LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

LMJ in the slot

Shop Find 49ers gear online
obx49VeteranPosts: 4,027
Love harbaugh to death, but this kid is getting misused.

Totally agree and to add to that the chances of him being properly used are slim to zero.
Originally posted by cciowa:
you are assuming that roman is capable

Sad but true. James is a guy who you use all over the field, he's a high end Ferrari and they're using him like a Buick.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
NFL teams are enamored with these small receiver/running back/return men that put up monster numbers in college but don't pan out in the pros. The problem is opposing players are just as fast and they never make it around tackle. They are brought down easily. Sproles is an exception, he's 5'6", but his thighs are as big as a lineman's. Hunter is small, but he runs powerfully. LMJ will never be a feature back and his return skills seldom get him past the 30 yard line. I can't stand the Seahawks (who on the Zone does) but I admire the type of running backs they have, power all the way.

I can't agree more. To me, James lacks power, explosiveness, football speed and can be easily brought down. Like you, I have always preferred power backs. Like it or not, Seattle has done a stellar job in building their RB corps. All of them rush with power, Lynch of course, likewise Turbin and even the rookie Michael. Seriously, James was one of many bad picks in the disastrous 2012 draft. Some may laugh, I would have picked David Wilson, yes he had a couple of fumbles, but this guy can make big plays.
I've been a believer, but now I've kind of lost it. Reunite him with Chip Kelly for a receiver and a 3rd round pick next year. Kelly needs someone who really knows how to run in his offense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Sad but true. James is a guy who you use all over the field, he's a high end Ferrari and they're using him like a Buick.

Is Harbaugh capable of calling his own plays much like Payton?
James could get some worth in another system, like Detroit maybe. But he's not a fit here.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I've been a believer, but now I've kind of lost it. Reunite him with Chip Kelly for a receiver and a 3rd round pick next year. Kelly needs someone who really knows how to run in his offense.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
that fat ass roman needs to use him like the saints use sproles.
OTC, we are making a huge mistake in not trying him out as a backfield outlet receiver in space. Hey, maybe he has stone hands. Maybe he has great hands. But until Coach takes him for a spin, we won't know. And he isn't cracking the top 3 RBs...so it's here or nowhere. Also, if LMJ were a very dependable out let receiver for Kap, it sure could take some of the load off him when he makes his reads and sees nobody open. But first, Jim Harbaugh has to try him out. He has been wasted to this point in time.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
James could get some worth in another system, like Detroit maybe. But he's not a fit here.

I don't buy that at all. You put James in New England, New Orleans, Green Bay, Atlanta, Seattle....they'll all find ways to use him. It makes absolutely no sense to have 4 running backs that are exactly the same. James is the change of pace guy, he's got tremendous quickness and very good speed, its not that he doesn't fit here, its that the coaching staff seems to lack imagination on how to use him properly. Get him out into space, use him on screens, slants, get him deep downfield to stretch the defense out a bit, just having him run straight up is not a good strategy.

Right. And, I don't even play Madden, so go figure.
Right. And, I don't even play Madden, so go figure.

Right now, best case scenario for James would be a mid to late 4th rounder IMO. 49ers certainly haven't done much to help up his value.
LMJ isnt being misused he wants to be a rb he needs to learn to run in the nfl, so were not using him like the Saints used Bush his whole time there (pretty much a receiver with a rbs number) i would rather him learn to run like a rb then have a useless career getting juggled between teams because he can only catch passes. What i dont get is this Brandon Jacobs style tweeting because hes not getting used more, for christs sake he just returned from an injury and couldnt get 1 yard on three attempts against a team we ran all over. Maybe he does want to be traded though and thinks he can run for another team. Meh not gunna cry if he stays or leaves.
I want to know where all this using lmj as a receiver comes from less then 10% of all of his yards in college were receiving the ball right around Gores and Hunters.

This. Why are we drafting guys that don't fit what we're trying to do? Jenkins and LMJ pop out the most. Then we pick up guys like Brandon Jacobs and Moss, but don't know how to use them either. I'm starting to question what everyone including myself has been saying about our coaches... in that they know how to use the strengths of our players. Look at our old QB, his ability to run a no huddle offense is finally getting tapped into.
Share 49ersWebzone