well you have to remember that a few years ago the niners were often playing from behind so that often infalted our passing stats. I will agree that Roman can be frustrating at times. Often taking risks at the wrong times and seems unwilling to break away from the original gameplan and make ingame adjustments but overall I think he's a solid coordinator. We have a very good run blocking o-line and he seems to use that as a great tool for success. I think he uses his players pretty well overall and it may be to soon to ask why he doesn't get guys like LMJ more involved on screens and such because LMJ has been getting more and more incorporated into the offense over the last few weeks and with us now having two weeks until our next game, hopefully these will be some of the things we implement. I still get that feeling that we will go all out in the playoffs and hold nothing back.

I still think back to some of those plays last year hitting Joe Staley and Soap for those big gains and the long touchdown pass to Miller against the Redskins. He's a pretty creative guy and you think back to that Chicago game this season, I remember Gruden often talking about the complexity of the 49ers schemes and how they use pretty insane, creative and original formations and plays that the league has never seen before. I just think that the guy does deserve some credit for turning an offense that metaphorically speaking was like watching a turd getting flushed down the toilet to atleast now when we open the lid, we don't know what to expect to see in the water.
It drives me up the wall, Mr. Fip.

As I've mentioned repeatedly, our offensive scheme invites teams to hedge their bets in the middle of the field and blitz aggressively through the middle of the line. For whatever the reason, Roman just doesn't like to use screens or slants to punish defenses for getting predictable.
Would also like to see the backs catch more balls outta the backfield on designed sideline routes from the pistol/gun (and not just as a checkdown). Gore caught one late in the game yesterday and although it was a good gain, couldn't help but think LMJ wouldve score with that play.
Would like to see more screens from our team. Maybe we will in a couple weeks.
Screen passes work when the defense is pinning its ears back and rushing hard. Since the 49ers play a power game featuring many runs and high percentage plays we haven't had a ton of situations where defensive ends have over-committed. CK is such a dangerous weapon outside the pocket that even though they are rushing, defenders have been paying MUCH better attention to not being so aggressive and thus are staying home a bit more than they were against Smith. Although screens can be effective at the right time, these factors make it a lower % play than it would be for say the Green Bay Packers.

Scheme-wise, the pistol formation for us really is about the run, run-option, and play action. Defenses counter this by stacking the box, spreading out the LB's and paying more attention to staying in their gaps. Not an optimal scenario for the screens.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Dec 31, 2012 at 8:19 AM ]
I said the same thing today and was in such denial that I said we MUST BE saving it for lamichael in the playoffs bc no oc would be that stupid to not run a screen with one of the most shifty elusive players in football