LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 393 users in the forums

Which SAFETY do you prefer long term w/ 49ers: Dashon Goldson or Donte Whitner

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which SAFETY do you prefer long term w/ 49ers: Dashon Goldson or Donte Whitner

Both...that is all.
BOTH FTW
We are keeping BOTH! Whitner already is signed longer term. Cut or trade Alex. Franchise Goldson with the money and work toward a long term deal with him like we should have last year.
Thats like asking, "do I perfer my left nut or my right nut"?
I would hope to keep both, however if i had to choose one, it would be goldson.
I am so happy to read threads like this! Which of the great 49ers would we like to keep?!?!

Good stuff!
Can I has both?
Originally posted by pd24:
Sign Goldson to a new contract, let Whitner play out his deal and draft a replacement for him if they don't want to resign him.

I would like to see them resign goldson and cut whitner. In this age of football where the passing game rules you need 2 safeties with range. Whitner is more of a in the box safety and does not cover well at all. Cut him resign Goldson move him to SS and draft a natural FS
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We are keeping BOTH! Whitner already is signed longer term. Cut or trade Alex. Franchise Goldson with the money and work toward a long term deal with him like we should have last year.

You sure about that?

8/4/2011: Signed a three-year, $11.75 million contract. The deal contains a $2.5 million signing bonus and $4 million guaranteed. 2013: $3.85 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus), 2014: Free Agent

Personally I've felt for a long time that Goldson should be re-signed, moved to strong safety and that the 49ers should acquire a ballhawking, centerfielder type of free safety to play alongside him.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Goldson - 28
Whitner - 27

I thought Whitner was the older one...

Whitner has only been in the league longer. Whitner was drafted in 2006 and Goldson was drafted in 2007.

Many are saying they'd like for Goldson to be moved to SS. He's a great hitter, but how does everyone feel about him as an open field tackler, a guy having to go one on one with a running back at times or covering a TE?

Goldson and Whitner have some H-U-E-V-O-S.
Whitner couldn't cover a marble with a bed sheet.
I'd like to see more coverage from them. If the pass rush gets back in form they both stay. If they keep getting torched one will go, the question would be when.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You sure about that?

<blockquote class="quote"><div>Quote:</div> 8/4/2011: Signed a three-year, $11.75 million contract. The deal contains a $2.5 million signing bonus and $4 million guaranteed. 2013: $3.85 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus), 2014: Free Agent

Personally I've felt for a long time that Goldson should be re-signed, moved to strong safety and that the 49ers should acquire a ballhawking, centerfielder type of free safety to play alongside him.
I remember saying this in another thread and then everyone jumped in my sh*t. These dudes can hit -- nobody disputes that -- but neither is good in coverage.

Boggles the mind that even after watching receivers run wild in our defensive backfield this year, people are still reluctant to accept that.
[ Edited by baltien on Feb 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM ]
BOTH of them we have the best safeties in the league, next question...
Share 49ersWebzone