There are 237 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Uhh...
I know ill get alot of heat for this but hands down Ill sign Boone over Crabtree...
Boone is reliable and good blocking is hard to come by.
This guy to me is a great Guard,

But does he remember when he was a damn alcoholic and was throwing his whole career away because he was a trouble maker.

This guy should be thanking us for saving his life and actually giving him a name on the 49ers.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a contract, but the way he's doing it is a little disrespectful.
Originally posted by Constantine:
Uhh...
I know ill get alot of heat for this but hands down Ill sign Boone over Crabtree...

Boone is great,but it's a lot easier to replace a OG than a true #1 WR.
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by Constantine:
Uhh...

Boone is great,but it's a lot easier to replace a OG than a true #1 WR.

This. I thought after the putrid display our passing offense put on during the first half of the 2013 season that it was understood by everyone what Crabtree's value is.

As for Alex Boone, this is a very bad move. It also means nothing but opportunity for Joe Looney, Daniel Kilgore, and even Johnathan Martin. Trading Boone is an option, but it would have to be something ridiculous like a 2nd or 3rd round pick for the front office to even consider it.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This. I thought after the putrid display our passing offense put on during the first half of the 2013 season that it was understood by everyone what Crabtree's value is.

As for Alex Boone, this is a very bad move. It also means nothing but opportunity for Joe Looney, Daniel Kilgore, and even Johnathan Martin. Trading Boone is an option, but it would have to be something ridiculous like a 2nd or 3rd round pick for the front office to even consider it.

There are teams willing to consider it I bet. Boone is going to lose this battle
team cant do well without both iupati and boone

gonna have to pick one and pay them eventually.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Boone's people have to know how the 49ers front office operates. It almost looks like Boone's people approached the 49ers about an extension and the team said no thanks, and now Boone is trying to force his way out of town.

Sound plausible?

I've wondered for some time if his agents doesn't think he can get better money by going someplace else to play LT. Tackle is his natural position and he can make a whole bunch more money at that position. He really may want out of town because he will never play tackle here.
Might be time to see what we can get for him. Although I just can't imagine him losing his salary and not playing for a year to prove his point. In the end I would think he would report.
Alex Boone at guard is a definite strength on the 49ers O-line, but he's negotiating from a position of weakness.

First, The Niners have players they can plug into his position. When training camp opens don't be surprised if Adam Snyder or Jonathan Martin are lined up at RG or whomever loses the battle between Daniel Kilgore and Marcus Martin.

Second, Mike Iupati is in his walk year. If anyone has a reason to be demanding a new contract it's him and between resigning a 1st-rounder in Iupati or a7th rounder who had to work to even make the team, I'm signing Iupati first.

Third, Boone is under contract. He has NO leverage here. If he doesn't want to show up, fine his butt and let him watch that nibble away at his $2 million bucks.

Fourth, I'm a working stiff too. I get wanting to be paid more. Boone has outperformed his contract. But he IS under contract. This isn't the way to get a better one and the 49ers shouldn't give him one.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
If his camp wants to dick around with FO, let Boone sit... trade him later on to the London Shaguars!

Cawk sucker fans, keep wishing......
I have a bad feeling we've seen the last of Boone. Too bad, but they're very strong and deep on the O-line. Looney is probably just as effective. I like Boone a lot, but with Thomas coming along and Looney showing what he did last year while he was in, Boone simply doesn't have a lot of leverage here. Plus, everyone knows Baalke is a hard a$$. I just don't see this turning out well for Boone unless his goal is to play for another team.

Originally posted by barrymartin:
Boone's people have to know how the 49ers front office operates. It almost looks like Boone's people approached the 49ers about an extension and the team said no thanks, and now Boone is trying to force his way out of town.

Sound plausible?

I've wondered for some time if his agents doesn't think he can get better money by going someplace else to play LT. Tackle is his natural position and he can make a whole bunch more money at that position. He really may want out of town because he will never play tackle here.
Might be time to see what we can get for him. Although I just can't imagine him losing his salary and not playing for a year to prove his point. In the end I would think he would report.

both sound plausible

Boone is definitely worth money since he's a pretty good LT. On the Niners, he's definitely earned a raise and is extremely valuable. 3 starting caliber tackles on one team is nuts.
boone as no leverage at all .hes not goin to sit out for 2 years .he will be ready come game time.if he has another good year the niners will be able to use him as trade bait as i doubt they will re sign him and boone
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Originally posted by barrymartin:

Sound plausible?

both sound plausible

Boone is definitely worth money since he's a pretty good LT. On the Niners, he's definitely earned a raise and is extremely valuable. 3 starting caliber tackles on one team is nuts.
Someone will give him twice the money he will make with the niners. His agent knows that and so does he. Not sure how this hardball game is going to work out. Would he really sit for a whole year and lose everything. If he is really that discontented I would look around and see what someone will give for him. If someone steps up in training camp at right guard and back up tackle and they can get a 3rd, he might be gone.
Originally posted by crake49:
I have a bad feeling we've seen the last of Boone. Too bad, but they're very strong and deep on the O-line. Looney is probably just as effective. I like Boone a lot, but with Thomas coming along and Looney showing what he did last year while he was in, Boone simply doesn't have a lot of leverage here. Plus, everyone knows Baalke is a hard a$$. I just don't see this turning out well for Boone unless his goal is to play for another team.

I'm sure that's the play. He was a PS guy and now he's so good that they put him at guard just to have him on the field. He'll go to another team as a LT.
Did all this start w/Boone before or after the draft?

If after - Boone or his agents may have felt the handwriting was on the wall for him and the FO was looking to replace him???

Just a guess.
Share 49ersWebzone