LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 345 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Joe Looney can do his job at guard as good as he is. Baalke and the front office wont lose any sleep on him holding out on training camp. It will hurt him more than the team.

If one of the new O linemen does well, maybe one of the two martins. I wouldn't put it past Baalke to trade Boone for a couple of draft picks. Not saying he will, but again if the 49ers think they have good offensive line depth they just might do that. Afterall, before Boone was Chilo Rachel and he replaced Chilo, and he was an UDFA before than. They have some promising young linemen that - talent wise - might just be as good or better than boone. It might be the Alex smith situation again but it's playing out at the O-line Guard position.
Won't Boone likely be cheaper than Iupati? And I believe Boone has actually been better than Iupati. We should probably try and give Boone a new contract, especially if we aren't expected to have long term plans for Iupati. We need to keep one of them dudes around and Boone should be the cheaper option, but who really knows how much he is looking for.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
I'm never a proponent of holding out to get a new contract but I understand why he's doing it. He signed a contact extension to play a swing backup tackle position and was immediately promoted to starting guard, playing quite well to everyone's surprise. He has obviously outplayed that contract and as someone already mentioned could suffer a career ending injury at any moment without having the chance to cash in on his success. So I believe he is deserving of a new contract, far more deserving that VD who has not outplayed his last extension. It just sucks that his desire for a new deal comes at a time where seemingly every major position on our team is up for new contracts. Hopefully they get something done with him sooner than later because players who hold out through training camp have a habit of getting hurt when they return.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Won't Boone likely be cheaper than Iupati? And I believe Boone has actually been better than Iupati. We should probably try and give Boone a new contract, especially if we aren't expected to have long term plans for Iupati. We need to keep one of them dudes around and Boone should be the cheaper option, but who really knows how much he is looking for.

You have to try and keep one of the two for continuity. Lines suffer when you replace multiple parts in a season. We already have to replace the center so we need him in camp this year. I think you resign Boone to a deal that at least pays starter money and make him happy rathar than pay Big Mike top five money next year and lose Crabs in the bargain. YMMV, but I think Boone plus Crabs plus our line having both starting gaurds in place for the year is better than letting just stock pilling what little money there is to pay Lupati.
All of you that want us to pay him now, with what money do we pay him?
Originally posted by rammer:
Originally posted by facestabber:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Now suddenly Boone is nothing special no more than a solid starter? some of you know nothing about the position if you believe that. Boone is a top guard in the nfl. The position is so under valued on this forum I swear. Remember how bad rachal was and how we could not stop the double a gap blitz with him in there? Also pretty tired of reading how every late Rd pick is able to step right in at any position as if they're all guaranteed. These guys take years to develop. Look at kilgore. He's nowhere near the player Boone is. Get real folks. I don't like the holdout either but I'm not going to discount the players talent over it. The rhino is a beast.

I completely agree. Well said.

I used to believe that if you agreed to a contract that you need to go by it, but after being around football players,its possible that his next play could be his last.

Then what? Tell him to take a hike?

PAY THE MAN!!!!

We need Boone!!

Than what?

So if SF pays Boone with 2 years left on his contract while he is holding out, how many other players will be holding out with 2 years left on their contract?
Originally posted by Esco:
I'm never a proponent of holding out to get a new contract but I understand why he's doing it. He signed a contact extension to play a swing backup tackle position and was immediately promoted to starting guard, playing quite well to everyone's surprise. He has obviously outplayed that contract and as someone already mentioned could suffer a career ending injury at any moment without having the chance to cash in on his success. So I believe he is deserving of a new contract, far more deserving that VD who has not outplayed his last extension. It just sucks that his desire for a new deal comes at a time where seemingly every major position on our team is up for new contracts. Hopefully they get something done with him sooner than later because players who hold out through training camp have a habit of getting hurt when they return.

Totally agree he has outplayed his deal and SF needs to extend his deal, but you can't do that while he is holding out with 2 years left on his contract, half the team would hold out!

Boone who was a UDFA, was in trouble with the law, and has a serious drinking problem was taken in by SF and given a contract that gave his family security before he was a starter, so SF took a big chance on him. He took the guaranteed money instead of betting on his self and that is something he has to deal with and move on to his next deal, which is in 2 years. Joe Staley is grossly underpaid and still shows up and works hard and now there is talks of extending him, Boone needs to do the same.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 14, 2014 at 8:04 AM ]
Originally posted by Esco:

EVERY football player has risk of injury, that argument is bogus. Mark my words he might get an extension, however the negotiations will not start until Boone shows up for training camp and is a full participant. The 9errs would never set the precedent to negotiate in good faith with a person who is not even in the building. Boone is not Revis, Matter of fact I think the Boone hold out will HELP the Niners, giving more snaps to Looney and Martin during campl.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by daragon:

He's already guaranteed a certain salary for next season and the way these contracts are written now you can give higher signing bonuses with lower bases to work within the team's cap. Really what these guys are looking for is long term security so a longer deal with better overall guarantees may do the trick. What I do know for sure is that we have one of the best cap guys in the league so if anyone can find a way he can.
Originally posted by daragon:

You would have to structure it so that the bump this year is very, very small or wait until after cuts to announce it for sure. Then let it grow gradually over time. That or restructure somebody.

What sucks for Boone is he is holding out at the same time VD is. I really do not think we will give VD a contract and eventhough Boone is more deserving of a contract I doubt he will get one either cuz I dont know if it would be smart to reward one and not the other. Either way I dont think negotiations should happen unless the players show up to camp.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
What sucks for Boone is he is holding out at the same time VD is. I really do not think we will give VD a contract and eventhough Boone is more deserving of a contract I doubt he will get one either cuz I dont know if it would be smart to reward one and not the other. Either way I dont think negotiations should happen unless the players show up to camp.

They can't do an extension where the increase doesn't start till next year ?
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by AUniner:
Cap space? If I'm Baalke I've already been on the phone assessing his trade value.

I don't want a guy on our OL who is not fully invested in the 49ers. I don't trust that guy and there is too much to lose if he's not giving his all to protect our QB.

His contract is extremely cap friendly.

First of all, how did you determine that he is not fully invested in the 49ers? Second, why does that matter? If he doesn't give his all, it effects HIM more than it effects us. Just like his holdout effects HIM more than it effects us. Therefore, I can see no reason to believe he will not play his best because we have not given him a new contract.

You can't see where a guy who pulled out all the stops to get a new contract, ended up, potentially, losing a boat load of money in the process, might come back a bit disgruntled and giving less than his best effort? It's simple human nature man.

I know the one time I went hard for a raise, and after feeling I had overwhelmed that boss with a break down of my shining performance and what my value to the company only to have him turn around and deny me even 1 red cent and without even honestly giving it any thought I was effing pissed. I ended up leaving that job not too terribly long afterward while giving a decent effort at best in the meantime.

These guys are people, but most are entitled due to the exclusivity of their profession. Why wouldn't they behave as nearly any other person might?
[ Edited by WINiner on Jul 14, 2014 at 5:54 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Now suddenly Boone is nothing special no more than a solid starter? some of you know nothing about the position if you believe that. Boone is a top guard in the nfl. The position is so under valued on this forum I swear. Remember how bad rachal was and how we could not stop the double a gap blitz with him in there? Also pretty tired of reading how every late Rd pick is able to step right in at any position as if they're all guaranteed. These guys take years to develop. Look at kilgore. He's nowhere near the player Boone is. Get real folks. I don't like the holdout either but I'm not going to discount the players talent over it. The rhino is a beast.

A: You know this how? B: Boone never did s**t until he was given the chance. C: have stats or rankings by the sites that do such things to prove that top guard statement? I honestly think he would be a far better T than G.
I like Boone but any team with a hole to fill at guard would love to take on that contract. Lol. I would also believe a team that values his play and needs his services to be a winning franchise this year would be willing to offer a low 2nd to high 3rd rounder. I would snap that trade up so fast, Boone wouldnt know what hit him. If he doesnt report, then ship him.
Share 49ersWebzone