There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

willis lacking passion?

I recall hearing about how Willis would be used more in coverage as well, after reading this thread I decided to check and sure enough Willis is in the top four in the NFL for passes defended by linebakers. He is doing a great job of it and speed does not seem to be an issue.
Yeah the dude that leads our pregame pump up speeches and gives every ounce of himself to this team is lacking in passion... C'mon man....

Willis is asked to play a different role in this D than he did in the past and people just can't seem to understand that. So what if he isn't in on every tackle like he used to be. We are the best freaking D in the league and people are questioning his passion?

Could somebody please clearly point out to me how Willis is anything but a benefit to this D, because I sure as heck can't, and if so please clearly define it in this thread. I'm all ears.
You may have heard some of the same comments early in the season that I did, they explained the scheme changes and how they would likely make Bowman look better and make Willis show up less on the stat page. I recall hearing that Willis was on board with the changes and didn't care about his tackle program. That certainly shows passion.
Someone on that Website is essentially trolling. I clicked on the website to find the article so I guess they were successful.
He doesn't have to do everything like before.
Originally posted by spizzy:
yeah ive noticed that too but i think thats just cause hes tired

Gotta remember that the 49ers Defense rarely substitute, against the Patriots... Willis played 94 snaps according to Matt Maiocco. I dont blame him for being tired.

" Defensive play time Includes plays nullified by penalties 94 (100%) -- LB Patrick Willis "
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Willis lacking passion?

I'll be right there with massage oil and scented candles.

Originally posted by jdt84_2:
this. with all of the great players around him. maybe he is not as worried about making the play, but will set someone else up to make it.

I agree. This defense most of the way, know what each other is thinking. Thats the benefit of playing with each other consistantly, all the reason why I was glad they brought Rogers back. Because of the communication, I think each player on this defense trusts each other. Alot of times Bowman and Willis doesn't need to hit the hole because the DLine dictates which lane the RB will hit anyway so Bowman and Willis just chill till he comes through, that is if the DL don't get him down first anyway. Come playoffs, I think you'll see another level from Willis and this defense.

So this lacking of passion from Willis.....please!!!
[ Edited by Baldie on Dec 19, 2012 at 5:58 AM ]
Willis has never lacked passion. He has always had a reserved personality. As our defense started getting better around him, he just isnt standing out as much as before. I dont get the people who say hes not as good anymore. By comparison, now that our whole D goes to the pro bowl, he just stands out less. It doesnt mean hes any less good.

He already plays a position where stats dont really stand out. Theres nothing wrong with him. For the first time in his career he doesnt have to do EVERYTHING on D like before. Now Justin Smith, Aldon, and Brooks are putting big pressure on the QB, Bowman is helping with the run D, and the DB's are making plays.

Also what you have to remember is, our run D has become so good that teams dont test it very much. Every week the opponent will test the waters a bit in the first half, and be shut down to the point where they start passing alot more. Willis then gets less work, and less chance to look good. Hes a solid cover LB, but lets be honest, hes a little out of his element more often than not in that area.

So a better D around him, and the lack of a opposing running game has cooled off his opportunities to stand out on TV.
his passion only lasts 15 minutes.
some are taking the insiderts words as a crtiticsm of willis---i dont see it that way, he is questioning whether injury has reduced willis aggressiveness.....i dont see it myself, but posted this for discussion sake only
Been saying this the last 2 years, he aint even the best LB on his team. He also the worst pep talk guy in the NFL. ALI HAD FRAZIER, YO ALI HAD FRAZIER
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Been saying this the last 2 years, he aint even the best LB on his team. He also the worst pep talk guy in the NFL. ALI HAD FRAZIER, YO ALI HAD FRAZIER

lol youre like the only 49er fan on the planet that dislikes Patrick Willis.
how is this a thread? lol
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

lol youre like the only 49er fan on the planet that dislikes Patrick Willis.

seriously wtf dude is a HOF bound bad a$$ that is accepted as the best ILB in the NFL.