LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Bryant Young entering the NFL Hall of Fame

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If Warren Sapp is ever considered, then BY should be too. Their career stats are very similar despite the fact that BY wasn't simply a 1-gap DT who just tried to disrupt plays and get to the QB. He made the entire D Line better. I hope at some point he gets some serious consideration. If you're an All-Decade player that should automatically throw in the conversation.
He never got the pub while he was playing that he deserved.
this makes me one of my favorite 9ers of all time
That's a shame. For whatever reason he never got the respect he deserved. There was a good 4 year stretch in the late 90's where he was the best DT in the league.

89.5 career sacks as an interior lineman is pretty impressive. By comparison, Cortez Kennedy is in the HOF and he had 58 career sacks. It's not all about sack numbers, but they are two of the best DT's from that era and Young compares very favorably to Kennedy statistically.

The last years of his career were with some awful 49er teams. In his 14 seasons with us, only 7 were winning seasons. That might have hurt him.
Originally posted by Hitman49:
Doesn't surprise me...this franchise has 5 SB titles 20 years of dominance and the HOF doesn't reflect that...you have guys like John Randell making it cause he covered his face with black ink...

John Randle was a 7 time Pro Bowler and a 6 time 1st team All-Pro. He is 7th all-time in sacks. Whereas Young was a 4 time Pro Bowler and once 1st team All-Pro.

Randle is an easy HOF. Wish Young would get more discussion that he did, but I don't think he's a Hall of Famer.
He never got the press/TV accolades as did Cortez Kennedy, Sapp.

I don't know if he had a stats that would support him.

IMO, every team had to game plan for him. He was a real beast.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
He never got the pub while he was playing that he deserved.

Because we sucked. True story
Doesn't surprise me...this franchise has 5 SB titles 20 years of dominance and the HOF doesn't reflect that...you have guys like John Randell making it cause he covered his face with black ink...

John Randle was an absolute stud.
Too bad. BY was awesome. I think he is HOF worthy, but it's not surprising for that he didn't make it on the first ballot.
BY used to feast on the weakness of the West in the past. Every year on madden who was on the all madden team at DT? Bryant Mother Muffin Young! from 96-2001. Holding the Red and Gold down. I think he may have given a year to Dana Stubblefield

• fip24
  • Veteran

This is a great point..BY didnt rush the QB like Randell but was just as good of an all around player. BY was a top 5 DT for the better part of a decade. That is HOF worthy

It just shows what the sports writers see when they see a D-lineman. They just see sacks, and nothing else. Forget about actually holding down your assignment, that doesn't matter. Taking on double teams? Who cares?

Bryant Young was easily a better player than Randall and especially Sapp; that guy couldn't hold a gap assignment if his life depended on it. They were allowed to free lance, rack up the sack stats, while the rest of their teammates had to cover up all the holes they created. But hey, taking on a double team isn't going to get you on the cover of Sports Illustrated, sacking Tom Brady will.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Nov 30, 2012 at 7:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Mercuryspeed:
BY used to feast on the weakness of the West in the past. Every year on madden who was on the all madden team at DT? Bryant Mother Muffin Young! from 96-2001. Holding the Red and Gold down. I think he may have given a year to Dana Stubblefield

Madden somehow recognized that a defensive tackle actually had to do more than simply tackling the QB.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

John Randle was an absolute stud...

...at sacking the QB.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Nov 30, 2012 at 7:47 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
89.5 career sacks as an interior lineman is pretty impressive

It's 4th all-time for a DT behind John Randle,Warren Sapp,and Trevor Pryce.

Sapp will probably be one of the 15 finalists this year, IMO, with a good shot to get in. It's his first year of eligibility, too. The biggest difference is that Sapp won his SB as part of a team that was known for its defense, (as opposed to BY who won his with a team known for its offense), and Sapp was always a loud self-promoter and PR guy who is still in the public eye due to being a commentator.
Share 49ersWebzone