There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Hers my opinion on Alex, we release him he's been a class act and deserves to be released.

If I were Alex Smith, I'd demand to be released after the season no matter what the outcome (yes, even with the scenario Smith takes the 49ers to the SB.)

This. I think Alex will ask Harbaugh for a release as soon as the season is over and Harbaugh will give it to him....

While I am sure treating guys with respect is a priority, remember that they are trying to run a BUSINESS. Simply releasing Smith makes zero sense from a business standpoint. Make no mistake, if the 49er front office believes that we can get something in return for Alex they will do what is beneficial for the organization and not for Alex Smith.
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Hers my opinion on Alex, we release him he's been a class act and deserves to be released.

If I were Alex Smith, I'd demand to be released after the season no matter what the outcome (yes, even with the scenario Smith takes the 49ers to the SB.)

This. I think Alex will ask Harbaugh for a release as soon as the season is over and Harbaugh will give it to him....

While I am sure treating guys with respect is a priority, remember that they are trying to run a BUSINESS. Simply releasing Smith makes zero sense from a business standpoint. Make no mistake, if the 49er front office believes that we can get something in return for Alex they will do what is beneficial for the organization and not for Alex Smith.

This.

But that means spending $9 million waiting for a trade.

If I'm running a business, I'm not locking up $9 million dollars at the beginning of off season waiting for a trade.
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:

This.

Not sure...I think Harbaugh would...not sure about Baalke.
Originally posted by mkmasn:

But that means spending $9 million waiting for a trade.

If I'm running a business, I'm not locking up $9 million dollars at the beginning of off season waiting for a trade.

If i am not mistaken, it would mean 1 milion spent. The rest is not due at the time of the 1 million.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
If i am not mistaken, it would mean 1 milion spent. The rest is not due at the time of the 1 million.

"If benched quarterback Alex Smith is on the 49ers' roster as of April 1, 2013, his full base salary of $7.5 million for next season will be guaranteed.
Barring a stretch-run faceplant by Colin Kaepernick, don't expect to see Smith back with the Niners unless he's willing to take a massive pay cut and accept a backup role. (And that is highly unlikely.) If the 49ers cut Smith before April 1, they would owe him only $1 million for 2013. Smith is also due a $1 million roster bonus in March. They'll probably pink-slip him right before that. Nov 25 - 12:55 PM" http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3119/alex-smith

So it looks like $1 Mil in March and $7.5 in April.
The only compensation we are getting for Alex Smith is the cap space saved by cutting him.

The only thing we get by keeping Smith is a solid backup for our playoff run. He'll be cut in the offseason. No team is dumb enough to trade for him and assume his contact.
Originally posted by strickac:
The only thing we get by keeping Smith is a solid backup for our playoff run. He'll be cut in the offseason. No team is dumb enough to trade for him and assume his contact.

His contract is nothing and as a free agent at the bare minimum he'll get the same value with more years tacked on.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

His contract is nothing and as a free agent at the bare minimum he'll get the same value with more years tacked on.

When everyone knows we're going to cut him anyway, we lose all the leverage. Unless teams think there's going to be a bidding war, there's no reason to surrender draft picks for the guy. Last year, Smith barely got a sniff. Miami low balled him and went with Garrard instead. Jim has done a fantastic job with him, but history show that he struggles in most other systems. He needs a strong supporting cast to win and those QB jobs aren't available often.

Someone mentioned the Browns earlier, which would make sense, but I don't think they'll go that route with Weeden starting.
When everyone knows we're going to cut him anyway, we lose all the leverage. Unless teams think there's going to be a bidding war, there's no reason to surrender draft picks for the guy. Last year, Smith barely got a sniff. Miami low balled him and went with Garrard instead. Jim has done a fantastic job with him, but history show that he struggles in most other systems. He needs a strong supporting cast to win and those QB jobs aren't available often.

Someone mentioned the Browns earlier, which would make sense, but I don't think they'll go that route with Weeden starting.

Regarding last year. Everyone also knew that Alex was going back here if Manning said no, and Miami offered him the same contract we did. I'm not saying he's going to get a significant raise or anything if he gets cut, but 9 mil is Matt Flynn money. A washed up Jake Delhomme got 7 mil in Cleveland. Alex will easily get that as a free agent and will get a 3 or 4 year deal as well. Point being contract wise it doesn't matter.

I'm not arguing against the picks, but that can be worked around too. We could offer a deal were significant compensation only happens if Alex succeeds with his next team. If his new team makes the playoffs we get a 2nd rounder.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
I think you can win now with Alex Smith..but a lot of things have to be in place and I don't know if that's realistic. Alex Smith is good for 17-20 TDs give or take. You need to have one hell of a D and special teams if you want to win with your QB generating just over 1TD per game. It will be interesting to see what he looks like once he's expected to win games on a game by game basis rather than being asked to manage the game.

It's true many things have to be in place, but the "luxury" that you get with Smith is that you have a QB that can win (including in the playoffs), but you don't have to pay him an astronomical salary which opens up more cap space for those special players on D. I already mentioned San Diego as an option. If I were in Kansas City or Cleveland, I'd take a look at Smith as well. They can have a relatively young QB (he would only be 29), that can lead, keep the team in position to win, and use the high draft picks they are certain to get on defensive players/playmakers and a receiver. I'd say Kansas City with the team they have now is easily 6-10/7-9 with Smith as the quarterback. Throw in some extra players and you have a team that could contend for a wildcard spot.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
It's true many things have to be in place, but the "luxury" that you get with Smith is that you have a QB that can win (including in the playoffs), but you don't have to pay him an astronomical salary which opens up more cap space for those special players on D. I already mentioned San Diego as an option. If I were in Kansas City or Cleveland, I'd take a look at Smith as well. They can have a relatively young QB (he would only be 29), that can lead, keep the team in position to win, and use the high draft picks they are certain to get on defensive players/playmakers and a receiver. I'd say Kansas City with the team they have now is easily 6-10/7-9 with Smith as the quarterback. Throw in some extra players and you have a team that could contend for a wildcard spot.

He won 1 game. Romo has won more games. Grossman has as well. Not to put down Smith, but it's a terribly small sample size, is it not? He's lost as many games as he has won. I personally do not think Smith can lead a team that is bad enough to need a QB.

So you think Alex Smith gives KC 6 extra wins this year? How? They have been blown out in virtually every game and have rarely been in the lead. How do the Chiefs win 6 extra games with a weaker system, OC, receivers/te's, defense than the 9ers along with a QB who consistently ranks at the bottom of the league in 3rd down conversion and plays very conservative?

Not bashing, I just think the Chiefs are really, really bad and not even a good QB could make them a decent team. Their issues go beyond QB. I personally think Smith would be more successful with a more stable team like a San Diego or Philly. He'd be decent on the Jets too if they replaced Sporano. Kansas City, though? No way.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

San Diego really isn't an option. They're not cutting Rivers. It makes no sense to cut Rivers, deal with a bunch of dead cap space, give up draft picks to acquire Alex then continue to have one of the worse O lines in football. If you're them you're much smarter off trying to upgrade the talent around Rivers. Same with Dallas or Oakland. Teams are just hesitent to cut qbs when they owe them a bank load of money.

Kansas City is the most likely team to land Geno Smith so whoever has the top pick with a pressing need for a qb will take that route over Alex.

Really I think it comes down to Philly, Clv or the Jets in a trade. Arizona is only a option if Alex gets cut. Vick is going to be a free agent as well. If you got an owner looking to sell tickets 1st (Jets) don't be surprised to see Vick be taken over Alex.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 2, 2012 at 7:51 AM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Regarding last year. Everyone also knew that Alex was going back here if Manning said no, and Miami offered him the same contract we did. I'm not saying he's going to get a significant raise or anything if he gets cut, but 9 mil is Matt Flynn money. A washed up Jake Delhomme got 7 mil in Cleveland. Alex will easily get that as a free agent and will get a 3 or 4 year deal as well. Point being contract wise it doesn't matter.

I'm not arguing against the picks, but that can be worked around too. We could offer a deal were significant compensation only happens if Alex succeeds with his next team. If his new team makes the playoffs we get a 2nd rounder.

So essentially a late round, conditional pick? I think that would be the best case scenario. I hope we get something in return, but it would be a surprise for sure, to me.