There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mario Manningham has a Torn ACL and PCL

Originally posted by dj43:
He isn't a "scrub." He just isn't anyone that is going to cause a good defense to lose any sleep. Remember, he was #3 in NY. He has never come close to fulfilling his pre-draft hype. Sometimes that is just the way it falls.

In any case, his injury status precludes him figuring in any way into fall plans. The best he can hope for is an injury settlement and a chance to hook on somewhere later in the season.

Name a #3 WR who causes a "good defense to lose any sleep".

There haven't been too many of those in the salary cap era.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
He isn't a "scrub." He just isn't anyone that is going to cause a good defense to lose any sleep. Remember, he was #3 in NY. He has never come close to fulfilling his pre-draft hype. Sometimes that is just the way it falls.

In any case, his injury status precludes him figuring in any way into fall plans. The best he can hope for is an injury settlement and a chance to hook on somewhere later in the season.

Name a #3 WR who causes a "good defense to lose any sleep".

There haven't been too many of those in the salary cap era.

None are. That's my point. MM is a decent #3 on a team that passes the ball well. All good teams need a solid #3 and Manningham could be that for the 49ers but history tells us we will be disappointed if we expect more of him than that.

No #2 or #3 WR causes a defense to lose any sleep. That's why they're a #2 or #3.

Not every player can be in the Pro Bowl. Players like Kyle Williams and Mario Manningham are incredibly valuable to a roster like ours.
Originally posted by okdkid:

No #2 or #3 WR causes a defense to lose any sleep. That's why they're a #2 or #3.

Not every player can be in the Pro Bowl. Players like Kyle Williams and Mario Manningham are incredibly valuable to a roster like ours.

I'm not knocking either of those two guys. I am only responding to those who see them as anything more than decent #3s behind two strong guys above them. In this case, the 49ers need a big strong guy with above average speed to draw at least some of the fire away from Crabtree. Williams and Manningham can easily be defended by a single defensive back. So while a good team needs that level of player, they are only effective if there are two strong players above them.
I'm not knocking either of those two guys. I am only responding to those who see them as anything more than decent #3s behind two strong guys above them. In this case, the 49ers need a big strong guy with above average speed to draw at least some of the fire away from Crabtree. Williams and Manningham can easily be defended by a single defensive back. So while a good team needs that level of player, they are only effective if there are two strong players above them.

I agree with this. Manningham is and always has been a #3, nothing wrong with that, but he's not the sort of playmaker that defenses will fret about. Houston has had the issues of constantly finding #3 and #4 WR's and putting them opposite Andre Johnson with little success. This team ultimately needs another top WR that can pick up the slack when team's are focusing on Crabtree and Davis.

If you've got 2 very good WR's, a guy like Manningham is a nice complement, but if all you've got besides Crabtree is him, Williams, Jenkins and Vince Papale, that's a pretty sorry WR receiving corps.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM ]

Are you sure about that? Explain Jordy Nelson, Julio Jones and Victor Cruz then.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Are you sure about that? Explain Jordy Nelson, Julio Jones and Victor Cruz then.

Yeah. The Packers are de-valuing Jennings because they know Nelson is their go to guy. Cruz is the top WR option in NY both in receptions and yards. And there is no #2 between Jones and Roddy White, both are targeted equally.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Not sure how you define #2 receiver, but there are clearly teams that more than one receiver who might cause a team to lose sleep.

Off the top of my head, here are a few:

Atlanta White and Jones
Denver Thomas and Decker
NO Colson and Moore
Baltimore Boldin and Smith
New England Welker and Lloyd
Indianapolis Wayne and Hilton
Green Bay Cobb, Jones, Nelson
NYG Cruz and Hicks
Philadelphia Jackson and Maclin

The fact is the team needs better wide receivers.
The reality is our wide receivers are the weakest unit on the team.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM ]

One would hope that Vernon Davis would be enough here but for some reason this doesn't seem to be the case... we almost have the ideal situation for 2nd WR to excel but it's amazing that it hasn't happened.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
One would hope that Vernon Davis would be enough here but for some reason this doesn't seem to be the case... we almost have the ideal situation for 2nd WR to excel but it's amazing that it hasn't happened.

I disagree. I think Crabtree has done a fantastic job of excelling the past two seasons. Now if we can get a true #1 in here we'll be in business.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
I disagree. I think Crabtree has done a fantastic job of excelling the past two seasons. Now if we can get a true #1 in here we'll be in business.

How would you go about getting a #1 WR?
How am I supposed to know if the 49ers organization doesn't know? We haven't had on since Owens. I know Crabtree was supposed to be that guy but I never thought he was big or fast enough for that role. He has been playing the position and is the #1 WR on this team but his skillset isn't that of a one. I'm sorry, and I'm not saying he isn't a good receiver. In fact I think he's an above average WR but his game is limited. He can't get deep and he hasn't faced double teams very much if at all compared to other #1 wideouts. Davis gets all the extra attention and its why Crabtree has excelled. If we could get one more big time threat at receiver on this team, I think defenses would have at ton of trouble in the secondary trying to cover all these guys. We need a legitimate deep threat that isn't a TE.
In one of the Rams game we lost he was damn near impossible to stop on the quick slants. Really thought he was coming into his own then. His quickness at the line will give help us in the RZ if he comes back to full strength.
Originally posted by Squidp:
In one of the Rams game we lost he was damn near impossible to stop on the quick slants. Really thought he was coming into his own then. His quickness at the line will give help us in the RZ if he comes back to full strength.

I personally feel we need a big bodied red zone target. Someone to free up not only Crabtree, but VD as well. We have the quickness in Crabtree, Ham and hopefully Jenkins. What we need is someone who can win a jump ball, go up high to get a pass, and relieve pressure off this entire offense down there. Maybe someone who could also help stretch the field.

Why I wish we would have drafted Stephen Hill. Not sure exactly how good he's going to be, but add a little weight to him he fits that mold pretty well.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Mar 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM ]

Hahah, kyle williams and Manningham shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. Mannigham is far more productive than kw ever will be. And greatest of all Manningham is clutch in all the big games. He could have been the difference maker in the super bowl for us.