There are 159 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Next player you want to see signed to an extension

Originally posted by blm7754:
In 2013, Mike Iupati and Tarell Brown.

Iupati is obvious. But Brown is a solid player and our best all-around CB IMO. He's the type of player that won't command top dollar on the open market, so hopefully we could lock him up for fair $$$.

If Crabtree returns to the field in 2013 and plays well, then he may also be worth extending after the season. But at that point he will be a secondary priority to Kaepernick and Aldon.

I don't know about that. Brown is usually rated very high by outfits like PFO and PFF. Maicco has already written that T Brown could be the hardest player to re-sign because he'll probably be offered a hefty contract somewhere else if he hits the market. He's got real good speed and he's very disciplined. My guess is that the first Niner pick in the draft next year will be one of the top three corners available.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by tohara3:
I think Iupati and Crabtree get signed this season then Kaepernick and Aldon next season

no way in hell crabs gets resigned this offseason...not coming off a serious injury.

I could see it happening if he comes back at Thanksgiving and is a force.. like 100+ yds/game
I'll be surprised if Crabtree comes back at all this season.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by blm7754:
In 2013, Mike Iupati and Tarell Brown.

Iupati is obvious. But Brown is a solid player and our best all-around CB IMO. He's the type of player that won't command top dollar on the open market, so hopefully we could lock him up for fair $$$.

If Crabtree returns to the field in 2013 and plays well, then he may also be worth extending after the season. But at that point he will be a secondary priority to Kaepernick and Aldon.

I don't know about that. Brown is usually rated very high by outfits like PFO and PFF. Maicco has already written that T Brown could be the hardest player to re-sign because he'll probably be offered a hefty contract somewhere else if he hits the market. He's got real good speed and he's very disciplined. My guess is that the first Niner pick in the draft next year will be one of the top three corners available.

I see Brown as our best CB. If the coaching staff feels the same way, then I see no reason why we couldn't retain Brown. I believe that Rogers will have been paid all of his guaranteed money after this season. So we could cut him to free up cap space for Brown.

The fact that we didn't draft a CB this year indicates that we are depending on either Brown or Rogers (and Culliver) as our starters in 2014. We won't draft a rookie CB with the expectation that he start from day 1.

So it's between Rogers and Brown... who's the better long term solution? I think it's obviously Brown. So I don't see us letting him walk.
Craig Dahl
Yeah, I hope they can retain Brown because I agree that he's their best corner. I just think it might be harder to do that we think.

I'm really hoping Marcus Cooper works out. He's 6'2" and runs a 4.45 40, so he's physically all there.
I think the next one they have to lock up is Iupati. They've got a potential elite franchise QB for years to come. Get one of the best o-lines in the league in place and set for him.
We are already working on Iupati but we are in no hurry to get it done. It will be done before 2015 FA but that's a long time away. Don't believe we can extend Kaepernick or Aldon until after this season due to the 3 year rule but could be wrong. I hope Culliver emerges as a #1 or even #2 and plays well throughout the season. He needs to be able to track the ball better. That being said I can see us loading up on CB's early in next year's draft. Very well could take 2 in the first 3 picks with SS being the other likely option. Rogers will have to restructure next year or be cut. Cox, Asomugha, Brock (ST) are all FA's after this year could just leave Culliver under contract. I like Brown, he played really really well last year and is underrated in general but that being said he could go to the open market and receive much more from another team. I could see him being gone. Plus he will be 30 before 1 season of his new contract ends. I would give him a 2-3 year deal but not sure I want another Rogers 4 year deal. Carlos really fell off and I think we signed him out of need more than anything. He shouldn't have been given 4 years and that much money especially at 31. He had a career year but it was unlikely he would continue that. He really fell off. Good guy, good team guy but making way too much. So let's hope out of need we don't do another Rogers deal with Brown although I think Brown would be a little safer and a year or two younger when signing the deal. I just don't expect anything soon with Brown. Could wait until after the season before FA starts and if I had to guess we would offer a 2-3 year deal at maybe 10-12 million total. He could probably get 4 years 18-20 million elsewhere. But that's just a wild guess.

So anyways, like I said I think Iupati will be signed it's only a matter of time. He could be the next to sign and it could be during the season. Kaepernick and Aldon we have to wait on until after the season I believe. Brown probably wont be offered until after the season. I expect us to offer a contract extension to Colt McCoy and/or Tolzien but likely McCoy as well but that will be after the season. Also, depending on how they do Dawson, Asomugha, and Boldin could be back as well.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jun 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,134
Mike Iupati should be the next priority, keeping the O-line together for as long as the 9ers can is a major must.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Iupati, Kaep, Aldon

Aldon still has something to prove after his play w/o Cowboy IF he wants to be the highest paid OLB or something. Dude looked like a different player... the cowboy will not always be there to inflate Aldon's numbers.


thats crazy talk Aldon doesnt have anything to prove he has more sacks in his first 2 seasons than anyone in the history of the game...I will repeat more than anyone ever... He was hurt and didnt have his normal explosiveness during the playoff strech but to give all the credit to J. Smith is just stupid if all a OLB had to do to get tons of sacks is play with J. Smith (whom I love by the way but people around here act like A. Smith is average or below average without him.) than why didnt other linebackers who played next to J.Smith not put up huge numbers. Nope that is flawed logic A. smith was hurt and it showed down the stretch. However He is a special talent when it comes to getting to the QB and I look forward to seeing him get to the QB for our D for years and years to come even after J. Smith retires! That being said Aldon and Kaep are by for our two most important players to extend in the next couple years and its not close after those two.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by blm7754:
In 2013, Mike Iupati and Tarell Brown.

Iupati is obvious. But Brown is a solid player and our best all-around CB IMO. He's the type of player that won't command top dollar on the open market, so hopefully we could lock him up for fair $$$.

If Crabtree returns to the field in 2013 and plays well, then he may also be worth extending after the season. But at that point he will be a secondary priority to Kaepernick and Aldon.

I don't know about that. Brown is usually rated very high by outfits like PFO and PFF. Maicco has already written that T Brown could be the hardest player to re-sign because he'll probably be offered a hefty contract somewhere else if he hits the market. He's got real good speed and he's very disciplined. My guess is that the first Niner pick in the draft next year will be one of the top three corners available.

I think Brown is more valuable than Dashon, and look at what Dashon got. Expect at the very least a 8-12 mill contract, as someone is always willing to pay. As for Crabtree, I don't think the niners will resign him when his contract expires, one drawback to signing him to a big deal is that he has a hostory of injuries. Iupati and Later Kaep and Aldon are the main cogs to be signed.
[ Edited by WildBill on Jun 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerfan1984:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Iupati, Kaep, Aldon

Aldon still has something to prove after his play w/o Cowboy IF he wants to be the highest paid OLB or something. Dude looked like a different player... the cowboy will not always be there to inflate Aldon's numbers.


thats crazy talk Aldon doesnt have anything to prove he has more sacks in his first 2 seasons than anyone in the history of the game...I will repeat more than anyone ever... He was hurt and didnt have his normal explosiveness during the playoff strech but to give all the credit to J. Smith is just stupid if all a OLB had to do to get tons of sacks is play with J. Smith (whom I love by the way but people around here act like A. Smith is average or below average without him.) than why didnt other linebackers who played next to J.Smith not put up huge numbers. Nope that is flawed logic A. smith was hurt and it showed down the stretch. However He is a special talent when it comes to getting to the QB and I look forward to seeing him get to the QB for our D for years and years to come even after J. Smith retires! That being said Aldon and Kaep are by for our two most important players to extend in the next couple years and its not close after those two.

I agree, Aldon has nothing to prove. Why? Look at the guy he replaced. Never put up those numbers with JS there all those seasons. Plus people are forgetting Aldon was hurt during that same stretch that JS was hurt. Anybody that gets 10+ sacks is elite
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I think the next one they have to lock up is Iupati. They've got a potential elite franchise QB for years to come. Get one of the best o-lines in the league in place and set for him.

This
O-Line for sure.
We need Crabtree for the future...