LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Can someone educate me on why Chris Culliver cant play the slot?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Why is carlos rogers still in the slot? the guy gets burnt all to often Cully has the speed to play on the inside.. educate me please...

Cully on welker
[ Edited by 94605NiNer on Dec 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM ]
Brown and Cully imo are most effective on the outside. They are faster and more athletic than Rogers so they usually cover the WRs that go deep. Cully made incredible plays the last game which could of been explosive touchdowns had Rogers been the one in coverage.

The slot WR on the other hand will get his catches vs Rogers, but then automatically gang tackled by a swarming defense. So it's basically Fangio picking the weaker poison.
[ Edited by verb1der on Dec 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM ]
Somebody educate me on why people can't type a player's name instead of their initials.

Maybe CC should be on WW, while DG and DW play over the top, but make sure CR isn't in man coverage because he sucks at it. TB is pretty good though. Maybe AS and JS will get some pressure on TB.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Brown and Cully imo are most effective on the outside. They are faster and more athletic than Rogers so they usually cover the WRs that go deep. Cully made incredible plays the last game which could of been explosive touchdowns had Rogers been the one in coverage.

The slot WR on the other hand will get his catches vs Rogers, but then automatically gang tackled by a swarming defense. So it's basically Fangio picking the weaker poison.

No. The slot position is the toughest to guard bc you dont have the sideline to help and your are typically matched against the quickest wideout. Rogers is our best cover man and is more fluid in and out of breaks than Culliver or TB and thats why he plays the slot
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Culliver theoretically can play the slot because he is that talented but as its been reported, he is our biggest, most physical CB and can out muscle the bigger WRs and stick with the top players like Calvin Johnson, Jordy Nelson, etc. so taking him away from guarding players like that and to mention the Giants I'd rather have Cully on Randle or Nicks and TB or Rogers on Cruz where as verb1der says then the slot WR gets gang tackled.

Rogers is the most nimble and quick of the 3 CBs and he's played both inside and outside his whole career. problem is he is slowing with age IMHO but typically after half time when he has time to digest and adjust he attempts to play a step ahead of the WR (see Victor Cruz nearly 100 yards in the first half on a ton of targets and completions then in the 2nd half he had like 30-40 yards on multiple targets but minimal catches.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Squidp:

No. The slot position is the toughest to guard bc you dont have the sideline to help and your are typically matched against the quickest wideout. Rogers is our best cover man and is more fluid in and out of breaks than Culliver or TB and thats why he plays the slot

Sorry to be a d**k but did you even read what he wrote because your counter point has almost nothing to do with what he said......

Culliver is our best cover corner, the statistics dont lie, Brown is the 2nd best but he gets called for mad penalties, Rogers is our weakest link as he relies heavily on film study and half time adjustments to be effective(this has been document by the media and Rogers admits its his biggest positive and negative)

If Rogers is really the best cover man like you say he is, then Fangio would place him on an island and take away a huge portion of the field. Culliver is doing just that, if you haven't noticed.
Originally posted by sfout:
Culliver theoretically can play the slot because he is that talented but as its been reported, he is our biggest, most physical CB and can out muscle the bigger WRs and stick with the top players like Calvin Johnson, Jordy Nelson, etc. so taking him away from guarding players like that and to mention the Giants I'd rather have Cully on Randle or Nicks and TB or Rogers on Cruz where as verb1der says then the slot WR gets gang tackled.

Rogers is the most nimble and quick of the 3 CBs and he's played both inside and outside his whole career. problem is he is slowing with age IMHO but typically after half time when he has time to digest and adjust he attempts to play a step ahead of the WR (see Victor Cruz nearly 100 yards in the first half on a ton of targets and completions then in the 2nd half he had like 30-40 yards on multiple targets but minimal catches.

this. its why Seattles bigger corners have problems against Amedola types. you need someone with fluid hips , change of direction with quick feet. Cully is a beast but he can get flat footed when guys make cuts
It has been said that playing the slot is for the more mature, smart, toughest defensive back since its nickel defense and the nickel backer has to be good in coverage and in run support as well due to be replacing one of the linebackers... I think he has been doing it since last year.

If Rogers is really the best cover man like you say he is, then Fangio would place him on an island and take away a huge portion of the field. Culliver is doing just that, if you haven't noticed.

no i dunno if Rogers is our best cover man ( i think thats Cully) but Cully cant gaurd against the slot as well as Rogers. CR gets beat but he holds his own quite a bit too. our best man for the job

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Originally posted by sfout:

this. its why Seattles bigger corners have problems against Amedola types. you need someone with fluid hips , change of direction with quick feet. Cully is a beast but he can get flat footed when guys make cuts

Yep. Thats why I really hope he works with a great trainer this offseason to get his footwork on point. I think Cully could seriously be left on an island if he gets his hip swivels and footwork on point.

The corner covering the slot also gets allot more help from the safeties by going with underneath coverage. This give Rogers more wiggle room with mistakes, staying stride for stride isn't as important as getting in between the QB and the receiver.
We should be looking for a nickel CB with one of our first 4 picks this draft, to compete with Cox and Rogers.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sspiker:
We should be looking for a nickel CB with one of our first 4 picks this draft, to compete with Cox and Rogers.

I'd like that too but I think Cox will win that competition unless we get another tremendous player like Cully.
Originally posted by 5280High:

The corner covering the slot also gets allot more help from the safeties by going with underneath coverage. This give Rogers more wiggle room with mistakes, staying stride for stride isn't as important as getting in between the QB and the receiver.

Indeed! And truth is, no team can ever stop these small shifty WRs, they're built to move chains, but they rarely explode (with the exception of Cruz). However teams can contain them with disciplined, sound tackling.

Another thing I wanted to point out, if you guys haven't noticed Whitner has been playing lights out in run support lately, in recent years it's been Dashon. I think Culliver has deserves a lot of credit for this, because he doesn't need much support when matched up one on one, so Whitner can play closer to the line of scrimmage and react to the run faster. I'm really proud of Cully, he's turning into a beast!
[ Edited by verb1der on Dec 11, 2012 at 5:47 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone