There are 232 users in the forums

Underrated development: Jewel Hampton promoted to the active roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've always liked Jewel, he has potential and is not a small back. With LMJ down and Hunter just back from surgery he has a shot to make the 53.
It would be nice if Hampton could make the roster, but I think the spot would be better served being given to someone who has a longterm future with the team. The only way I could see them putting Hampton on the active 53 (only to be released or placed back on the practice squad in October) is if they are looking at him to replace Anthony Dixon who's contract is up next season I believe. Outside of that, they'd be better served giving it to Lavelle Hawkins, Chad Hall, or another bubble player with potential and practice squad eligibility.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
It would be nice if Hampton could make the roster, but I think the spot would be better served being given to someone who has a longterm future with the team. The only way I could see them putting Hampton on the active 53 (only to be released or placed back on the practice squad in October) is if they are looking at him to replace Anthony Dixon who's contract is up next season I believe. Outside of that, they'd be better served giving it to Lavelle Hawkins, Chad Hall, or another bubble player with potential and practice squad eligibility.

I sort of agree with you as well and could certainly envision several scenarios playing out at the FO right now. Things to consider:
  • How well does Hampton block? He's a bruiser and would be a nice compliment for the OL's style of blocking whereas Hunter will add another element. Dixon is rarely used anyhow and is mainly a short, short yardage guy and good ST player. Hampton can also play ST on the coverage units.
  • Don't forget, this coaching staff loves to reward players who came up in the system and earned it (Boone, Kilgore, Johnson, Hall, Hampton, et.). Let's not forget, Hampton worked hard last season and was "promoted" to the 53. So if a spot is finally opened for him now, why not reward him?
  • A guy like either Hawkins (good slot WR/#6 and fantastic returner) and Hall (backup returner, only dropped 1 pass all off season and ran with the #1's) can still make this team even with Hampton added. If so, that means we go with 3 TE's instead of 4. Or we go without Trenton Robinson or Will Tukuafu/TJE in the interim. Only Robinson has real ST value but is an average SS at best. Dobbs will be back after week 1 and Dorsey can play DE as well.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 31, 2013 at 6:42 AM ]
The blocking may be key, in terms of blitz pickup/protection and even serving as a lead blocker. The other thing this staff does is reward guys that can do many things with a roster spot. If he can a bruising runner, not have much of a drop off in pass protection, serve as a backup FB, and play special teams, yea this guy is here longterm.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by outside4949:
He has been a disapointment for me. I think he is slow through the hole and gets knocked down to easy. you guys must see something I don't, which is very possible. haha

I don't see what he can do that Gore and Hunter can't do better. At least with Dixon he's useful on short yardage and on the goal line, Hampton to me seems pretty redundant, especially with Lattimore joining the roster next season.

Yeah, don't see Hampton having a future with us. Maybe he makes the PS this year but with Lattimore back next year there probably isn't even room for Anthony Dixon who is a FA, much less Hampton. Only way is if we let Dixon go in FA and keep 5 RBs plus 1 FB. Seems to excessive. That's why I think we save the money and let Dixon go next year. Will need to find a short yardage back... maybe Hunter is that guy then. Will need someone to take over his ST role as well but just don't see us keeping 5 RBs plus a FB. If we do keep 5 RBs I'd rather re-sign Dixon for cheap than go with Hampton who doesn't play ST and can't backup at FB and can't cheerlead like Dixon can.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 31, 2013 at 9:24 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-sign-six-practice-squad-players-new-deals

The only other 49ers practice-squad player who did not immediately re-sign was running back Jewel Hampton.
-

Guess we've seen the last of him. Hope he latches on somewhere.
He and Bethel-Thompson signed to reserve/future deals.
Can't understand why any HB would agree to come to the 9ers unless there were NO other offers. This backfield is overloaded.
If Hampton played Sunday we would have marched our way to MetLife
Lawrence Phillips 2.0

This guy is gonna get a QB killed sooner or later.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Lawrence Phillips 2.0

This guy is gonna get a QB killed sooner or later.

Running on the edge and catching and RAC he reminded me of Hunter some. And like Hunter on many carries he had 3 DL in the backfield with him. He clearly needs to work on his pass protection but as a 3rd down back that won't be his role with us and it was obvious he hasn't worked on it.
should of been cut by the end of the game pathetic
Share 49ersWebzone