There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which SAFETY do you prefer long term w/ 49ers: Dashon Goldson or Donte Whitner

Which SAFETY do you prefer long term w/ 49ers: Dashon Goldson or Donte Whitner

Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You sure about that?

<blockquote class="quote"><div>Quote:</div> 8/4/2011: Signed a three-year, $11.75 million contract. The deal contains a $2.5 million signing bonus and $4 million guaranteed. 2013: $3.85 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus), 2014: Free Agent


Personally I've felt for a long time that Goldson should be re-signed, moved to strong safety and that the 49ers should acquire a ballhawking, centerfielder type of free safety to play alongside him.

I remember saying this in another thread and then everyone jumped in my sh*t. These dudes can hit -- nobody disputes that -- but neither is good in coverage.

Boggles the mind that even after watching receivers run wild in our defensive backfield this year, people are still reluctant to accept that.

Agreed. Goldson reminds me of Culliver. Physical, aggressive, big, talented, etc. but lacks between the ears badly. He's a great highlight reel and that is an important intangible not to be taken lightly. That said, Goldson at FS has zero range esp. along the sidelines for over-the-top help. The lack of range was one of the reasons our CB's were left out to dry. If you watch Goldson during the Superbowl, alone, he missed at least 3 critical tackles on 3rd down. He also almost had ANOTHER late hit penalty on Rice (s/h been called IMHO). He doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. He's also nowhere to be found in the middle of the field in EZ help...that may be scheme but it always seems like it's Whitner 1on1 on someone and that someone is always a win for the opposition.

Whitner is the captain of the D and is a very smart player/coach out there. He's very well spoken and a leader on this team. BUT, Goldson has the more upside as a SS (not FS). We genuinely need a FS with speed, range and who can provide coverage in the middle of the field (esp. in the EZ), the sidelines for over-the-top support, and one that is a sure tackler...it would be nice to have S's we don't have to start 25 yards deep on every play and who STILL get beat deep and on double moves. We need a coverage FS badly and I think Goldson is much better suited for the SS spot. But does he have the brains? We would miss Whitner's IQ back there.
Bottom line, they are both SS. We don't have a true FS, and that is one reason why we give up so many deep passes. Goldson is the better all-around player of the two. So I'd rather keep him long term as a SS and draft a true FS to start with him.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I remember saying this in another thread and then everyone jumped in my sh*t. These dudes can hit -- nobody disputes that -- but neither is good in coverage.

Boggles the mind that even after watching receivers run wild in our defensive backfield this year, people are still reluctant to accept that.

Agreed. Goldson reminds me of Culliver. Physical, aggressive, big, talented, etc. but lacks between the ears badly. He's a great highlight reel and that is an important intangible not to be taken lightly. That said, Goldson at FS has zero range esp. along the sidelines for over-the-top help. The lack of range was one of the reasons our CB's were left out to dry. If you watch Goldson during the Superbowl, alone, he missed at least 3 critical tackles on 3rd down. He also almost had ANOTHER late hit penalty on Rice (s/h been called IMHO). He doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. He's also nowhere to be found in the middle of the field in EZ help...that may be scheme but it always seems like it's Whitner 1on1 on someone and that someone is always a win for the opposition.

Whitner is the captain of the D and is a very smart player/coach out there. He's very well spoken and a leader on this team. BUT, Goldson has the more upside as a SS (not FS). We genuinely need a FS with speed, range and who can provide coverage in the middle of the field (esp. in the EZ), the sidelines for over-the-top support, and one that is a sure tackler...it would be nice to have S's we don't have to start 25 yards deep on every play and who STILL get beat deep and on double moves. We need a coverage FS badly and I think Goldson is much better suited for the SS spot. But does he have the brains? We would miss Whitner's IQ back there.

We should move Culliver to FS and draft a CB in the 1st. This years draft is deep with CBs, we could get a very good one at the end of the 1st. Culliver would be great at FS. He has the size, speed, and coverage ability.
Originally posted by blm7754:
We should move Culliver to FS and draft a CB in the 1st. This years draft is deep with CBs, we could get a very good one at the end of the 1st. Culliver would be great at FS. He has the size, speed, and coverage ability.

I keep hearing this. But does he have the IQ for this spot? At least as a CB, if we get a FS, he can get some help over-the-top (unlike the Superbowl). At FS, if he bites on a double move or is caught flat-footed or reads the offense incorrectly (plausible), it's 7. Another thing our S's blow at is getting jams at the LOS esp. in the RZ. It's free and clean for the offense every time. So that said, I can see THAT as being a strong-suit argument for Culliver at FS in the RZ/EZ. It's an intriguing thought. Either way, I don't see Whitner back and saving on that contract (for Goldson likely) and a pure FS in the draft. And don't forget about Trenton Robinson as well. He was groomed all off season.

He ran a 4.45 at the combine.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 12, 2013 at 10:00 AM ]
For me I want to re-sign Goldson and cut Whitner, thats right I said cut Whitner. I see no point in him being on this team, non. He is horrible in coverage. All he does is hit and tackle. That is it. Hitting and Tackling. The problem with that is ALL Average safetys can do what he does. The good ones take it a step further and can cover also.

I'd like to see Goldson resigned to play either FS or SS. His position depends on the other Safety we bring in. I'd rather have a rookie playing SS THIS YEAR, then Whitner back there. I bet a guy like Rambo could be as effective this year as Donte is, plus he can cover better.

Think about it. Why let Donte play out his deal, when we know for sure he needs to be upgraded. Replace him now.
i honestly wanna keep them both, i don't know why people want to get rid of them, they bring so much physicality to our defense and dam good players.
Originally posted by btwagner:
I would like to see them resign goldson and cut whitner. In this age of football where the passing game rules you need 2 safeties with range. Whitner is more of a in the box safety and does not cover well at all. Cut him resign Goldson move him to SS and draft a natural FS


I agree 100%
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
i honestly wanna keep them both, i don't know why people want to get rid of them, they bring so much physicality to our defense and dam good players.


These days, it's not about who you want to keep, it's about who you want to pay. There are other positions on the team besides safety that are also important.
Why is this even a thread?
Resign Goldson and move to SS, move Carlos to FS, let Witner walk, hes good just doesn't fit the type of coverage we want to run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzhnMiB_Dro
Goldson of course.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzhnMiB_Dro

Boff

opps, I mean to edit...my bad...carry on.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Feb 12, 2013 at 1:24 PM ]
neither.
https