There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Read option and Pistol

i read on a lot of Forum topics that people don't agree with the Pistol offense and read option, saying that it isn't reliable and causes us to play conservative. But in my opinion, if we didn't run this type of offense, we wouldn't have the big pass plays like we had tonight. Defenses are forced to key on our ability to run out of that formation. Look at tonights pass plays, those receivers were wide open 90% of the time. I really like our offense, and as the weeks go on.. our execution will only be perfected. you have to remember, Colin has only started 5 games. Thoughts? Go niners
no TD's were scored out of the pistol
thats what i mean though... if Colin is in shotgun, with a back to the right or left.. defenses don't know if Colin is going to run read option or not.. so they are forced to key on that.. doesn't necessarily have to be Pistol
gimmick. option plays don't work in the long run at this level of football. if they did, we would have seen a lot more of them prior to this year, NFL wide. it's a fad, just like the wildcat. i personally don't think the spread is sustainable long term, either.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
gimmick. option plays don't work in the long run at this level of football. if they did, we would have seen a lot more of them prior to this year, NFL wide. it's a fad, just like the wildcat. i personally don't think the spread is sustainable long term, either.

Well we weren't perfect tonight, i know this type of Offense won't last long.. Look at Cam Newton, but its working now and the talent we have on our team is a lot better than most NFL teams. We beat a solid team tonight in their home, and put up enough points to make a statement. Im stoked
Originally posted by forty9ers:
Originally posted by mkmasn:

Well we weren't perfect tonight, i know this type of Offense won't last long.. Look at Cam Newton, but its working now and the talent we have on our team is a lot better than most NFL teams. We beat a solid team tonight in their home, and put up enough points to make a statement. Im stoked

yea, nice to see winning football in SF again. I just want to keep it that way!