There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Dr Jekyll & Mr. Hyde: The 30 best coached minutes in 49er history....followed by...

the worst coached 25 minutes in 49 history. Coach Harbaugh's first 30 mins of O and D coaching against one of the truly great teams in NFL history, was a coaching job for the ages. On D we smoothered Brady, the WRs, the RBs. On O we put up 4 TDs. Kap, the OL, Crabs, Frank...heck, everyone was great. But the coaching by Harbaugh was non pareil, as in it was the best 30 mins of 9er football coaching of all time....and considering the work of Coach Walsh, that is some statement.

But the incredible mindset that followed, coaching not to lose, was absoloutely abysmal. Had Kap et al not put up 4 TDs in 1st half, we would have lost this game going away. I mentioned in a post last week that we would lose by 28 pts if we laid back, rushed 3 or 4 and played off the WRs. Well, in the first half, Coach H was aggressive as anything I have seen in a long time on both O and D. Brady never got used to #99 whizzing by him, or getting drilled by ALL DONE just prior to throwing. The D played the best man coverage I have seen in yrs. O coaching , D coaching in first half will go down in annals of 49ers as greatest coaching and playing jobs in memory.

Beginning 2nd half, Coach H abruptly went into his COACHING NOT TO LOSE mindset, and ....we darned near lost. We basically ran three and out 4 consecutive series, while Pats scored TDs on each of their posssessions. Not until 5 minutes to go in game, with score tied, did Coach H return to what got us the big lead in the first half....namely, throw caution to the wind, play aggressive football, LMJ gave us the spark and Kap + Crabs gave us the lead...again. The D after that was tight, there was no backing off, we once again covered the receivers like white on rice, and in the end, won.

Moral of story is COACH TO WIN, and don't coach "not to lose". Also, once you have your foot on the neck of an opponent, continue playing what got you there to start with. In this case it was aggressive O and D playcalls, with magnificent effort by virtually every 9er on the field. Once again this game shows what happens to coaches when they get the lead, big or small. I hope Coach H remembers this lesson and in the future, coaches his guys the same aggressive way on O and D, with a lead or not.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
did not understand anything about playcalling in the second half and could not figure out why we stopped attacking on defense
Outside of fan frustration, the beauty of last night's game was a big lesson without losing the "W".
Best coached in 49er history? C'mon man. But I get your point.
Originally posted by highwayone:
Best coached in 49er history? C'mon man. But I get your point.

This...
Can we all remember for a second that we played against BB and Tom Brady in NE, in December where they haven't lost in 10 years? We're talking about possibly the greatest QB and coach of all time (well, 2nd best, if you ask me). The comeback wasn't due to poor coaching, it was due to #12 being absolutely amazing. Lets not forget that.
Good post.

Totally agree on the excellence in the first half.

I hope JH/Fangio learned something when playing high-caliber teams. We can NEVER let them up. We should have won by 3 TD's and a FG [the one Akers missed]

When we went into that soft zone I went into depression. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post.

I hope JH/Fangio learned something when playing high-caliber teams. We can NEVER let them up. We should have won by 3 TD's and a FG [the one Akers missed]

When we went into that soft zone I went into depression. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Or maybe Tom Brady is just that good. Give credit where credit is due.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Good post.

Yea, that wasn't blaine gabbert brining them back.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Good post.

Yea, that wasn't blaine gabbert brining them back.
the coaches should have known that and should have known to keep attacking
Originally posted by cciowa:
did not understand anything about playcalling in the second half and could not figure out why we stopped attacking on defense

Our pass rush got tired, got less and less effective with the fatigue. With no pressure, Brady picked us apart.

Why did our pass rush get tired?

1. Our offense had three straight 3 and outs, and barely let the D even sit down before they had to go back out there and deal with Brady.
2. Brady was no-huddling and not even waiting for them to line up. It's the Chip Kelly offense.

People who are acting like the offense was fine in this game are totally missing the point. The offense never once helped the D. The Niners remain a team which leans heavily on the D to keep the other team at bay, and turn them over as well. The offense got 4 of their 5 TDs on a short field provided by the defense or special teams. Only the first TD drive was an actual sustained full length of field drive.
For the Niners...they have without doubt, the best D in the league right now. But even the best D in the league is going to get worn down by a constant no-huddle like that.

The Niners best defense, in that case, is a better offense.

The offense has to do a better job of helping the defense out.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:

Our pass rush got tired, got less and less effective with the fatigue. With no pressure, Brady picked us apart.

1. Our offense had three straight 3 and outs, and barely let the D even sit down before they had to go back out there and deal with Brady.
2. Brady was no-huddling and not even waiting for them to line up. It's the Chip Kelly offense.

People who are acting like the offense was fine in this game are totally missing the point. The offense never once helped the D. The Niners remain a team which leans heavily on the D to keep the other team at bay, and turn them over as well. The offense got 4 of their 5 TDs on a short field provided by the defense or special teams. Only the first TD drive was an actual sustained full length of field drive.
so do we trace the lack of offense, thus allowing the pats back into the game,, back to roman and bone headed ;playcalling , the players for not executing or the pats defense for stepping it up?
Mix of both...but I blame the risk averse playcalling first. Two quick 3rd quarter turnovers blew the game open, but there was still 9:00 left the 3Q, and way too soon for Roman to go into conservative mode.
Originally posted by kray28:

this