There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

do you think Harbaugh & Roman draw up the most creative running plays?

Not since the Walsh days has so much focus and detail been paid attention to the running game, the creativity is a strength of the team obviously , and I'm loving the combination of newer run schemes and bringing back vintage running plays from the Walsh days

Jon Gruden remarked on MNF, about how many different running plays we have in the playbook , and that he hasnt seen many of the running plays we threw at the Bears in over 20 years, and he is amazed Harbaugh & Roman have the time to have the team practice all these assortment of running plays

Walsh used to put in creative run plays, utilizing the smaller, quicker lineman coach Mckitrick tuned up for sundays.

but these days, Harbaugh & roman draw up the most creative running plays , and our big & talented lineman our planting people on their asses

Just wondering if you guys are feeling a bit nostalgic when you see all these slick running plays ...for me it takes me back to the 80's and the camelot days...Im LOVING IT
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Nov 29, 2012 at 8:26 AM ]
yes
I agree it reminds me of the good old days...
Without question...passing plays, now that's another story.
  • IT21
  • Veteran
Yes
Gore is still a great RB, but he isn't the same as he was in 2006 when he had 1700 yards.
Imagine that Gore, that just entered his prime, in this offense

Again Gore is still very good, but he wasn't the same as he was 6 years ago.
Still my favorite 49er though
I think Gruden mentioned it when he did our game on MNF. Older running play formation are used. Like the 2 back formation. Walsh used that extensively for years, because he can run or throw out of that. It would start out looking the same as a run but ended up being a pass, and vice versa.

HarRo reaching deep into Walsh's bag then add their own element and personnel to some of Walsh old WCO running plays. How about that sweep... Haven't seen those in awhile. Seifert ran it so much that the crowd would chant 'NO MORE SWEEPS!' It's not just running them, but HarRo make it work.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM ]
sometimes they out think themselves
The thing that I love about the 49ers offense and why I believe makes it the most unique in the NFL is how they disguise passing plays out of various run formations.

For example a jumbo formation with a single back, 1 WR, and two TEs (walker/vd) would scream a run play for the opposing defense and it sucks them closer to the LOS.

But once the ball is snapped, you have a WR, Walker, and VD running vertical routes, which essentially turns it into a single back formation with 3 deadly receivers catching the defense completely off guard.

And now with CK's arm delivering passes with laser-like accuracy, it becomes almost unfair.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I think Gruden mentioned it when he did our game on MNF. Older running play formation are used. Like the 2 back formation. Walsh used that extensively for years, because he can run or throw out of that. It would start out looking the same as a run but ended up being a pass, and vice versa.

HarRo reaching deep into Walsh's bag then add their own element and personnel to some of Walsh old WCO running plays. How about that sweep... Haven't seen those in awhile. Seifert ran it so much that the crowd would chant 'NO MORE SWEEPS!' It's not just running them, but HarRo make it work.

haha ...I remember that ...plus I'm loving all of the extra blockers , Tukuafu as a FB , Kilgore as a Wingback, Dobbs as a TE

I always wondered why Singletary and Raye couldnt drum up any creative running plays?? ...since Singletary was so dead set on turning the Niners into a smashmouth running team , we never saw any of the creativity currently on display from Singletary and Raye ...I got SO SICK of seeing the same play with Frank up the middle on 1st and 2nd down ...the only extra blocking was with Moran Norris at FB ....so naturally seeing all of these different blocking schemes is more than a breath of fresh air ...hopefully us 49ers fans are never subjected to that horrendous style of offensive coaching EVER AGAIN