LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

If no SB, Is this Season considered a Bust!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If no SB, Is this Season considered a Bust!

Heck no...this just year two of a brand new regime. You can't be spoiled by the quick turn around and demand a Super Bowl right out of the gate. Now if we are having ths conversation at the end of year 4, then I would have to say yes. But we are deep in the hunt for the second time in two years, and are generally improving as evidenced by holding our own against tougher competition.
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Originally posted by susweel:
No

After 8 years of losing I have changed my opinion on what a successful season is. A winning record and making it to the playoffs is now a successful season for me. A super bowl win is a cherry on top that only one team can claim.

Only losers get "used" to losing... Good for you, now you don't have to be so disappointed.

How is having a winning record and making it to the playoffs being a "loser". I don't get it. The very fact that you do means your better than two thirds of the rest of the league. Sus said going to the superbowl is the icing on the cake moment. He's right. If you look at the league superbowl victories are rare for most franchises even ours. If one team wins the superbowl each year does that make the other 31 all losers? Gonna be a lot of disappointment and anger if we use this unrealistic criteria to determine how we feel about our team, the coaches, management and ownership.
So far 66% say yes? That's ridiculous. Even dynasty teams don't win the Super Bowl every year, far from it fact. At no point were we ever even the favorite to win it all. I think a lot of fans are so drunk from finally having good team that they have unrealistic expectations.

There are 32 teams in the NFL, and the 49ers are so good that not winning it all means the season is a failure? Please.
[ Edited by USArmyParatrooper on Dec 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM ]
No it is absolutely not a bust! People who voted yes, don't remember how bad it was during the Dark Years. In the play offs for the second straight year and possibly a 2 seed, how could that be a bust? We have a recipe for future success- a franchise QB and Coach! The future is bright in SF. All you need to do is get in the play offs and anything can happen. Go Niners!
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
This is obvious. We were and should be ready to win now. Lets see if we can stop playing like a bunch of woman out there and make a playoff push.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:
So far 66% say yes? That's ridiculous. Even dynasty teams don't win the Super Bowl every year, far from it fact. At no point were we ever even the favorite to win it all. I think a lot of fans are so drunk from finally having good team that they have unrealistic expectations.

There are 32 teams in the NFL, and the 49ers are so good that not winning it all means the season is a failure? Please.

NFL network,nfl.com and espn said otherwise. They have said on numerous occasions before and thruout the season we were "favorites" or "best team in NFL". We were so close last year and this season will be a bust if we dont win the Superbowl.
Originally posted by Axl49:

NFL network,nfl.com and espn said otherwise. They have said on numerous occasions before and thruout the season we were "favorites" or "best team in NFL". We were so close last year and this season will be a bust if we dont win the Superbowl.

Yeah we've been on and off favorites all year. We're third now.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Well, winning the Super Bowl is kinda the goal, right?

Not achieving a goal is the definition of failure.

I think the problem people are having with this question is that it isn't well defined.

What exactly does "bust" mean?

When you fail to achieve a goal, you take a good hard look at what went wrong and what went right... then you do your best to improve on the things that went wrong. Not a big deal.

Before last season it would have been unrealistic to set the goal of winning the Super Bowl. So, I wasn't upset or disappointed that they didn't.

This season it wasn't unrealistic to set that goal. So, I will be disappointed if they fail.

I'll still think they had a great season and that the future looks bright.

Bonus: 49ers will kick ass in Madden '14
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by Axl49:

Yeah we've been on and off favorites all year. We're third now.

Yeah cause last 6 qrts have been a joke. Instead of getting hot we are going the opposite way. QB can get his head straight. Injuries are taking toll (something we were VERY lucky with last year) a OC who gets out coached every Sunday. A defense who has allowed the most points in last 6 qrts than any other in NFL. Idk we need to win SB that was the goal this year and goal next year.
Harbozo + Kapow = ?????

Can it happen? Will it get done? Will they win us the big dance?

I'm officially pessimistic now...

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Yes.

Harbozo will have turned a super bowl contender into a wild card with his shenanigans

this. he took a major, MAJOR risk. I think most coaches would've waited until the off season to make that move.
It's amusing to me that people think that we where 100% going to win the SB with Alex under center and proclaim that if we don't win it it's all because of the QB switch. It wasn't etched in stone with Alex and it isn't etched in stone with CK.

Harbozo? Really? Do y'all remember the suck that we endured after Mooch left and before Harbaugh? The dude completely turned this franchise around and now he's some chump because of one questionable decision. Crazy talk.
Originally posted by KegBert:
It's amusing to me that people think that we where 100% going to win the SB with Alex under center and proclaim that if we don't win it it's all because of the QB switch. It wasn't etched in stone with Alex and it isn't etched in stone with CK.

Harbozo? Really? Do y'all remember the suck that we endured after Mooch left and before Harbaugh? The dude completely turned this franchise around and now he's some chump because of one questionable decision. Crazy talk.

No one can claim they were 100% sure we would win with Alex. But, our expectation should not change. In the offseason, and throughout the year, the goal has been to win it all. The locker room knows that. Anything short of a superbowl would be disappointing.
This is not a dominant team by any means. It doesn't matter who was at QB, this team would need to play great or exceed their norm in order to win everything.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
this. he took a major, MAJOR risk. I think most coaches would've waited until the off season to make that move.

Statistically it hasn't made one bit of a difference. Not sure why people are still hung up on this, their stats are virtually identical, same struggles on 3rd down, same issues sustaining drives, I chalk a large portion of it up to playcalling primarily. This team could have Manning back there and the offensive coordinator would still find ways to screw it up.
Share 49ersWebzone