There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cowboy Has Partially Torn Tricep

Our DLine must ball out and pick up the slack. No other way around it.
Originally posted by Squidp:
Our DLine must ball out and pick up the slack. No other way around it.

The problem is that is impossible. Smith is a top 10 player in this league and we do not have an adequete backup.

We need to change our style.
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by KegBert:
I don't know if he will be back for playoffs or not but the injury to Parys was a full tear, Smith's is a partial. So not quite as severe.

That thing is not going to heal in 2-3 weeks....even if we miraculously got the bye back, I don't see him being able to go in 2 weeks, and we'd need him against basically all of the NFC contenders.

Never said it would. Just pointing out the differences in the two injuries. Still holding out hope he may be ready for NFCCG or SB if we make it. RJF just isn't the same caliber of player and if we have to start blitzing a lot to get pressure, we won't fair well against the top tier QB's.
He has a bone spur in the elbow too. Supposedly.
This is not good...
Even if he comes back, he won't be the same. And if he tries to be the same player he could very well tear the rest that isn't already torn.
Btw

Tricep attached to elbow
The team should not play him again this season. All we need it to do more damage and have him not come back the same for next season. I know we want him for the playoffs, but they should not rush this. I know Cowboy will want to play if he feels he can, but the team needs to be smart about this.

Time to experiment against the cards with Aldon on the line at DE, either in a 4-3, shifting bowman to OLB, or in a 3-4 with either bahktiari, or Johnson playing OLB. Maybe shift soap to DE, and have RJF play nose. Not sure, but they should attempt to get it figured out against the cards.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Even if he comes back, he won't be the same. And if he tries to be the same player he could very well tear the rest that isn't already torn.

That's my worry too. God dammit man. He was one of the few players we just couldn't afford to lose. I really hope he can play through it, but like you and others have said, he may not even be half as effective as he was pre-injury. Ugggh...
Originally posted by NinerTeam:
Justin Smith was a big part of our defense, but the team can't use that as an excuse. It's a TEAM game and I still think this TEAM can still win the Superbowl.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
The problem is that is impossible. Smith is a top 10 player in this league and we do not have an adequete backup.

Fangio said this morning its too late into the season to change our style of defense. He did say "Justin is getting better everyday." Ricky Jean said Justin is already back in the weight room running and lifting.
Before the Niners, Fangio was very familiar with the zone-blitz concept and like to blitz a lot. But when he got here, he knew he didnt have to implement that as much because of Justin Smith's presence. I wonder if he dials it up now.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
The team should not play him again this season. All we need it to do more damage and have him not come back the same for next season. I know we want him for the playoffs, but they should not rush this. I know Cowboy will want to play if he feels he can, but the team needs to be smart about this.

Time to experiment against the cards with Aldon on the line at DE, either in a 4-3, shifting bowman to OLB, or in a 3-4 with either bahktiari, or Johnson playing OLB. Maybe shift soap to DE, and have RJF play nose. Not sure, but they should attempt to get it figured out against the cards.

Wouldn't be against this. Even if Smith can play in our first playoff game, I doubt he will be the same player we're all accustomed to seeing. Aldon at DE may not be such a bad idea.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
We need that damn bye!! C'mon Vikings!!
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
This simply means the offense has to get better. Less trick plays and going with the bread and butter stuff with some deep passing sprinkled in. It's time to get serious about sustaining drives and maybe rotating in help for RJF. If they're running at Aldon, then it's time to scheme for that a bit better. Understand your weakness and try to limit it. The best thing the pass defense can do is have better technique. I'm so sick of our DBs looking at the receiver rather than try to play the ball. If you're looking at the receiver catch the ball, it's too late guys. Ed Donnatel, get your boys to turnaround!

Vic, I know you hate to do it, but you're simply going to have to blitz more and with some creativity. You're going to have to take some chances. You're already giving up big plays without Cowboy rushing 4 so get over it and risk bringing some creative heat.
I agree with this. The D w/o Justin is not as good. Time for Fangio to get a little creative.

What about moving RayMac over to the right side, with Aldon? RayMac is the next best DE, after Justin.

And they're gonna have to win the TOP--meaning that the O is gonna have to sustain some long drives, and run the ball more. IMHO.

Great point. RayMac may be more of a natural on the right side and Brooks is excellent at locking down the left edge so he can "cover up" the LDE. Even if Justin can play, maybe having him on the left side could be a benefit and really mess up the OL.

I thought about this earlier having RayMac move to Right DE except in terms that Justin wouldn't come back and RJF just switched with Mac. But then I thought Ray isn't used to the right side and too late in the season for that. However, with the idea Justin will return (even at 70%) maybe his 70% or so at Left DE is as good as RayMac in that spot and then hopefully a 100% Ray gives a little more in Justin's old spot. It's so crazy it just might work!

I thought about this too, only cuz it is what I would do in Madden. But, this ain't Madden. Having said that, why can't Aldon just learn to set the damn edge? Offenses didn't run right at him when JS was there, but right now it is painfully obvious Aldon can't play against the run. He wasnt even TRYING. He was gassed too. He never got low and engaged his blocker. He just got swept away like a toy boat. That's a coaching issue. How is it Brooks can do it? I will tell you why....he doesn't have a JS in front of him. He has HAD to set the edge from day 1.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Fangio said this morning its too late into the season to change our style of defense. He did say "Justin is getting better everyday." Ricky Jean said Justin is already back in the weight room running and lifting.

He's the cowboy. Get well! PLEASE!