There are 283 users in the forums

Week 13: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Should've never come to Walker not making a catch on that drive. Ball should've been run 3 times,using the Rams last 2 timeouts and then running 40 more seconds off the clock after a 3rd down run. Akers makes a field goal and the Rams have about a minute left to get in field goal range with no timeouts. Coaching plain and simple lost this game today. I'm a big Harbaugh fan but today they dropped the ball. This coaching blunder may very well cost us the division and the 2nd seed.

I don't have an issue with going for the win on that pass to Walker, but Kaep did make a mistake in running out of bounds to stop the clock. That Personal Foul on Goldson was some BS too.

Not too concerned about the division or the #2 seed. They still have the lead in both and Seattle is about to lose it's biggest strength in it's 2 corners.

walker drop, Kap stopping clock,akers and the black cat that crossed our path on that game. we learn from mistakes . WE WONT LOSS AGAIN ALL YEAR !
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Jenkins-0 snaps, cant surpass Ginn
James-0 snaps, cant surpass Dixon
Looney-cant surpass L Davis
Fleming-torn ACL probably will get cut next year
Robinson-very few snaps, ST only
Slowey-Cut
Johnson-Practice Squad

That looks like complete dog s**t.
Jenkins has no ST value.
Same goes for James. they tried him as a punt returner yet he was not able to do it.
I have no problem with Looney not beeing able to surpass L Davis. L Davis was siged as competition for Boone,

Let´s wait and see what happens. In a few year´s time.
how many WR's on our team play ST....2 and normally 1st rounders dont play ST, there ability at their main position should be enough for them to start

If Bowman can play on special teams, 1st rounders should be able to also.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by HornedToad10:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
What was the reason that we made Kaep the starter? IF it wasn't that he gives us a better chance to win now, it was a mistake.

I don't think he did that this game.

He DOES give them a better chance....but that doesn't mean they are going to win every game. Alex would have been crushed under that rush. He wouldn't have converted half the third downs that Kaep did. I like Alex, but Kaep gives the 49ers a better chance to win. He's going to make mistakes, but he's also going to make big plays to make up for them.

You have to be realistic. THIS game, Alex would have given a better chance. Kaep was a net 3 points since he gave up 10 points to the Rams. This is a game where the 1st year starter made mistakes to cost the game. Hopefully next week he'll be better and make plays to win games we wouldn't win with Alex. Kaep is classic higher highs and lower lows style of quarterback right now....

I call BS on that one.

First off, that wasn't a safety BAD call. Kaep did the right thing.

LOL! Running into your own end zone when the play started at the 17 is doing the "right thing"?

LOL that guy is delusional. Kaep running in the endzone was clearly the WRONG thing.

Alex wins that game easily. He also doesn't seem to understand that Alex is like a second OC on the field. He picks which play to run and calls the protections, the rush would have been different and play calling different if Alex were in the game.

All people seem to care about is that Colin is not Alex Smith. I'm a big fan of Colin and want him to succeed, I just don't see it. It wasn't just the couple plays people keep bringing up either. The delay of game/time outs are rough. Fleeing the pocket when not needed, or not stepping up into the pocket when necessary. That comes with experience and I can't fathom how anyone thinks the stretch run of a team poised to win a super bowl is the time to give a guy such experience. We already have a guy that used to do those things but doesn't anymore. Why go back to that during the prime year of a chamipionship window? As we know they can close at a moment's notice!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
What was the reason that we made Kaep the starter? IF it wasn't that he gives us a better chance to win now, it was a mistake.

He DOES give them a better chance....but that doesn't mean they are going to win every game. Alex would have been crushed under that rush. He wouldn't have converted half the third downs that Kaep did. I like Alex, but Kaep gives the 49ers a better chance to win. He's going to make mistakes, but he's also going to make big plays to make up for them.

You have to be realistic. THIS game, Alex would have given a better chance. Kaep was a net 3 points since he gave up 10 points to the Rams. This is a game where the 1st year starter made mistakes to cost the game. Hopefully next week he'll be better and make plays to win games we wouldn't win with Alex. Kaep is classic higher highs and lower lows style of quarterback right now....

I call BS on that one.

LOL! Running into your own end zone when the play started at the 17 is doing the "right thing"?

LOL that guy is delusional. Kaep running in the endzone was clearly the WRONG thing.

Alex wins that game easily. He also doesn't seem to understand that Alex is like a second OC on the field. He picks which play to run and calls the protections, the rush would have been different and play calling different if Alex were in the game.

pure speculation
[ Edited by susweel on Dec 4, 2012 at 2:37 PM ]
Does any1 see a possibility of Alex getting another concussion if he played in this game?

There were tons of pressure up the middle!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pigskin:
Does any1 see a possibility of Alex getting another concussion if he played in this game?

.....sigh.....That pressure was created because they were game planing against Kaepernick and his mobility. Counting on the fact that pressure would cause a rookie mistake or two, which it did. Had Alex been there it would have been a different game plan completely(ie) force Alex to beat them deep as opposed to forcing CK to attempt to play savvy game manager-like football with quick underneath throws.

Alex would have excelled against the rams had the game plan been the same because he is one of the best in the league against the blitz and is still clearly leaps and bounds ahead of Kaepernick in terms of play checking at the LOS.

Now those low snaps to CK from Goodwin dont help when he has to try and read the defense while picking up a ball from the ground, so mistakes will happen when you have to deal with botched snaps.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
I have said this since week 3......after the rookie class had been with the team for over 2 months. Right now the vast majority of this draft looks like failure.

Maybe a bit too early to say failure, but I do think it was a "concern" when #1 and #2 picks aren't even active for games, and "red flag" when they can't sniff the field after injuries to players at their positions.

Jenkins-0 snaps, cant surpass Ginn
James-0 snaps, cant surpass Dixon
Looney-cant surpass L Davis
Fleming-torn ACL probably will get cut next year
Robinson-very few snaps, ST only
Slowey-Cut
Johnson-Practice Squad

That looks like complete dog s**t.

Sigh...

Jenkins - Ginn and possibly Moss gone next year. MUCH more playing time.
James - Jacobs most likely not back. Much more playing time.
Looney - Was injured when he was drafted and couldn't practice till late in camp. Davis most likely not back next year. Much more playing time.
Fleming - Drafted as another big body on special teams who might contribute. How can we say anything till we see him play?
Robinson - ST player. Low draft pick....ya know who else fits that description? Dashon Goldson.
Slowey - SMALL college experiment...didn't work out.
Johnson - 7th round pick on DEEP team. Was a project to start.

When you are good, you don't draft with just this year in mind. The 49ers signed Moss and Manningham with an eye for them to play. They drafted Jenkins to learn and play later. The Niners know the wheels are eventually going to wear out on Frank. They have now taken RBs to eventually replace Frank in back to back drafts (Hunter and James). Neither of them will likely ever be the Bell Cow that Gore is, but that's OK...they will share the load and stay fresh. When Harbaugh didn't have Gerhart, he did the same thing...platoon RBs.

Peeps who are all over this draft class as Garbage might do well to remember that Baalke just might have a clue....

In his 2 previous draft classes...

Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Navorro Bowman, Kyle WIlliams, Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Chris Culliver, Kendall Hunter, and Bruce Miller. There are at least 5 guys in there with legitamate shats at the Pro Bowl THIS year. (Davis, Iupati, Bowman, Smith, Miller). There are more with potential for more down the line. These guys all played because their position were WEAK bwefore they were drafted.

You guys really need to start looking BEYOND THIS YEAR.
Originally posted by kush:
JohnDoe49er, last season:

What a s**tty draft class!

Aldon can't start over
Kap looks like a bust, he'll never play
Cully is a project who couldn't beat out Tarell
Hunter's too small to make an impact
Kilgore is a wasted pick, dude hasnt even sniffed the field
I like RoJo, he'll be a stud
Bruce Miller should be an OLB, stop being cute Harbaalke!

LOL....big laugh on that one...lol.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by kush:
JohnDoe49er, last season:

What a s**tty draft class!

Aldon can't start over
Kap looks like a bust, he'll never play
Cully is a project who couldn't beat out Tarell
Hunter's too small to make an impact
Kilgore is a wasted pick, dude hasnt even sniffed the field
I like RoJo, he'll be a stud
Bruce Miller should be an OLB, stop being cute Harbaalke!

LOL....big laugh on that one...lol.

lmao, He couldn't have been more wrong if he tried. lol

I call BS on that one.

He threw it away. Refs screwed up call. Argue all you want about running into endzone, but the guy was trying to escape the rush to throw the ball away. he was outside pocket and crossed the LOS. He did the right thing. Not his fault refs don't know the rules.

I call BS on that one.

Alex would have been sacked 10 times in that game.

Do you realize that Alex was down in the first game against the Rams? Keap is the one that brought us back in that game too, or we would have 2 losses against the rams instead of a tie and a loss.

I call BS on that one.

Speaking as "that guy", I call BS on that one too. I am delusional tho and clearly have no understanding of Alex Smith. I don't understand that Alex makes calls at the line and can get them in the correct protection. I just don't get it.

I should just stop posting because you have schooled me so bad I can never recover.

Now that we have THAT out of the way....

Kaep ran into the endzone because he was trying to get out of the tackle box to throw the ball away. He succeeded. The refs screwed up. Why are people so determined to blame him for a mistake by the ref? I don't get it.
Speaking as "that guy", I call BS on that one too. I am delusional tho and clearly have no understanding of Alex Smith. I don't understand that Alex makes calls at the line and can get them in the correct protection. I just don't get it.

I should just stop posting because you have schooled me so bad I can never recover.

Kaep ran into the endzone because he was trying to get out of the tackle box to throw the ball away. He succeeded. The refs screwed up. Why are people so determined to blame him for a mistake by the ref? I don't get it.

Marvin, I agree with you on the technicality, but perhaps Kaep could have done a better job or maybe taken a sack in that situation?

In a league where judgment calls are routinely screwed up, you never want to let the refs take charge. Any penalty in the end zone is an automatic safety.

I gotta rewatch it, but I can't recall the last time I've seen a QB get a grounding call that looked remotely like that....maybe Brees last week against us, but then again he was nowhere near the end zone.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by pigskin:

.....sigh.....That pressure was created because they were game planing against Kaepernick and his mobility. Counting on the fact that pressure would cause a rookie mistake or two, which it did. Had Alex been there it would have been a different game plan completely(ie) force Alex to beat them deep as opposed to forcing CK to attempt to play savvy game manager-like football with quick underneath throws.

Alex would have excelled against the rams had the game plan been the same because he is one of the best in the league against the blitz and is still clearly leaps and bounds ahead of Kaepernick in terms of play checking at the LOS.

Now those low snaps to CK from Goodwin dont help when he has to try and read the defense while picking up a ball from the ground, so mistakes will happen when you have to deal with botched snaps.

Alex's possible performance aside...

Do you think the Rams would put less pressure knowing that Alex just had a concussion?
Or do you think Alex would audible the pressure away?
[ Edited by pigskin on Dec 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Marvin, I agree with you on the technicality, but perhaps Kaep could have done a better job or maybe taken a sack in that situation?

In a league where judgment calls are routinely screwed up, you never want to let the refs take charge. Any penalty in the end zone is an automatic safety.

I gotta rewatch it, but I can't recall the last time I've seen a QB get a grounding call that looked remotely like that....maybe Brees last week against us, but then again he was nowhere near the end zone.

If he takes the sack it's a HUGE loss. If he throws it away legally (which he did), it's just an incomplete pass. Why take a huge, drive killing loss if you can just throw it away and try again?

You can't play the game thinking "I had better not do that because the refs could screw us". The refs can screw you on ANY play. The rules are written to allow a player to throw it away if he gets out of the pocket and gets it past the line. He retreated into the endzone to do exactly that...and he succeeded.

If the refs call that play correctly, NOBODY is complaining about it. NOBODY.

You can't blame Kaep for an error by the ref.
Share 49ersWebzone