Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
trade him for a box of tater tots

That was useful.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
People are also failing to realize that these so called teams that need a QB (which is really like 5 teams MAX), could use the draft as a way to get a QB.

If you need a qb today, would you spend a late round 1st early 2nd on a rookie QB that unless you strike gold needs a year or two or trade that pick for a seasoned vet that was ranked #3 in the rankings and let his team to a 6-2 record before being replaced by a hothanded rookie that looked more explosive?

Especially if you felt you had all the other pieces and he was on a 2 year contract that was very reasonable?

Because teams that need QBs arent good teams that are built to win now. Yes, in your example, a team that had all the other pieces in place but a QB would likely prefer Alex to a rookie. But how many situations like that exist in the NFL right now?
If you need a qb today, would you spend a late round 1st early 2nd on a rookie QB that unless you strike gold needs a year or two or trade that pick for a seasoned vet that was ranked #3 in the rankings and let his team to a 6-2 record before being replaced by a hothanded rookie that looked more explosive?

Especially if you felt you had all the other pieces and he was on a 2 year contract that was very reasonable?

It just depends on the team's talent level and what they're looking to do. Most of the time teams looking for a new qb are also teams with new head coaches. There's different strategies. Some take the Harbaugh approach and grab Smith and draft a developmental guy. Others jump in jhead first with the sexy rookie which might not be there this year.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM ]
Is there a scenario in which we can get alex to restructure lowering his salary while absorbing the 4/1 salary hit,Then we pick up the phone calling every AFC team fielding offers

I think keeping alex out of the NFC is priority 1.
[ Edited by 94605NiNer on Nov 27, 2012 at 12:12 PM ]
I have been thinking he lands in Philly for awhile now. But the more i think about it, Jets could be a real possibility as well. Especially if Ryan keeps his job.

I think if there is a trade, Philly and the Jets make some sense. Other teams might be interested as well.

If he gets released i fully expect multiple teams to be involved, but the three teams i see possibly making strong cases would be Philly, Jets, and Arizona. You could add alot that could be possibilitys though, but i do not want to see him in Arizona.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Nov 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM ]
Tebow went for a 4th and 6th and cash. We could get a 3rd for Alex IMO and possibly another late pick.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Tebow went for a 4th and 6th and cash. We could get a 3rd for Alex IMO and possibly another late pick.

QB class isaint very deep this year, I could see an early to mid second rounder, and a fourth/fifth.
I think the best offer you get for Smith is a 5th rounder... That's at BEST! JH made Smith look serviceable. Teams looking for a QB are not gonna trade anything of value to pick up Mr. Add Nuthing. You trade for assets and Smith was the weak link of this team - JH built "for" AS not around him...

Dirty
Because teams that need QBs arent good teams that are built to win now. Yes, in your example, a team that had all the other pieces in place but a QB would likely prefer Alex to a rookie. But how many situations like that exist in the NFL right now?

The eagles would be a pretty good fit. Jacksonville could be another. Az would also be another destination...but I doubt that we trade Alex to a rival.
This all depends on who starts at qb the rest of the season and how we finish.

But I think Trent would like to cut bait with Alex and use the money for the D.

Alex will not restructure his contract so Kap can start and he can ride the pine.

I say it between Philly, Jets and the Cards. These are 3 teams playing well below their talent level and I think Alex would go for any of these teams (even for less money) over cellar dwellers.

The eagles would be a pretty good fit. Jacksonville could be another. Az would also be another destination...but I doubt that we trade Alex to a rival.

I dont disagree with you that Alex could be better than any option on any of those three teams. My question to you is do you really think those teams are JUST missing a QB? In my opinion, those teams are an absolute MESS. If i was the GM of those teams, I draft a QB and hope I pick one that turns into a franchise guy. In no way do I sign an average, veteran QB to be the starter. Those teams are no where close to winning now, so bringing in a veteran stopgap makes no sense.
Since there are a lot of teams that need a very good QB like KC and the others listed here - if I'm a GM and have a QB need - I'm not waiting for him to hit FA. I make an offer and get what I need.

The more teams that need a QB the more likely some will make an offer.
are you kidding? teams like oakland, cleveland, miami, would definately bring him in
Couple things. I agree with cc about so many folks taking shots at alex. I also agree w/ tjd that Kap is more valuable in that his contract is $1mil. That doesn't mean I favor kap, who has looked spectacular in two games....and that is the key....TWO (2) games. Kap hasn't seen Osi, Pierre Paul, Tuck all up close and personal. He has yet to see 4 300 pounders up close in his grill. And until he does that , he is an unknown commodity in my opinion. Is now the time to find out how kap does with the BIG RUSH, or should we do this like sane people and let him start in TC and PS and see how he does. Bringing in an excellent player with terrific upside may be great for the rams game, and the slimmed down SEahawks(minus two CBs). But is Coach H really ready to try out Kap against PATS? I don't think so.

And then we are in the playoffs, and Kap would get a lot of unwanted learning from every BIG RUSH out there. That IS the playoffs. One great D against another. If the Os are good then they win. But if the O has a rook playing qb, then you have situated yourself from a position of power to a position of weakness. Who knows, maybe Kap would be just the ticket for the NYG or ATL. But chances are also good, maybe better, that Kap isn't ready yet. He beat a bad rams team and then beat a coachless, thinned out D in New Orleans...and our D scored 14 pts. I wouldn't want my coaching career in the hands of a rook, no matter how good...and especially only 5 games away from playoffs.. Hey, good? check out Cam Newton. Guy can run like a deer, and throw the ball the length of the field. He's having a bad yr. No reason Kap couldn't do the same. If he's great and Harbaugh picks him to win it all, then good luck when the nut cutters come. And they will.Nah, he's going with Alex, which is the percentage play. And the players, who admire kaps abilities, know that alex is the best pick...heck, they ALL want that SB ring with a W on it...
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Nov 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM ]
I'll be surprised if we get anything higher than a 5th