There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So, are people still worried about Greg Roman leaving?

  • Antix
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,225
Yeah...Roman is annoying. When he's on he looks like a genius, but when he's off he looks completely inept. The Colts ran the offense we should be running. Harbagh needs to do something because Roman is not cutting it.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311543/article/greg-roman-interviewing-with-minnesota-vikings


Can someone tell me why Greg Roman is interviewing for these jobs when he should be concentrating on his current job?! I thought there were rules against teams interviewing staff that is still in the playoffs? I know the Titans haven't been able to interview the Seahawsk D coordinator Dan Quinn for some reason.... So why are the vikings being allowed to interview Roman??
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311543/article/greg-roman-interviewing-with-minnesota-vikings


Can someone tell me why Greg Roman is interviewing for these jobs when he should be concentrating on his current job?! I thought there were rules against teams interviewing staff that is still in the playoffs? I know the Titans haven't been able to interview the Seahawsk D coordinator Dan Quinn for some reason.... So why are the vikings being allowed to interview Roman??

because even harbaugh knows he gots to go
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311543/article/greg-roman-interviewing-with-minnesota-vikings


Can someone tell me why Greg Roman is interviewing for these jobs when he should be concentrating on his current job?! I thought there were rules against teams interviewing staff that is still in the playoffs? I know the Titans haven't been able to interview the Seahawsk D coordinator Dan Quinn for some reason.... So why are the vikings being allowed to interview Roman??

Teams give permission is why.
Originally posted by kingairta:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311543/article/greg-roman-interviewing-with-minnesota-vikings


Can someone tell me why Greg Roman is interviewing for these jobs when he should be concentrating on his current job?! I thought there were rules against teams interviewing staff that is still in the playoffs? I know the Titans haven't been able to interview the Seahawsk D coordinator Dan Quinn for some reason.... So why are the vikings being allowed to interview Roman??

Teams give permission is why.

Oh I see. Stupid of us to give permission imo. Should have all our focus on concentration on the current job we have to do.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by kingairta:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311543/article/greg-roman-interviewing-with-minnesota-vikings


Can someone tell me why Greg Roman is interviewing for these jobs when he should be concentrating on his current job?! I thought there were rules against teams interviewing staff that is still in the playoffs? I know the Titans haven't been able to interview the Seahawsk D coordinator Dan Quinn for some reason.... So why are the vikings being allowed to interview Roman??

Teams give permission is why.

Oh I see. Stupid of us to give permission imo. Should have all our focus on concentration on the current job we have to do.

Probably don't want any awkward tension. Imagine if you were denied a better job from your current bosses. We don't need any of that during the playoffs.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,858
Originally posted by Antix:
Yeah...Roman is annoying. When he's on he looks like a genius, but when he's off he looks completely inept. The Colts ran the offense we should be running. Harbagh needs to do something because Roman is not cutting it.

No the Colts tried to run the offense we are running and couldn't because they stupidly traded a 1st round pick to Cleveland for Trent Richardson, who cant run more then 2 yards before being brought down. Oh and also who is still playing the 49ers or the Colts?
Not worried, if he goes he goes.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,073
he has burned to many bridges with me. i will not give him credit for calling one good game the way he should be calling all good games. good bye
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,858
Originally posted by cciowa:
he has burned to many bridges with me. i will not give him credit for calling one good game the way he should be calling all good games. good bye

Well we cant have that! Jim better fire him right now!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,073
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by cciowa:
he has burned to many bridges with me. i will not give him credit for calling one good game the way he should be calling all good games. good bye

Well we cant have that! Jim better fire him right now!
after the season will be fine roman is the reason why we had to scramble just to make the playoffs
Originally posted by 5NorCalSavage2:
David Shaw>>>Roman

Goodness no freakin way!!!! Shaw is too dumb & stubborn.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 570
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by cciowa:
he has burned to many bridges with me. i will not give him credit for calling one good game the way he should be calling all good games. good bye

Well we cant have that! Jim better fire him right now!
after the season will be fine roman is the reason why we had to scramble just to make the playoffs
Roman is not the reason the 49ers had to "scramble just to make the playoffs"...

First, the bar was set pretty high to make the playoffs in the NFC this year. The 49ers won 11 games (and tied on) last year and were the # 2 seed. They won 12 games this year in the best division in the NFL and were the # 5 seed. The Cardinals won 10 games and didn't get in.

Second, the Seahawks went through that stretch where they very easily could have lost to the Texans, Rams and/or Bucs but managed to escape without a loss. If they lose just one of those, the entire playoff scenario is different.

Third, the 49ers 4 losses were all to play off teams in the final 8 (Colts, Seahawks, Saints and Panthers). Of those 8, the Seahawks, Panthers and Saints were all in the top 5 defensively in terms whether you measure it by yards and points. In other words, almost everyone struggled against those teams offensively.

Fourth, despite not having Crabtree for 2/3 of the season and going through the first significant injuries on the OL in 2 years, the 49ers scored over 400 points, which was more than they scored last year. Granted, overall the defense and special teams have been better this year and that certainly helps, but they also had Crabtree fully healthy all of last year. And, it is not like the 49ers are scored 15 points per game last year.

Fifth, Kap's struggles earlier this year are well documented but, guess who went through a similar stretch last year in his second year starting...Cam Newton after his record setting rookie year. Newton ended up turning it around in the 2nd half of last year and rode that into this year. Guess who else has struggled at times in his second year? Yep, Russell Wilson. Hasn't he had a number of low completion percentage, under 200 yards passing games, including Saturday's game against the Saints? And, who else in his second year struggled at times after losing his #1 receiver? Andrew Luck, who is considered the most advanced young QB ever. Given all of that evidence, is it really all that surprising that Kap went through a slump, especially with Crabtree being out.

Here's the other thing...Roman's the OC so if the offense struggles, he gets the heat, I get it. But, I've seen a number of calls for Chryst to be the OC if/when Roman leaves. That view begs a couple of questions though...(1) If you believe Kap's early season struggles were a coaching issue, shouldn't a significant amount of the angst be directed toward Chryst as the QB coach? Should you promote the QB coach to OC where the main gripe against the OC is that the QB underperformed? Moreover, do you want to turn the offense over to Chryst when in his 2 years as an OC, the Chargers scored 276 points both years. Admittedly, the talent level was different and it was over a decade ago, but that's his record.

(2) We know Harbaugh's "QB whisperer" reputation both in terms of spotting QB talent and coaching it. Given that, again, if you believe Kap's struggles were coaching related and you know Harbaugh works closely with the QBs, shouldn't Harbaugh be catching some the the criticism that has been focused on Roman?

Roman is not perfect and if he leaves, I trust Harbaugh to put the right person in place as OC, but he is far from the sole reason the 49ers had to "scramble" to make the playoffs.
Good luck to him.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,073
Originally posted by kem99:
Roman is not the reason the 49ers had to "scramble just to make the playoffs"...

First, the bar was set pretty high to make the playoffs in the NFC this year. The 49ers won 11 games (and tied on) last year and were the # 2 seed. They won 12 games this year in the best division in the NFL and were the # 5 seed. The Cardinals won 10 games and didn't get in.

Second, the Seahawks went through that stretch where they very easily could have lost to the Texans, Rams and/or Bucs but managed to escape without a loss. If they lose just one of those, the entire playoff scenario is different.

Third, the 49ers 4 losses were all to play off teams in the final 8 (Colts, Seahawks, Saints and Panthers). Of those 8, the Seahawks, Panthers and Saints were all in the top 5 defensively in terms whether you measure it by yards and points. In other words, almost everyone struggled against those teams offensively.

Fourth, despite not having Crabtree for 2/3 of the season and going through the first significant injuries on the OL in 2 years, the 49ers scored over 400 points, which was more than they scored last year. Granted, overall the defense and special teams have been better this year and that certainly helps, but they also had Crabtree fully healthy all of last year. And, it is not like the 49ers are scored 15 points per game last year.

Fifth, Kap's struggles earlier this year are well documented but, guess who went through a similar stretch last year in his second year starting...Cam Newton after his record setting rookie year. Newton ended up turning it around in the 2nd half of last year and rode that into this year. Guess who else has struggled at times in his second year? Yep, Russell Wilson. Hasn't he had a number of low completion percentage, under 200 yards passing games, including Saturday's game against the Saints? And, who else in his second year struggled at times after losing his #1 receiver? Andrew Luck, who is considered the most advanced young QB ever. Given all of that evidence, is it really all that surprising that Kap went through a slump, especially with Crabtree being out.

Here's the other thing...Roman's the OC so if the offense struggles, he gets the heat, I get it. But, I've seen a number of calls for Chryst to be the OC if/when Roman leaves. That view begs a couple of questions though...(1) If you believe Kap's early season struggles were a coaching issue, shouldn't a significant amount of the angst be directed toward Chryst as the QB coach? Should you promote the QB coach to OC where the main gripe against the OC is that the QB underperformed? Moreover, do you want to turn the offense over to Chryst when in his 2 years as an OC, the Chargers scored 276 points both years. Admittedly, the talent level was different and it was over a decade ago, but that's his record.

(2) We know Harbaugh's "QB whisperer" reputation both in terms of spotting QB talent and coaching it. Given that, again, if you believe Kap's struggles were coaching related and you know Harbaugh works closely with the QBs, shouldn't Harbaugh be catching some the the criticism that has been focused on Roman?

Roman is not perfect and if he leaves, I trust Harbaugh to put the right person in place as OC, but he is far from the sole reason the 49ers had to "scramble" to make the playoffs.
his dumb play calling vs the colts when he ran away from the run was the reason we lost. his dumb play calling and refusal to let the team try to get a yard on fourth and one from the one is the reason we lost that game which then put us in a hole which the team had to get out of. to their credit, despite roman, they did. one reason is due to the fact gore and ck changed play calls which resulted in touchdowns. in my opinion