LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
The longer he stays away, the more I'm convinced that he actually doesn't want to play guard anymore for the Niners. Everyone knows how they handled Gore. And NOBODY thinks they're going to give Boone breaks they were unwilling to give Gore. At this point, a guess would be that his agent has been talking to one or two teams that noticed how he completely stoned out Robert Quinn last season when he went to left tackle to replace an injured Joe Staley. There's a lot more money at left tackle than at guard. Boone may be thinking he can move back to tackle with another team and that it would be a good career move for him at this time. And, if this is the case, the only question is how much some team might offer Baalke for him. My guess is that if it's a second or a third and a player, Baalke pulls the trigger.

Because come on. Everyone knows they won't negotiate unless he comes in and he isn't coming in.
Trade him. This is a selfish act. Boone signed a contract, and needs to adhere to it. I wish Owners would renegotiate with players who once sign an extension then play like crap. We never see that. this is all about him and not the team. show the fk up & play, then maybe you might get somewhere
Originally posted by LVJay:
Holding out is like holding in your pee pee, Boone... it's not good for you

Originally posted by Wrathman:
The front office doesn't negotiate with hold outs. If they didn't do it for Gore, the're definitely not going to do it for Boone! If they negotiate and give a contract extension to him, then every player will do it. Wake up Boone! Go to camp and then they'll talk.

especially since vernon showed up, would show up vernon for showing up and handling it the right way, niners have all the power. boone is a goner unless he comes to his senses. i really don't care, i think we won't see a huge drop off with martin or whoever we put in there.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
how many years left on boone's deal? two?

i honestly have no problem replacing him with kilgore.

Kilgore will be at C.

marcus martin doe

Looney has the inside track at RG. He's getting all the first team reps.
Originally posted by crake49:
The longer he stays away, the more I'm convinced that he actually doesn't want to play guard anymore for the Niners. Everyone knows how they handled Gore. And NOBODY thinks they're going to give Boone breaks they were unwilling to give Gore. At this point, a guess would be that his agent has been talking to one or two teams that noticed how he completely stoned out Robert Quinn last season when he went to left tackle to replace an injured Joe Staley. There's a lot more money at left tackle than at guard. Boone may be thinking he can move back to tackle with another team and that it would be a good career move for him at this time. And, if this is the case, the only question is how much some team might offer Baalke for him. My guess is that if it's a second or a third and a player, Baalke pulls the trigger.

Because come on. Everyone knows they won't negotiate unless he comes in and he isn't coming in.

One of the better theories I've read. Sounds very plausible to me. I just hope we don't get screwed from it. Nah we have Baalke!
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM
So because we have the leverage here, this will resolve itself. Does a player count against the roster after 53-man cut down day if he's holding out or does it work like the PUP list where you only need to make room for him until you add him to the active roster if he doesn't report by Aug 5?

Originally posted by DeUh:
To my understanding when the FO puts a player on the Reserve / Did Not Report List the team gains a roster exempttion. That means the player does not count against the roster + the team still hold all the rights for the length of the contract.
Furthermore if the player does not report until Week 8 of the regular season he does not get credit for the season.

Please correct me if I´m wrong.

[ Edited by DeUh on Jul 25, 2014 at 1:39 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
So because we have the leverage here, this will resolve itself. Does a player count against the roster after 53-man cut down day if he's holding out or does it work like the PUP list where you only need to make room for him until you add him to the active roster if he doesn't report by Aug 5?

To my understanding when the FO puts a player on the Reserve / Did Not Report List the team gains a roster exempttion. That means the player does not count against the roster + the team still hold all the rights for the length of the contract.
Furthermore if the player does not report until Week 8 of the regular season he does not get credit for the season.

Please correct me if I�m wrong.

I think trading him is better than punishing him via the suspended roster spot. Assuming we can keep him and free up a spot, and we can't resolve the situation. I'm in favor of trading him. Good for both. We get a high round draft pick (I hope maybe a 2nd rounder- remember he was an UDFA) and we can give that spot to a promising player that we don't need to cut because Boone is already gone. Boone gets to play left tackle and becomes one of the premiere left takes in the league.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think trading him is better than punishing him via the suspended roster spot. Assuming we can keep him and free up a spot, and we can't resolve the situation. I'm in favor of trading him. Good for both. We get a high round draft pick (I hope maybe a 2nd rounder- remember he was an UDFA) and we can give that spot to a promising player that we don't need to cut because Boone is already gone. Boone gets to play left tackle and becomes one of the premiere left takes in the league.

If he's intent on not coming in, I completely agree with this because everyone wins. I think he's real good, but Baalke has prepared for losses on the line. Looney, Kilgore or Martin will be fine this year and next year, Brandon Thomas is going to be an absolute beast at guard. In fact, if this makes it easier to sign Iupati, imagine the starting line next year with Staley, Iupati, Martin, Thomas and Davis. Yikes.
Trade him!

Please correct me if I´m wrong.

DeUh you're 100% right, he wouldn't count against the 53 man roster, and loses a credited season after week 8. He can be fined $30K a day he misses TC Practice.
Just heard on NFLN that Boone was offered a two year contract extension last year (if I heard that correctly) that would have paid him top #15 in the NFL for G's and he turned it down. If this is true, eff this guy. Step on up Looney!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Just heard on NFLN that Boone was offered a two year contract extension last year (if I heard that correctly) that would have paid him top #15 in the NFL for G's and he turned it down. If this is true, eff this guy. Step on up Looney!

Why should he take top 15 money if he is top 10?

We already have a new center. why rock the boat? Let's everybody be reasonable and get this done. Boone, check in to Hotel two a day. FO, let's work the cap.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Why should he take top 15 money if he is top 10?

We already have a new center. why rock the boat? Let's everybody be reasonable and get this done. Boone, check in to Hotel two a day. FO, let's work the cap.

I don't even think he's a top 15! He didn't play like it last year anyhow...like him a lot but that sounds like he's being unreasonable. Wonder if he wants to be traded to play T and get T money or like you said, top 5 or 10 G money at the least. Hmmmm
C'mon guys. Let's all be friends.

Getting to know you....getting to know all about you....

Share 49ersWebzone