LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

The Akers Effect

Shop Find 49ers gear online
it's actually called the jose cortez effect
  • Disp
  • Veteran
You know the sad thing is Akers is making a lower % of field goals this year than Cortez ever did for us in a season. Weird, because it seemed like Cortez was missing every kick. Just hope Akers doesn't cost us an important game in the playoffs, but I cross my fingers every field goal he tries.
[ Edited by Disp on Dec 3, 2012 at 12:52 PM ]
By now, given what we've seen so far, the game plan should be to get to the 20yd line before handing it over to Akers? Anything longer, the chances are that he will miss, plus the other team gets the ball at the 45-50!
Easier said than done, but that's how it's shaping up to be.

Good kickers at this stage of the season are hard to find. Fingers crossed.
Originally posted by GOAT80:
You can't be for real, The safety switched momentum of the game? First off the call was correct and the turning point was the pitch that that Kap ruined, Kap scored 10 of the Rams points for them.

So I guess you know more than Mike Pereira? Your BIAS is showing! Kap is the starting QB, so get over it!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Dec 3, 2012 at 1:10 PM ]
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
A 50 plus yard FG isn't something you want to rely on to win a game, especially when you're away and had the lead the whole game. We lost momentum because of 1 player and the crowd was back in it for the home team. We had great field position after the Rams missed their long attempt in OT, but our offense didn't do much with it and left a lot to be desired with our last possession leading to the missed FG by Akers. Could the offense have helped put him in a better position to succeed? Hell yeah, unfortunately they failed.

I agree with this. You never want to have to put the game into the hands of the kicker. The play calling got conservative and they played for the kick, which was a mistake, one among the many the coaching staff made.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Nate Kaeding. DO IT

That guy misses a ton of FGs too.
Wasn't he 7/7 this year before he got hurt? and i think his career pct is 86, 87%?
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Nate Kaeding. DO IT

Wasn't he 7/7 this year before he got hurt? and i think his career pct is 86, 87%?

Notorious choker.
Originally posted by AZ9er:
A 50 plus yard FG isn't something you want to rely on to win a game, especially when you're away and had the lead the whole game. We lost momentum because of 1 player and the crowd was back in it for the home team. We had great field position after the Rams missed their long attempt in OT, but our offense didn't do much with it and left a lot to be desired with our last possession leading to the missed FG by Akers. Could the offense have helped put him in a better position to succeed? Hell yeah, unfortunately they failed.

I agree with this. You never want to have to put the game into the hands of the kicker. The play calling got conservative and they played for the kick, which was a mistake, one among the many the coaching staff made.
Yeah, you especially don't play for the kick when your kicker has been struggling on top of the fact that it was 50 yards. However he's kicked 50+ yards so many times in his career including this year, part of the loss is on Akers, the other part is blamed on play calling and Walker/Ginn.
Inept Play calling was partly responsible

Delaine "Butterfingers" dropping another pass, this one a game winner, and then he commits a penalty. Pissed me off the most.

Akers supposedly has a pelvic injury. He is really inconsistent from 40 on. JH should STOP using him for a FG at longer distances and go for the first down or punt.

We have the best punter in the league - BTW can e kick FG?
Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Nate Kaeding. DO IT

Notorious choker.

this. even though he's be an improvement right now....... this.

He's killing us this year. Our potential seed in the playoffs. Our playoff hopes. Imagine relying on him for a game winner against a good team in the playoffs...

Yea I guess the O did fail, but the play calling got REAL conservative, so maybe if you AREN'T going to execute, at least call a play that has a chance, cuz you MIGHT get lucky. If you call conservative crap and miss the FG, the blame goes 50% to the coaches. (How far do you expect a QB draw to go? Or Gore up the middle in the last 3 min when the run game was shut down all day? SMH)

You played it safe and got screwed.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by GOAT80:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Too many gambles caught up with them this week (Kaep, Akers and ridiculous play calling).

I agree! I just dont understand how Harbaugh says he tends to go with the hot hand when Kap clearly does not have the hot hand now, and then he says he is sticking with him, Harbaugh needs to man up and just say he wants to go with Kap, his press confrences are deceptive and shady and I am getting sick of it as a fan. How does Smith lose his job and Akers is sucking and has lost us two games and he keeps his?

Once Harbaugh made the decision to start CKWon for the Rams game the decision was made to keep him at starter for the season barring a horrific performance and yesterday was not anything close to that. Kap is our starter, period. He isn't coming out unless hurt or really struggling.

The Refs gave that game to the Rams yesterday with the bad safety. The momentum of the game switched on that play. The rams players got back into it as did their crowd.

As for Akers...who exactly are you going to replace him with? I mean whats the point of bringing in someone else if they are just as likely to miss game winning FG's?

Whats makes you say they are just as likely? How do you know?

The way I see it, is you have a known (Akers hasn't hit SH!T all season) vs. an unknown. Could Kaeding of Cundiff really be ANY WORSE?
I really REALLY hope he doesn't cost us a close game in the playoffs. I can't withstand a Billy Cundiff blown kick that costs us a trip to the superbowl.
Originally posted by BayArea:
I really REALLY hope he doesn't cost us a close game in the playoffs. I can't withstand a Billy Cundiff blown kick that costs us a trip to the superbowl.

We have a lot more to worry about than missing fgs if we want a shot at the SB
[ Edited by SportsFan on Dec 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone