LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 218 users in the forums

QB "tells" - other observations.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Some players were commenting that the Rams knew the plays that were being called and had the perfect defenses. I'm wondering if this is a case were the offense is tipping their cap by doing things that the Rams caught on Defense. They did make an incredible adjustment after the first quarter to shut down the run defense, and I do think Hunter not being in there caused Gore to be worn out by the 2nd half, but I'm wondering if anyone caught anything from rewatching the game?

I heard a caller on the radio say that every time Kaep throws the ball, prior to receiving the ball his licks his fingers.

I know timing wise, we seem to always get the ball off right at 1 or less seconds on the playclock, it would be great to start earlier at times to keep the pass rush off on their timing.
The Rams knew what we were doing because our play calling was obvious. Until the bonehead Ginn pitch playcall.

We were playing checkers while the Rams were playing chess.
They adjusted in the 2nd quarter and we didn't counter their moves. Just like chess - you have to plan 3-5 moves in avance.

We reverted to the Singletary Offense. Gore up the Middle - Punt!
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by mitpdub:

I heard a caller on the radio say that every time Kaep throws the ball, prior to receiving the ball his licks his fingers.

can any posters with video of the past few games please confirm this? thanks. it'll be interesting to see if this is true.
Originally posted by cwilson830:
The Rams knew what we were doing because our play calling was obvious. Until the bonehead Ginn pitch playcall.

We were playing checkers while the Rams were playing chess.

For so many players to comment, there had to be something going on. The JH coaching staff seems to lag in the self scouting department, and in the adjustment department when a defense shows up with a good counter. Giants - Rams - etc.

At least it is not the Singletary era! Remember the Chicago game under Singletary when after the game a Chicago receiver commented something like, "It seemed like every play we called when we lined up the seemed to be in the worst possible defense for the play we called" THAT was depressing and comical at the same time. LOL
  • ace52
  • Veteran
I've seen many QBs do this prior to a throw, though (AS also does it), so I don't think it's a Kap thing.
It's a good question...I wonder if anyone here will rewatch the game in this detail to see if they can pick up on anything. I was genuinely impressed with how the Rams covered VD and Walker (3 times) on the same play that worked ALL of last year. That is some detailed coaching right there. I'm talking about the play where VD blocks, goes to the ground and runs wide open to the other side of the field for the pass back. I don't have the technical name for that play.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NCommand:
It's a good question...I wonder if anyone here will rewatch the game in this detail to see if they can pick up on anything. I was genuinely impressed with how the Rams covered VD and Walker (3 times) on the same play that worked ALL of last year. That is some detailed coaching right there. I'm talking about the play where VD blocks, goes to the ground and runs wide open to the other side of the field for the pass back. I don't have the technical name for that play.

Fisher is a good defensive coach and he ate Roman's lunch that day.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by susweel:

I know many disagree, but I feel game plan was legit. We had a 10 point lead and should have won. Lack of execution on plays called is what killed us. Kaep. misses the pitch, runs for a safety, Walker misses a catch, Oline doesn't jump, F.g's instead of T.ds, and if Akers executes a FG we would have won. To me it comes down to poor execution.

Sure plays shouldn't have been called, but if we executed anyone of these above plays, we win. We were in position to win, the game plan was boring but we had the game in our hands. It was costly mistakes by the players that cost us this game. Coaching didn't help, but again execute the plays called, we win.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

I know many disagree, but I feel game plan was legit. We had a 10 point lead and should have won. Lack of execution on plays called is what killed us. Kaep. misses the pitch, runs for a safety, Walker misses a catch, Oline doesn't jump, F.g's instead of T.ds, and if Akers executes a FG we would have won. To me it comes down to poor execution.

Sure plays shouldn't have been called, but if we executed anyone of these above plays, we win. We were in position to win, the game plan was boring but we had the game in our hands. It was costly mistakes by the players that cost us this game. Coaching didn't help, but again execute the plays called, we win.

Im sorry I have to disagree anytime you only score 13 points and only average 2 yards per carry by your RBs the game plan is not legit.
The real question is....why are we losing yo crappy teams this year???? Good thing we are beating the good ones hahaha
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Im sorry I have to disagree anytime you only score 13 points and only average 2 yards per carry by your RBs the game plan is not legit.

I was gonna say the same, but correct me if im wrong. Didnt it take the running game a few weeks to get back on track in the beginning of the year, when we still won. My thing is this, how many times, if just going to 13-3, did we say that regardless of playcalling, dropped balls, all that etc. That it's the qB's job to put the team on his back and make things happen. We cant talk about the 1 DW drop, because i say how many other TD passes did we have or almost put up. It's hard to compare a sample size between the two since being under Harbaugh, but what takes a few years of starting to master, you really think CK can master it all in a few more games, to make a true run at the playoffs.

I just think many are being unrealistic. Forget years played, because the current QB is in because coach feels (or may feel) that CK' s uncertainty gives us a better chance ,regardless of how Smith's certainty gives us a good chance as well. Plus with playoff experience and a comback win for the ages.
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Dec 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM ]
It is possible we are tipping off the opposing D somehow. I remember way back in 1988--the 49ers had just lost 6-3 to the raiders, the Niners were down in the dumps with their record of 6-5. Raiders DL Howie Long in the paper afterwards said the Niners O Line always gave away the play ahead of time, the Raiders knew what was coming. After that game the Niners never lost again and won the Super Bowl. I think they fixed the problem!
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
On a play in the 4th quarter where it was a roll right and throw back to Vernon. Before the play started VD was lined up leaning that direction and his feet were pointed in toward the center. Dead give away as to where he intends to go.
Share 49ersWebzone