There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD - PLAYOFFS- 2013 DIVISIONAL ROUND

  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,638
Don't jinx them, billbird.
Go 49ers!
Fangio better step it up. We've been getting beat on deep balls left and right suddenly (either P.I.'s or deep sideline passes for huge gains or TD's). And on top of that our pass rush has really fallen off. Aldon has 19.5 ad Brooks has 6.5 but after these two, nobody else has done squat (J.Smith is 3rd with 3). We still really struggle covering the RB's out of the back field esp. on delayed passes or drag routes. Still playing way off and two-hand touching receivers AFTER they catch the ball. We aren't utilizing the strengths of the 4 best LBers in the game IMHO. Hopefully Fangio can scheme a great game plan in 2 weeks but we can't sit back there and watch teams methodically march down the field esp. in a no-huddle where we struggled the most.

As to the offense, this is 100% on HaRoman and I'm 50-50 every game with these. CK is guaranteed to have at least one mental fart a game, our running game has REALLY dropped off the last quarter of the year and we've got a ton of injuries now. VD is still non-existent save for one concussion-catch-hit a game. Screens? RZ offense is VERY poor. The closer to the EZ we get it's 2 runs and one pass ALWAYS short of the EZ hoping for RAC.

Has ST's made a positive play all year? Blocked kick, return for a TD, forced fumbles, etc.?

Coaching is still up/down. Tons of penalties, not playing to our strengths, getting out-coached, not giving our young QB more than 7 seconds prior to the snap, etc.

Anyhow, tournament ball is over and it's now time for the playoffs. Despite all the concerns we wrapped up the #2 and have a real shot here. Coaching makes all the difference in the playoffs. Let's do this!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Fangio better step it up. We've been getting beat on deep balls left and right suddenly (either P.I.'s or deep sideline passes for huge gains or TD's). And on top of that our pass rush has really fallen off. Aldon has 19.5 ad Brooks has 6.5 but after these two, nobody else has done squat (J.Smith is 3rd with 3). We still really struggle covering the RB's out of the back field esp. on delayed passes or drag routes. Still playing way off and two-hand touching receivers AFTER they catch the ball. We aren't utilizing the strengths of the 4 best LBers in the game IMHO. Hopefully Fangio can scheme a great game plan in 2 weeks but we can't sit back there and watch teams methodically march down the field esp. in a no-huddle where we struggled the most.

As to the offense, this is 100% on HaRoman and I'm 50-50 every game with these. CK is guaranteed to have at least one mental fart a game, our running game has REALLY dropped off the last quarter of the year and we've got a ton of injuries now. VD is still non-existent save for one concussion-catch-hit a game. Screens? RZ offense is VERY poor. The closer to the EZ we get it's 2 runs and one pass ALWAYS short of the EZ hoping for RAC.

Has ST's made a positive play all year? Blocked kick, return for a TD, forced fumbles, etc.?

Coaching is still up/down. Tons of penalties, not playing to our strengths, getting out-coached, not giving our young QB more than 7 seconds prior to the snap, etc.

Anyhow, tournament ball is over and it's now time for the playoffs. Despite all the concerns we wrapped up the #2 and have a real shot here. Coaching makes all the difference in the playoffs. Let's do this!

Valid points. Overall I think this team just needs to heal up. They just came of a brutal stretch of games.

As far as defense goes, there's not much you can do or change after losing a player like Justin. Our D has an identity and I doubt they stray away from that because of 1 player.

Best solution I can think of is for the offense to eat up TOP (like the first half of the Pats game), and keep the D fresh and off the field.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Fangio better step it up. We've been getting beat on deep balls left and right suddenly (either P.I.'s or deep sideline passes for huge gains or TD's). And on top of that our pass rush has really fallen off. Aldon has 19.5 ad Brooks has 6.5 but after these two, nobody else has done squat (J.Smith is 3rd with 3). We still really struggle covering the RB's out of the back field esp. on delayed passes or drag routes. Still playing way off and two-hand touching receivers AFTER they catch the ball. We aren't utilizing the strengths of the 4 best LBers in the game IMHO. Hopefully Fangio can scheme a great game plan in 2 weeks but we can't sit back there and watch teams methodically march down the field esp. in a no-huddle where we struggled the most.

As to the offense, this is 100% on HaRoman and I'm 50-50 every game with these. CK is guaranteed to have at least one mental fart a game, our running game has REALLY dropped off the last quarter of the year and we've got a ton of injuries now. VD is still non-existent save for one concussion-catch-hit a game. Screens? RZ offense is VERY poor. The closer to the EZ we get it's 2 runs and one pass ALWAYS short of the EZ hoping for RAC.

Has ST's made a positive play all year? Blocked kick, return for a TD, forced fumbles, etc.?

Coaching is still up/down. Tons of penalties, not playing to our strengths, getting out-coached, not giving our young QB more than 7 seconds prior to the snap, etc.

Anyhow, tournament ball is over and it's now time for the playoffs. Despite all the concerns we wrapped up the #2 and have a real shot here. Coaching makes all the difference in the playoffs. Let's do this!

Great post. Excellent analysis. You point out some important areas of concern, areas that need to be addressed.

I totally agree with you that alot of the concern falls on the coaches. Its as if the league has caught on to their tendencies--so they need to learn to adapt.

But I'm confident that they will. This appears to be a hard working group of coaches that's not afraid to make changes and doesn't play favorites.

I was much happier with the offensive game plan yesterday. I think we saw the pistol only once or twice. Mostly we ran out of the pro set, the I formation, and LMJ had a really nice run out of that. He's made some progress, and brings alot to the mix.

Bottom line, for me: this is only the second year for this coaching staff, so there's still room for growth and improvement. The best is still ahead. IMHO.

PS: Gonna be fun to watch Seattle vs. Washington. Washington blitzed alot yesterday. It will be interesting to see how Seattle addresses that.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Dec 31, 2012 at 9:08 AM ]
@oldninerdude

Yes, it was almost as if they had made up their minds that they were going to just lean on the pro set for this last game to make sure Kaepernick was comfortable with it. And, he did seem fine. Kaepernick seems to handle the blitz pretty well. The fact that Gore couldn't get going is troubling, but as bad as that team is, the Cardinals problem is not really defense, so it's not like the NIners were trying to run on pushovers. As far as the slow start was concerned, one of those three and outs really shouldn't have happened when Jenkins failed to catch that short pass. He catches that pass and it's off to the races, not just for a first down but a plus 20 yard gain.
We need to get the offense having a faster start. More than a quarter of 3 and outs ain't going to cut it when it's playoff time.
Sooooooo to win the Superbowl we have to find way to win a 3rd game in a row...
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Sooooooo to win the Superbowl we have to find way to win a 3rd game in a row...

To get to the Superbowl, we have to win 3 in a row. To win the superbowl, we need 4 straight wins.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Sooooooo to win the Superbowl we have to find way to win a 3rd game in a row...

Actually, we need to win a 3rd game in a row just to get to the Superbowl. The Niners need to win FOUR games in a row to win the Super Bowl. It could happen, but there are lots of questions. For some reason, Akers has lost his mind. That has to be fixed one way or another. Gore has worn down. He needs to be somehow rejuvenated over the next couple of weeks. They're going to have to figure out how to be effective with a less than 100% Justin Smith or no Justin Smith at all. Jenkins is going to have to catch a ball. Walker needs to play four games without TD passes bouncing off his hands. They need to find more ways to get Davis open enough for Kaepernick to target him more often. The good news is that Kaepernick looks up to the task to me. He looks dangerous. Every time he drops back, there is a potential "chunk" play in the making.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Fangio better step it up. We've been getting beat on deep balls left and right suddenly (either P.I.'s or deep sideline passes for huge gains or TD's). And on top of that our pass rush has really fallen off. Aldon has 19.5 ad Brooks has 6.5 but after these two, nobody else has done squat (J.Smith is 3rd with 3). We still really struggle covering the RB's out of the back field esp. on delayed passes or drag routes. Still playing way off and two-hand touching receivers AFTER they catch the ball. We aren't utilizing the strengths of the 4 best LBers in the game IMHO. Hopefully Fangio can scheme a great game plan in 2 weeks but we can't sit back there and watch teams methodically march down the field esp. in a no-huddle where we struggled the most.

As to the offense, this is 100% on HaRoman and I'm 50-50 every game with these. CK is guaranteed to have at least one mental fart a game, our running game has REALLY dropped off the last quarter of the year and we've got a ton of injuries now. VD is still non-existent save for one concussion-catch-hit a game. Screens? RZ offense is VERY poor. The closer to the EZ we get it's 2 runs and one pass ALWAYS short of the EZ hoping for RAC.

Has ST's made a positive play all year? Blocked kick, return for a TD, forced fumbles, etc.?

Coaching is still up/down. Tons of penalties, not playing to our strengths, getting out-coached, not giving our young QB more than 7 seconds prior to the snap, etc.

Anyhow, tournament ball is over and it's now time for the playoffs. Despite all the concerns we wrapped up the #2 and have a real shot here. Coaching makes all the difference in the playoffs. Let's do this!

Great post. Excellent analysis. You point out some important areas of concern, areas that need to be addressed.

I totally agree with you that alot of the concern falls on the coaches. Its as if the league has caught on to their tendencies--so they need to learn to adapt.

But I'm confident that they will. This appears to be a hard working group of coaches that's not afraid to make changes and doesn't play favorites.

I was much happier with the offensive game plan yesterday. I think we saw the pistol only once or twice. Mostly we ran out of the pro set, the I formation, and LMJ had a really nice run out of that. He's made some progress, and brings alot to the mix.

Bottom line, for me: this is only the second year for this coaching staff, so there's still room for growth and improvement. The best is still ahead. IMHO.

PS: Gonna be fun to watch Seattle vs. Washington. Washington blitzed alot yesterday. It will be interesting to see how Seattle addresses that.

Great point. Defenses have sniffed that out. Thank god we went away from it this game
Originally posted by pdizo916:
No Football nxt week

Wonderful football next week! Four big playoff games without the stress of worrying! I love this upcoming weekend!
Originally posted by GNielsen:
@oldninerdude

Yes, it was almost as if they had made up their minds that they were going to just lean on the pro set for this last game to make sure Kaepernick was comfortable with it. And, he did seem fine. Kaepernick seems to handle the blitz pretty well. The fact that Gore couldn't get going is troubling, but as bad as that team is, the Cardinals problem is not really defense, so it's not like the NIners were trying to run on pushovers. As far as the slow start was concerned, one of those three and outs really shouldn't have happened when Jenkins failed to catch that short pass. He catches that pass and it's off to the races, not just for a first down but a plus 20 yard gain.
Yes, Jenkins did not appear to get his head turned around in time to see that pass coming. He'll learn and adjust to the speed of the NFL game, I'm betting.

And you are correct, Arizona has a very good defense and a solid d-line. They were ready for Gore. LMJ had a nice run out of the pro set which I think is very encouraging. He showed that he dcan fill that vacancy that Hunter left--a change of pace back with some speed who will hit the hole quickly and be gone if he's not tackled right away.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Sooooooo to win the Superbowl we have to find way to win a 3rd game in a row...

To get to the Superbowl, we have to win 3 in a row. To win the superbowl, we need 4 straight wins.


Originally posted by GNielsen:
Actually, we need to win a 3rd game in a row just to get to the Superbowl. The Niners need to win FOUR games in a row to win the Super Bowl. It could happen, but there are lots of questions. For some reason, Akers has lost his mind. That has to be fixed one way or another. Gore has worn down. He needs to be somehow rejuvenated over the next couple of weeks. They're going to have to figure out how to be effective with a less than 100% Justin Smith or no Justin Smith at all. Jenkins is going to have to catch a ball. Walker needs to play four games without TD passes bouncing off his hands. They need to find more ways to get Davis open enough for Kaepernick to target him more often. The good news is that Kaepernick looks up to the task to me. He looks dangerous. Every time he drops back, there is a potential "chunk" play in the making.

Am I missing something... There's only 4 rounds in the playoffs. Wild-card, Divisional, Conference and Superbowl. We got the bye week with the 2nd seed so we skip the 1st round and only have to play 3 games.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Sooooooo to win the Superbowl we have to find way to win a 3rd game in a row...

To get to the Superbowl, we have to win 3 in a row. To win the superbowl, we need 4 straight wins.


Originally posted by GNielsen:
Actually, we need to win a 3rd game in a row just to get to the Superbowl. The Niners need to win FOUR games in a row to win the Super Bowl. It could happen, but there are lots of questions. For some reason, Akers has lost his mind. That has to be fixed one way or another. Gore has worn down. He needs to be somehow rejuvenated over the next couple of weeks. They're going to have to figure out how to be effective with a less than 100% Justin Smith or no Justin Smith at all. Jenkins is going to have to catch a ball. Walker needs to play four games without TD passes bouncing off his hands. They need to find more ways to get Davis open enough for Kaepernick to target him more often. The good news is that Kaepernick looks up to the task to me. He looks dangerous. Every time he drops back, there is a potential "chunk" play in the making.

Am I missing something... There's only 4 rounds in the playoffs. Wild-card, Divisional, Conference and Superbowl. We got the bye week with the 2nd seed so we skip the 1st round and only have to play 3 games.

The Cards game is counted as 1.