There are 176 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Looney & Martin (Johnathan) suck. So does Kilgore. Marcus Martin will probably start at center.

And Iupati's contract will be twice what Boone makes now, but you said he's get twice the contract Boone wants. And he wants to be paid like a pro bowl caliber guard (which he is).

Looney did well when he filled in during last season. The team is high on Kilgore. And I wouldn't be too sure that Jonathan Martin "sucks." He was a first round talent who was in what we now know was a horrible situation. It's an emotional game. Bill Walsh spent a lot of energy making sure his players were emotionally healthy. He understood the importance of the mental side of things. These days, the Niners brass don't allow hazing or anything like that just as Walsh didn't. I'm going to wait and see with Jonathan Martin because a change of scenery into a healthy environment could be just what an intelligent guy like him needs to perform at a high level.
Alex Boone Haiku:

Boone is holding out
Rhinoceros must be paid
Will block for cheddar

Thank you, don't forget to tip your waitress.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Iupati still living off his draft status

[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Jun 17, 2014 at 5:21 PM ]
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/6/17/5818764/greg-roman-talks-joe-looney-alex-boone-minicamp-holdout

Don't sit too long Boone! LOL!
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Alex Boone Haiku:

Boone is holding out
Rhinoceros must be paid
Will block for cheddar

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/6/17/5818764/greg-roman-talks-joe-looney-alex-boone-minicamp-holdout

Don't sit too long Boone! LOL!

Why not? Boone doesn't exactly need the practice. Looney does! Sit as long as you want Booney!

Week 1 is a practice game anyway (Cowboys).
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Jun 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Alex Boone Haiku:

Boone is holding out
Rhinoceros must be paid
Will block for cheddar

It was.... beautiful...
Boone will come to the team in shape and ready to play.

He's come too far as a person and a player not to.

As far as the loot goes I think he's our second best lineman and I'm sure things will get worked out.
f**kin barney gumble our team helped you to turn your life around and this is how you repay us!
What sucks about Boone's holdout is that the 49ers might have been willing to extend him, but now that it is actually a holdout, if they extend him it will look like they have capitulated to his holdout.

Even the appearance of capitulation can open the flood gates for every other player on the team holding out. So the 49ers are in a tough spot with him.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
What sucks about Boone's holdout is that the 49ers might have been willing to extend him, but now that it is actually a holdout, if they extend him it will look like they have capitulated to his holdout.

Even the appearance of capitulation can open the flood gates for every other player on the team holding out. So the 49ers are in a tough spot with him.

I think what needs to happen is the team needs 2 talk to his agents, agree on a contract but tell him he needs to come back in good faith for a couple weeks & then sign the extension when the news calms down.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

I think what needs to happen is the team needs 2 talk to his agents, agree on a contract but tell him he needs to come back in good faith for a couple weeks & then sign the extension when the news calms down.

You could also deal with Boone and not Vernon. Boone is at least legit under paid. Vernon has just decided he is worth more than the rate for his position because someobody else on a whole other team who is used in a completely different way is going for bigger money as well.
I say play hardball with Boone. Tell him his contract is what it is. Whether he wants to play or not is his decision, not the 49ers decision. If he holds out, so be it. If Boone is not willing to work through the proper channels, then perhaps he isn't deserving of a new deal at all. Don't trade him. If he waits too long and is successfully replaced by Looney or Kilgore, then don't give him his starting job back and let him rot away on the bench for two years.

Otherwise you open up a pandora's box of potential problems with other contracts, including Staley's contract. It's not worth it.
[ Edited by Wisconsin49erfan on Jun 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM ]
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
I say play hardball with Boone. Tell him his contract is what it is. Whether he wants to play or not is his decision, not the 49ers decision. If he holds out, so be it. If Boone is not willing to work through the proper channels, then perhaps he isn't deserving of a new deal at all. Don't trade him. If he waits too long and is successfully replaced by Looney or Kilgore, then don't give him his starting job back and let him rot away on the bench for two years.

Otherwise you open up a pandora's box of potential problems with other contracts, including Staley's contract. It's not worth it.

This
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:

Don't know what he's asking for, but he's certainly worth much more than he's making now. He's a near pro-bowl level guard imo AND he's our most versatile lineman, as the primary backup at both tackle spots. I'm sure there's a fair deal that won't mess up our ability to retain other guys, or make a team-player guy like Staley turn his head. I'd much rather keep Boone than Iupati, since I imagine Iupati will command a much higher salary on the FA market.

I do agree though that our emerging depth makes this situation a lot less critical than it might otherwise be.
This should be renamed the Alex Boone spoiled b**ch thread. Latest is he's not reporting to TC until a new deal but it first appeared on PFT & nfl.com so you know them and their "sources." Wouldn't be surprised if accurate though, so get your butt ready Joe Looney.