LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

The Akers Effect

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Antix:
I dont trust the guy past the 20 yardline. we're gonna need a kick in the playoffs and he's not gonna do it for us.

The 20. LOL. We need to be at the 10 on in for him to hit. I'm thinking miss from the 20....
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
I don't know how many of you people actually play a physical sport where you depend on your arms (golfers, bowlers, basketball, baseball players, etc) or legs (football players, soccer players, kickers, martial artists) and in general your body to be in good condition to play the best game that you can.

When things aren't right physically, you know that you can't possibly play your best game NO MATTER how hard you try.

A pelvic injury is nothing to scoff at and I'm willing to bet that it's affecting the distance that he can kick and his follow through.

What the 49er's need to do is to bring in an INTERIM kicker and let Ackers heal. They may need it in the playoff.

I've long advocated this. An interim kicker. Nate Keading for 2 weeks. Plus the hopefully 2 bye weeks we get. That would give Akers 1 month to heal from his pelvis injury. I think he's pretty good when healthy. He hit a 63 yarder early in the year and was awesome all last year. We have some roster spots possible where he could fit.
i think you tell Akers that his job is safe till the end of the year.

That way he can kick without pressure of his job. If he still sucks it up, cut him anyway!
GO GET NATE KAEDING.

Akers has had too many second chances.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
GO GET NATE KAEDING.

No. Kaeding has choked so many times in the Playoffs, it's not even funny.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
GO GET NATE KAEDING.

At one point he was the most accurate kicker in the NFL.

He choked in ONE big playoff game game. One. Against the Jets in 2009 I believe. Missed three in one game. Not like him at all.

Otherwise, he was solid and was the Chargers starting kicker this year until he pulled his groin.

Which is why they sign Kaeding temporarily....let Akers sit and heal up from this pelvic injury and get him ready for the playoffs.

He choked in ONE big playoff game game. One. Against the Jets in 2009 I believe. Missed three in one game. Not like him at all.

Otherwise, he was solid and was the Chargers starting kicker this year until he pulled his groin.

He's 8/15 in the playoffs. He didn't just choke once, he's more than a few big misses. In the regular season he hits like 90% of his attempts...postseason...

Otherwise he's probably the best free agent kicker out there, still fairly young and incredibly accurate, at least during the regular season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 18, 2012 at 4:45 PM ]
There's nobody better out there. I wish there was but there isn't
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He's 8/15 in the playoffs. He didn't just choke once, he's more than a few big misses. In the regular season he hits like 90% of his attempts...postseason...

Otherwise he's probably the best free agent kicker out there, still fairly young and incredibly accurate, at least during the regular season.

He cost his team one playoff game. Just one. 3 in one game.

GO GET NATE KAEDING.

Agreed. He blew a ton of clutch kicks for the Chargers.
I say they just do away with FG's..and punt returns for that matter.

You mean all the other missed field goals had no effect whatsoever?

In 2005, he missed a game-winning field goal against the Jets in the Wild Card round, Chargers ended up losing.

In 2006 he missed a game-tying field goal against the Patriots in the Divisional round, Chargers lost.

In 2009 he missed 3 field goals against the Jets in the Divisional round and the Chargers ended up losing.

I don't even get what you're arguing, his regular season accuracy is 88%, his postseason accuracy is 53%..........

Clearly he's not the same kicker in the playoffs as he is in the regular season.
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Available Kickers

David Buehler UFA (Cut) Dallas Cowboys
Brandon Coutu UFA (Cut) Jacksonville Jaguars
Billy Cundiff UFA (Cut) Washington Redskins
Derek Dimke UFA (Cut) Detroit Lions
Erik Folk UFA (Cut) Atlanta Falcons
Danny Hrapmann UFA (Cut) Pittsburgh Steelers
Nate Kaeding UFA (Cut) San Diego Chargers
John Kasay UFA (Cut) New Orleans Saints
Chris Koepplin UFA (Cut) New England Patriots
Joe Nedney UFA San Francisco 49ers
Nick Novak UFA (Cut) San Diego Chargers
Ryan Quigley UFA (Cut) Chicago Bears
Neil Rackers UFA (Cut) Washington Redskins
[ Edited by VDSF on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You mean all the other missed field goals had no effect whatsoever?

In 2005, he missed a game-winning field goal against the Jets in the Wild Card round, Chargers ended up losing.

In 2006 he missed a game-tying field goal against the Patriots in the Divisional round, Chargers lost.

In 2009 he missed 3 field goals against the Jets in the Divisional round and the Chargers ended up losing.

I don't even get what you're arguing, his regular season accuracy is 88%, his postseason accuracy is 53%..........

Clearly he's not the same kicker in the playoffs as he is in the regular season.

Meh.
Share 49ersWebzone