LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

If no SB, Is this Season considered a Bust!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If no SB, Is this Season considered a Bust!

Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Yes, we were 6 minutes away from the SB last season, so of course my expectations are SB or bust.

What does that mean exactly? They beat a flawed Saints team that happened to be pretty poor defensively, were terrible on 3rd down and in the redzone and as a result couldn't gain any traction against the Giants in the NFC Championship......and that pattern has continued through much of this year against the better teams. To improve they drafted a bunch of rookies that didn't play and signed aging veterans.

For all the positives of this team, they still have a lot of flaws, not sure why so many were buying into the hype from last year. A lot of things went their way perfectly, the odds that these events would repeat themselves were slim to none. I hope that they make it to the SB and win, but looking at it realistically, they are in a group of 5 or 6 other teams that have as good a chance of getting there as well.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM ]
Originally posted by 49er4life:
Not to me.

1. We have had some major injuries

2. Our Field Goal Kicker has cost us two games and can not be counted on

3. Our run D has been suspect against good running teams

I personally think next year is our year, although a strong showing in the playoffs could make it this year

Forgot to mention special teams as a whole, which has been absolutely brutal.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yes, we were 6 minutes away from the SB last season, so of course my expectations are SB or bust.

What does that mean exactly? They beat a flawed Saints team that happened to be pretty poor defensively, were terrible on 3rd down and in the redzone and as a result couldn't gain any traction against the Giants in the NFC Championship......and that pattern has continued through much of this year against the better teams. To improve they drafted a bunch of rookies that didn't play and signed aging veterans.

For all the positives of this team, they still have a lot of flaws, not sure why so many were buying into the hype. I hope that they make it to the SB and win, but looking at it realistically, they are in a group of 5 or 6 other teams that have as good a chance of getting there as well.

It means exactly what I stated. No need to write two paragraphs to try convince me otherwise. We had the experience, we had the team, we started out strong this year too beating GB in their own house, we're in the playoffs again, so yeah, it's SB or bust.

And another thing, don't discredit that saints team. If we don't beat them, I don't see how they don't win the SB last year. No way do they lose to the Giants in their dome.
[ Edited by blunt_probe on Dec 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by susweel:
Nope that aint got nothing to do with anything. I said in the same thing in the beginning of the year. I didn't think this team was good enough to be a super bowl lock back then I still feel the same way.

Nobody is a lock. But, our goals this year was a Superbowl. Even the Cowboy said it. This year. Sorry, but I really don't think you would say that if Smith was the QB. My expectations have been the same regardless. Harbs also, that is supposedly why he put in Kap. He thinks Kap could get us a ring THIS year.

Im hoping and wishing he can but I can't say the season is a disappointment if we dont. Smith and Kap aint got nothing to do with this topic IMO.

I honestly think last year was our best chance because we came out of no where and everything was lined up as far injuries and home field advantage. Thats why I will forever hate Kyle Williams because he cost us #6.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Yes.

Harbozo will have turned a super bowl contender into a wild card with his shenanigans

Harbozo...how long did it take for you to come up with that one?

Been saying that for 2 weeks

Krapyernickers is only 1 week old
please make sure we keep it civil in here fellas. warnings, suspensions, etc. been going out like crazy lately. so tryna keep a good thread up for a while.

Although, i think we almost to the point where we can count ourselves in the playoffs every year, we arent there just yet.

This is why i think this year was SB or bust.

1. Was everyone's second year in the offense. meaning despite a few tweeks here and there we can just hit the ground running and just building onto what we already do.

2. brought almost everyone back on defense. Now why it would of been crazy to think they could pull of the same + 28 turnover differential, they would still be at least to 5 defense.

3. More offsensive weapons (regardless of if, and when we used them). We all agreed that this was the best receiving corp, in a long time. Not the best we've had ever, lol, just the best we've had lately.

4. We made it all the way to the championship game. Now did it mean we would do it again. heck no. However, if it's just my mindframe then thats ok, but, i said to myself, with no full offseason, we were turnovers away from the SB, but with a full offseason, we'd be ready to handle any diversity, and pull out the wins we need. Not perfect, but now a real force to be reckoned with.

Now look where we were today. it's some of those reasons above that had me feeling almost 95% we'd definitely be back. And it had been a long time since i felt that confident. Now not soo much confidence.

So i think if no SB, that this year will be a bust. But these are our opinions people, lets take no offense.
No

After 8 years of losing I have changed my opinion on what a successful season is. A winning record and making it to the playoffs is now a successful season for me. A super bowl win is a cherry on top that only one team can claim.

You gotta be kidding me. You know what the next question is... when did you change your opinion? When a certain guy you hate was replaced?

This year is Superbowl or bust. Everyone knows it.

Nope that aint got nothing to do with anything. I said in the same thing in the beginning of the year. I didn't think this team was good enough to be a super bowl lock back then I still feel the same way.
Wow, I would think your expectations of winning a superbowl would have increased exponentially since what you most desired came true. Because if they haven't, then what explains all the Smith hate of the last year and a half?

Did you want him gone because of personal dislike, or because you felt the team would be better with a different QB? If the latter, then why haven't your expectation of winning a superbowl increased? I think it would be a logical conclusion.

It can't be you wanted the change because Smith was playing bad football, because he wasn't.
It means exactly what I stated. No need to write two paragraphs to try convince me otherwise. We had the experience, we had the team,

The experience? They won one playoff game and struggled in the second. Not sure how that puts them over any number of other teams who have had that much experience or much more. Statistically, it was more likely that this team would miss the playoffs this year than make the Superbowl, especially with the absurd amount of turnovers which in no way in hell they were going to repeat.

we started out strong this year too beating GB in their own house, we're in the playoffs again, so yeah, it's SB or bust.

Yes, they started out strong, they beat Green Bay, and early in the season, Arizona managed to beat them too. The Packers the 49ers saw early on in the season and the Packers now are hardly the same team. One team is on a roll heading towards the playoffs, the other is limping, stumbling in. It was a nice victory but people overdo it too much.

And another thing, don't descredit that saints team. If we don't beat them, I don't see how they don't win the SB last year. No way do they lose to the Giants in their dome.

None of that changes the fact that they had a lousy defense, the 49ers got them down big courtesy of terrific defense and turnovers, and still couldn't capitalize and had to depend on last minute heroics at home to get the win. Over the past 2 seasons, this offense has been remarkably consistent in showing that it can't deliver big with a lead. The Patriots game was another example of this.
It means exactly what I stated. No need to write two paragraphs to try convince me otherwise. We had the experience, we had the team,

The experience? They won one playoff game and struggled in the second. Not sure how that puts them over any number of other teams who have had that much experience or much more. Statistically, it was more likely that this team would miss the playoffs this year than make the Superbowl, especially with the absurd amount of turnovers which in no way in hell they were going to repeat.
Quote:

we started out strong this year too beating GB in their own house, we're in the playoffs again, so yeah, it's SB or bust.

Yes, they started out strong, they beat Green Bay, and early in the season, Arizona managed to beat them too. The Packers the 49ers saw early on in the season and the Packers now are hardly the same team. One team is on a roll heading towards the playoffs, the other is limping, stumbling in. It was a nice victory but people overdo it too much.

Quote:

And another thing, don't descredit that saints team. If we don't beat them, I don't see how they don't win the SB last year. No way do they lose to the Giants in their dome.

None of that changes the fact that they had a lousy defense, the 49ers got them down big courtesy of terrific defense and turnovers, and still couldn't capitalize and had to depend on last minute heroics at home to get the win. Over the past 2 seasons, this offense has been remarkably consistent in showing that it can't deliver big with a lead. The Patriots game was another example of this.

I'm not reading any of that. All teams have flaws, there is no perfect team. We were right there last year, and those were our expectations at the start of this year. It's SB or bust. Deal.

I'm not reading any of that. All teams have flaws, there is no perfect team. We were right there last year, and those were our expectations at the start of this year. It's SB or bust. Deal.

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it might be.

This offense is still heavily flawed, until this offense becomes reliable and is able to consistently put up points, to become the reason this team actually wins games, and is able to overcome occasional poor efforts by the defense, I don't see how you can expect "Superbowl or bust."

Last year was all about a lot of luck, surprising a lot of teams, terrific and outstanding execution, and some of the best defense of all time. Its like all the stars aligned and everything went perfectly for them, fumbles bouncing their way, lack of injuries to the defense, great matchups in the playoffs......EVERYTHING virtually went their way last year and they couldn't capitalize, not sure why people assumed that they would certainly top that this year.

Had they even had an average offense, nobody would have touched them with all those factors on their side. This year, just the same as last, the offense is underperforming and its the same old story, red-zone struggles, third down struggles, bad playcalling...etc. None of those factors are associated with championship teams. Combine that with a defense that clearly isn't performing at the same level, isn't getting turnovers at the same rate and a special teams that has fallen off a cliff and I have no logical reason to have this team as a "Superbowl or bust", they're just not as good as some imagine them to be.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM ]

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
No

After 8 years of losing I have changed my opinion on what a successful season is. A winning record and making it to the playoffs is now a successful season for me. A super bowl win is a cherry on top that only one team can claim.

You gotta be kidding me. You know what the next question is... when did you change your opinion? When a certain guy you hate was replaced?

This year is Superbowl or bust. Everyone knows it.

Wow, I would think your expectations of winning a superbowl would have increased exponentially since what you most desired came true. Because if they haven't, then what explains all the Smith hate of the last year and a half?

Did you want him gone because of personal dislike, or because you felt the team would be better with a different QB? If the latter, then why haven't your expectation of winning a superbowl increased? I think it would be a logical conclusion.

It can't be you wanted the change because Smith was playing bad football, because he wasn't.

The chances are obviously better with Kap playing in my opinion but Kap aint perfect either he still needs to grow a little bit and also injuries have hurt the team overall. Kunter, Manningam and even KW impact the offense, and now Justin injury is huge.

I dont personally dislike any player because I dont know them on that level.
no, can't predict injuries
The chances are obviously better with Kap playing in my opinion but Kap aint perfect either he still needs to grow a little bit and also injuries have hurt the team overall. Kunter, Manningam and even KW impact the offense, and now Justin injury is huge.

The real question is, do you still want to kick Baalke's ass?

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it might be.

This offense is still flawed, until this offense becomes reliable and is able to consistently put up points, to become the reason this team actually wins games, and is able to overcome occasional poor efforts by the defense, I don't see how you can expect "Superbowl or bust."

Last year was all about a lot of luck, surprising a lot of teams, terrific and outstanding execution, and some of the best defense of all time. Had they even had an average offense, nobody would have touched them with all those factors on their side. This year, just the same as last, the offense is underperforming and its the same old story, red-zone struggles, third down struggles, bad playcalling...etc. None of those factors are associated with championship teams.

It's not wrong, because that's what it it is. All teams have flaws, so I'm not buying that excuse. You have a finite window to win the big one in this league, and ours started last year.
[ Edited by blunt_probe on Dec 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

The real question is, do you still want to kick Baalke's ass?

lol yah if I see him on the streets he gonna catch a fast one for drafting Jenkins.
Share 49ersWebzone