There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Football Outsiders Breaks Down the 49ers-Rams Game in Detail

Verdict: Extremely questionable coaching

"The second came on a play call that was so bizarrely out-of-place that it appeared Jim Harbaugh was possessed by Tony Sparano...Gimmicky plays like that are a fixture of the San Francisco offense, but why did they spend the entire game playing conservative football, get what appeared to be an insurmountable lead, and then try a high-variance call? A first down there robs the Rams of their remaining timeouts at worst. It was just the wrong call at the wrong time, and the Rams managed to make the two-point conversion from the 7 (after a dubious false start) to tie the game.

...I'm going to single out the conservative Harbaugh approach on San Francisco's drive to a field-goal attempt in overtime...There are enough reasons to hate long field-goal attempts in regulation, but in overtime, it becomes even harder for the calculus to work correctly. Normally if you miss a long field goal, the punishment is that the opposing team gets the ball in good field position. In overtime, you give your opponent good field position ... in sudden death. I'm not arguing that Harbaugh should have gone for it on fourth-and-6, though the numbers could possibly back that up. Just don't seal up the playbook the second your team hits long-field-goal range. Even if the 49ers throw an interception on an intermediate pass after the first down, that would likely be a better field-position result than attempting a 52-yard field goal. And that's before we even get into the fact that David Akers has had a miserable year (and has been hampered by injury)."

http://footballoutsiders.com/any-given-sunday/2012/any-given-sunday-rams-over-49ers
FO: "Here are two plays that likely would have been sacks or throwaways with Smith under center:

11:41 in the first quarter, third-and-6 from the 49ers 29

2:16 in the fourth quarter, first-and-10 from the 49ers 36
[ Edited by nickbradley on Dec 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM ]
Excellent write up.

I have no idea what Harbaugh and the coaching staff were thinking this game.

Really starts to make me question Harbaugh. Does anyone think that Baalke and York kind of take a step back and maybe question Harbaugh a little. So far he has been damn near untouchable but this wasn't just a little mistake. It was rookie rookie rookie rookie mistake.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

"The second came on a play call that was so bizarrely out-of-place that it appeared Jim Harbaugh was possessed by Tony Sparano...Gimmicky plays like that are a fixture of the San Francisco offense, but why did they spend the entire game playing conservative football, get what appeared to be an insurmountable lead, and then try a high-variance call? A first down there robs the Rams of their remaining timeouts at worst. It was just the wrong call at the wrong time, and the Rams managed to make the two-point conversion from the 7 (after a dubious false start) to tie the game.

...I'm going to single out the conservative Harbaugh approach on San Francisco's drive to a field-goal attempt in overtime...There are enough reasons to hate long field-goal attempts in regulation, but in overtime, it becomes even harder for the calculus to work correctly. Normally if you miss a long field goal, the punishment is that the opposing team gets the ball in good field position. In overtime, you give your opponent good field position ... in sudden death. I'm not arguing that Harbaugh should have gone for it on fourth-and-6, though the numbers could possibly back that up. Just don't seal up the playbook the second your team hits long-field-goal range. Even if the 49ers throw an interception on an intermediate pass after the first down, that would likely be a better field-position result than attempting a 52-yard field goal. And that's before we even get into the fact that David Akers has had a miserable year (and has been hampered by injury)."

http://footballoutsiders.com/any-given-sunday/2012/any-given-sunday-rams-over-49ers
I'm sorry to bring this up but just goes to show that Harbaugh can make bad decisions. I'm more worried about him switching offenses in week 12, then a play call that if properly executed by players could have worked. You call that play expecting your guys to execute them. Can't blame the coach for putting trust in the QB in critical times. That's my take.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I'm sorry to bring this up but just goes to show that Harbaugh can make bad decisions. I'm more worried about him switching offenses in week 12, then a play call that if properly executed by players could have worked. You call that play expecting your guys to execute them. Can't blame the coach for putting trust in the QB in critical times. That's my take.

No No No.

In that game situation, that play should never be called under any circumstance. Its so risky that you're almost better off punting on third down!
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Excellent write up.

I have no idea what Harbaugh and the coaching staff were thinking this game.

Really starts to make me question Harbaugh. Does anyone think that Baalke and York kind of take a step back and maybe question Harbaugh a little. So far he has been damn near untouchable but this wasn't just a little mistake. It was rookie rookie rookie rookie mistake.

He's got sooooooooo much equity built up, that one bad game isn't going to make much of a dent in their confidence . . . at least it shouldn't in my opinion

No No No.

In that game situation, that play should never be called under any circumstance. Its so risky that you're almost better off punting on third down!

Hindsight is 20/20. If that play gains 8 yards it would have been just a footnote post game about how creative the call was. To say that "In that situation that play call should never be made" is not true. There are certainly circumstances were that call might have been appropriate. Just not in that situation and executed that poorly.

No No No.

I agree, but that shouldn't be an excuse for poor execution. I'm sure they have practiced that play before. I'm sure they have executed that play before. What if Ginn catches that and takes it to the house? Suddenly it's a great play call. Roman/Harbaugh called that not expecting a turn over. As you said "why the hell would you call a play so dangeerous", but at the same time I think they put the trust into the QB's hands and he didn't execute.

Just feel if play WAS executed it may have been a different take on this play, and we would not have lost this game. And yeah also if play was never called then we wouldn't have lost either. Both sides f'ked up imo.

And I'm only bringing this up because the article. I agree that questionable coaching had a large part to do with it. Maybe even before the game t.b.h. But I disagree that was the only, and biggest factor we lost this game.
Harbaugh didnt call the play.

He just failed to veto it.

If you want to flaw him its being too trusting. Im sure he thiught wtf when roman dialed it up
Originally posted by goodthings19:

No No No.

Hindsight is 20/20. If that play gains 8 yards it would have been just a footnote post game about how creative the call was. To say that "In that situation that play call should never be made" is not true. There are certainly circumstances were that call might have been appropriate. Just not in that situation and executed that poorly.

Horrible call. There is no justification for that call.
Young QB under center, coaches certainly didn't help him. Receivers certainly didn't. (Walker)
Originally posted by goodthings19:

No, its dumb. Its like passing when you're running out the clock.

Couldn't agree more.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Harbaugh didnt call the play.

He just failed to veto it.

If you want to flaw him its being too trusting. Im sure he thiught wtf when roman dialed it up

Thats why i have been saying Harbaugh needs to take a more hands on approach to play calling instead of bickering with officials all game. I love his passion for the game, but its time to take a more hands on approach to his offense. This is not the first game of the Harbaugh/roman era where roman has made a questionable call and Harbaugh failed to veto it.
I agree, but that shouldn't be an excuse for poor execution. I'm sure they have practiced that play before. I'm sure they have executed that play before. What if Ginn catches that and takes it to the house? Suddenly it's a great play call. Roman/Harbaugh called that not expecting a turn over. As you said "why the hell would you call a play so dangeerous", but at the same time I think they put the trust into the QB's hands and he didn't execute.

Just feel if play WAS executed it may have been a different take on this play, and we would not have lost this game. And yeah also if play was never called then we wouldn't have lost either. Both sides f'ked up imo.

And I'm only bringing this up because the article. I agree that questionable coaching had a large part to do with it. Maybe even before the game t.b.h. But I disagree that was the only, and biggest factor we lost this game.

So if Harbaugh called the statue or liberty play or a triple reverse in that situation, you'd blame Kaepernick for poor execution?