There are 207 users in the forums

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I'm rooting for Joshua Morgan and some other former 9ers...but that's because I tend to have an over developed sense of loyalty. When Montana went to KC I even rooted for KC...had to hold my nose but it didn't kill me. I have rooted for many non-niners as well--George Blanda, Fran Tarkenton, Bo Jackson, Alan Page...a lot of really great stories in sports. To limit yourself by only rooting for current niners seems sad.

If AS does leave the 49ers next season, he would probably be the best 49er football player and at his prime that has left the team the past 7-8 years since he joined the 49ers.
All you have to do is look at what happen to all the other QBs that were with the 49ers during the AS era that have come and left, where are they now? lol...
[ Edited by Go9er on Dec 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM ]
Originally posted by Go9er:
If AS does leave the 49ers next season, he would probably be the best 49er football player and at his prime that has left the team the past 7-8 years since he joined the 49ers.
All you have to do is look at what happen to all the other QBs that were with the 49ers during the AS era that have come and left, where are they now? lol...
Yep those Journeymen and late round drafted QBs where are they now?
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Minnesota maybe? With AP there, he'd do ok.

That could be a fit. Ponder could be the backup.

I can see Minnesota going after Smith, but he will not be a guaranteed starter. Ponder will have an opportunity to compete for the job.

I don't agree with many here who say spread offense is better for Smith. Yes, his stats improved in a spread offense in the past, but he played from behind most of those games and didn't win. No pass happy team will want Smith.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Idk why Baltimore comes to mind when I think of places Alex could be next year and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Harbaugh has already been talking to John about this as well Flacco has always been inconsistent and TO happy, something Alex has not been the last 2 and a half years or so.

Seems like a great fit too, strong D and strong running game.

I actually agree with this... He can do wonder in that team!

Didn't think about that as a destination, but Smith would be a great fit for that team.

In that system would he really be better then Flacco?

I think he could be. They have the offense and the defense that can support that particular style of play. And who knows, maybe... JUST MAYBE, he'll start airing it out!

(wishful thinking, I know)

Baltimore seems like a good place on paper...but there is something to be said for staying in the NFC...he knows all the DBs...he knows the defenses.
Then again, Brees made the switch from AFC to NFC and did just fine...not that Alex is Brees...
Also forgot to mention that Flacco is do a big pay day, somewhere in the 100 million range from what ive been reading (not worth it) signing Alex would obviously leave more money for the Ravens to sign/resign players to keep that team (defense) intact. This just seems right IMO Ravens bring in a QB that is careful with the ball and very accurate on top of battle tested in the playoffs and I just think this spells an even deadlier Ravens team.
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Also forgot to mention that Flacco is do a big pay day, somewhere in the 100 million range from what ive been reading (not worth it) signing Alex would obviously leave more money for the Ravens to sign/resign players to keep that team (defense) intact. This just seems right IMO Ravens bring in a QB that is careful with the ball and very accurate on top of battle tested in the playoffs and I just think this spells an even deadlier Ravens team.

If Flacco is really due that sort of payday, he may as well pack his bags now. Just not worth that sort of dough or anywhere near it.
Just watched the Locker room speech after the patriots victory, Alex was all smiles and seemed to be pretty happy. I know Alex wants to start, but he looks like he has accepted Harbaughs decision and will continue to be a great teammate.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000113702/article/alex-smith-of-49ers-still-can-win-passer-rating-title

How cool would it be to have Alex, despite being the #2 the remainder of this season, win the QB Rating title and break Brees' NFL record?

Wonder if Harbaugh will give him a shot against AZ once we're up 31-0 at half-time.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Do you guys think the niners will retire his jersey after he is traded or released ?
Originally posted by susweel:
Do you guys think the niners will retire his jersey after he is traded or released ?

HOF
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Just watched the Locker room speech after the patriots victory, Alex was all smiles and seemed to be pretty happy. I know Alex wants to start, but he looks like he has accepted Harbaughs decision and will continue to be a great teammate.

Originally posted by Joecool:
Who cares about Alex. Let's get down to the real people this benching hurt. I feel bad for anyone who bought an Alex Smith jersey at any point this year. Alex or Jim need to pay those people their lost money.

Bah.

He's a model teammate and a fine role model. They should wear his jersey with pride.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Who cares about Alex. Let's get down to the real people this benching hurt. I feel bad for anyone who bought an Alex Smith jersey at any point this year. Alex or Jim need to pay those people their lost money.

Bah.

He's a model teammate and a fine role model. They should wear his jersey with pride.

He's a good dude thats for sure.
The more I think about Baltimore the more it makes sense. Sure teams like KC, PHI, AZ, and maybe OAK make sense but I can't really see him (IF he has the choice) wanting to go to a rebuilding project. Plus that's not where he would flourish. Alex is like 90% of the QBs that have played well. He's solid, good, and gets the job done (not great, spectacular or amazing). A team that's playoff ready with a strong run game and good defense is the best fit. He's shown he can play well in a play action quick passing game that utilizes short and intermediate throws with the (very very) occasional deep ball. Where Alex has the advantage is his smarts.

Baltimore would be perfect. Although I still think he somehow may end up a Jet.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Bah.

He's a good dude thats for sure.
he showed me alot as a leader and team mate when he ran camp alex with no contract. he showed great growth and leadership last year and no matter how it ends for him. niner fans should always think of him fondly for what he did in the saints game. he also put together the search party to help look for that lost person as well. any hate for him is illogical in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dmax:
I want to see alex go to my top 4

SD
KC
ARI
JAX
my money is on arizona. the ravens would be a great fit. he is better than any quarterback they have in kansas city, philly or the jets but i like alex and do not want him going to those places.. i kind of think jesus tebow will be off to jax
Share 49ersWebzone