LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Lol when Iupati leaves and signs some lucrative deal through FA I am almost willing to bet it is twice the size of Boone's contract.
He is one of the best guards in the NFC on one of the best offensive lines.
If he wants to hold out, go ahead. We've got Looney/Martin and next year we can throw Thomas in the mix

In my opinion Boone is a better overall player than Iupati.

Iupati may be a better run blocker (Boone is still very, very good), but Iupati is a huge liability in pass protection, where Boone is excellent.
Boone is much better than Iupati. Iupati still living off his draft status and the fact that most people simply don't pay attention to O-Linemen, especially interior guys. But San Fran is an amazing run blocking team and oh yeah, we got that big Polynesian dude that was a 1st rounder... he's gotta be a Pro-Bowler, right?
All these veterans are trying to secure their future by holding out and asking for a new contract. WHY?? I know WHY.. They believed the front office are trying to go younger and cheaper, look who we drafted the past two years. Vance McDonald, possibly V.Davis's replacement, Brandon Thomas is possibly M.Iupati's replacement, M.Latimore & C.Hyde definitely will replace Gore, J.Looney or M.Martin will replace A.Boone.

My point is, MAYBE the veterans feels threatened by the younger players potential to replace them. Meaning the younger players are gaining grounds with their improvements. Maybe they(vets) know something that we don't, like the young players are playing at the same level as them or better. So they holdout and try to ask for more money before their time is up and get replaced.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I also think he realizes (lots of optimism here) that we are the team who took a chance on him, bringing him in as an UDFA with his off the field issues was a huge gamble for us that paid off.

When did signing an undrafted free agent become a huge gamble?

Boone did the work required to become a starting guard.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
All these veterans are trying to secure their future by holding out and asking for a new contract. WHY?? I know WHY.. They believed the front office are trying to go younger and cheaper, look who we drafted the past two years. Vance McDonald, possibly V.Davis's replacement, Brandon Thomas is possibly M.Iupati's replacement, M.Latimore & C.Hyde definitely will replace Gore, J.Looney or M.Martin will replace A.Boone.

My point is, MAYBE the veterans feels threatened by the younger players potential to replace them. Meaning the younger players are gaining grounds with their improvements. Maybe they(vets) know something that we don't, like the young players are playing at the same level as them or better. So they holdout and try to ask for more money before their time is up and get replaced.

If veterans feel threatened by younger players, I would think that the last thing they would want to do would be to make it harder for the club to keep them.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Looney & Martin (Johnathan) suck. So does Kilgore. Marcus Martin will probably start at center.

And Iupati's contract will be twice what Boone makes now, but you said he's get twice the contract Boone wants. And he wants to be paid like a pro bowl caliber guard (which he is).

Looney did well when he filled in during last season. The team is high on Kilgore. And I wouldn't be too sure that Jonathan Martin "sucks." He was a first round talent who was in what we now know was a horrible situation. It's an emotional game. Bill Walsh spent a lot of energy making sure his players were emotionally healthy. He understood the importance of the mental side of things. These days, the Niners brass don't allow hazing or anything like that just as Walsh didn't. I'm going to wait and see with Jonathan Martin because a change of scenery into a healthy environment could be just what an intelligent guy like him needs to perform at a high level.
Alex Boone Haiku:

Boone is holding out
Rhinoceros must be paid
Will block for cheddar

Thank you, don't forget to tip your waitress.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Iupati still living off his draft status

[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Jun 17, 2014 at 5:21 PM ]
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/6/17/5818764/greg-roman-talks-joe-looney-alex-boone-minicamp-holdout

Don't sit too long Boone! LOL!
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Alex Boone Haiku:

Boone is holding out
Rhinoceros must be paid
Will block for cheddar

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/6/17/5818764/greg-roman-talks-joe-looney-alex-boone-minicamp-holdout

Don't sit too long Boone! LOL!

Why not? Boone doesn't exactly need the practice. Looney does! Sit as long as you want Booney!

Week 1 is a practice game anyway (Cowboys).
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Jun 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM ]

Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Alex Boone Haiku:

Boone is holding out
Rhinoceros must be paid
Will block for cheddar

It was.... beautiful...
Boone will come to the team in shape and ready to play.

He's come too far as a person and a player not to.

As far as the loot goes I think he's our second best lineman and I'm sure things will get worked out.
f**kin barney gumble our team helped you to turn your life around and this is how you repay us!
What sucks about Boone's holdout is that the 49ers might have been willing to extend him, but now that it is actually a holdout, if they extend him it will look like they have capitulated to his holdout.

Even the appearance of capitulation can open the flood gates for every other player on the team holding out. So the 49ers are in a tough spot with him.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
What sucks about Boone's holdout is that the 49ers might have been willing to extend him, but now that it is actually a holdout, if they extend him it will look like they have capitulated to his holdout.

Even the appearance of capitulation can open the flood gates for every other player on the team holding out. So the 49ers are in a tough spot with him.

I think what needs to happen is the team needs 2 talk to his agents, agree on a contract but tell him he needs to come back in good faith for a couple weeks & then sign the extension when the news calms down.
Share 49ersWebzone