LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by thl408:
There simply aren't many, if any, ZBS linemen that are 6'8". It's hard to get that tall of a frame changing directions and accelerating. It's not blocking the DL that I'm worried about, it's when Boones moves to the second level to block quicker LBs. I think a move to RT will help to mask some deficiencies for the reasons you stated.

This is the play I'll be using to show Outside Zone (Concepts thread). The play succeeds despite Boone's whiff on the LB. Being a lumbering behemoth has it's advantages when in close quarters, but when hunting down LBs, it can be a disadvantage. Every outside zone run I saw from the 49ers last season went to the left side of the Oline towards Staley. I either missed the few times they ran Outside Zone right, or it didn't happen.

Excellent analysis.

The best blocks on this play look like Vance and Anquan.
  • thl408
Originally posted by crake49:

Easily Vance has the best block on this play as he combo blocks with Staley then moves to the second level to pick up the playside LB. Iupati whiffs his block, but did enough to get in the way. MMartin also had a nice block as he is able to pivot around to wall off the NT.

This can't be right...
I thought Vance McDonald was a bust? Since when is he making plays?

But in all seriousness, I came into this thread to proclaim my forgiveness to Boone IF and ONLY IF he realizes that he has a shot at starting at two different positions on our line and comes back motivated. We need some vet leaders to step up right now, and if Boone were to end this little "hiatus" he is taking I bet it would speak volumes to the current young players.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 9moon:
yep, laugh and keep on luaghing... just as you did when I first posted (last year) that JH will not be back for the 49ers..

... and don't be surprise if we Staley gets the "take a paycut of else" next year...

OH yeah I'm sure you were the 1st and only person to post the Harbs was gonna be gone lol....it was pretty well publicized dude.

Staley was the 4th overall rated LT according to PFF last season and is the 14th highest paid LT currently...SF is getting a great deal for him.

Remember this is 9moon, he doesnt do his research, and is a troll.

I'm sorry Phil, but is Staley your Uncle??

I don't mean to offend you or his followers, but I just think (MY OPINION ONCE AGAIN) that HE'S OVER RATED...

do you like every players we have on the team???? ?

if Staley was Top 10 last year, (i'm not sure if you all meant, Top 10 OL or Top 10 OT) I saw lots of bad plays for him that lead me to believe that he's OVERRATED...

and what RESEARCH do I need when it comes to players?? STATS??

u gotta be kidding me, right??? that last thing I look at are the stats all over the papers...

i'm more of a watch kinda guy, same way as to how I know that Joe Montana is the best QB ever... regardless of what Brady's Mannings and Marino's stats are..
So Pears is starting at RT for camp...
Originally posted by thl408:
Easily Vance has the best block on this play as he combo blocks with Staley then moves to the second level to pick up the playside LB. Iupati whiffs his block, but did enough to get in the way. MMartin also had a nice block as he is able to pivot around to wall off the NT.

Agreed.
Excluding Vance the best block to me was MMartin. He got low, re-directed his target, and did not get pushed back. All moves I expect to see from a veteran player (wasn't that Martin's 4-5th game?)
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Lol you can find bad plays on everyone...I'm really not sold that you're a 49er fan

Sus tried to be a Raiders fan but was turned away so now he's here making endless passive aggressive comments about the 49ers, hoping that he can find his place in the Black Hole someday.

this
must be some sort of a queer raiders initiation thing

Lol once again the front office supporters can't keep the convo about the team.

So saying Staley is a good LT means they support the FO?

Stats and Pro Browls state he is a very good LT....
The LAST thing a poster like 9moon looks at are stats! After all, what do numbers really mean anyway, especially when up against something as dependable as 9moon's opinion.

Overrated? Okay, but if you think that, you need to understand that you're not just disagreeing with Niner fans on this. Staley has been named all-NFL tackle, second team four times by Associated Press and Football Writers Assoc. In 2013, he was named 1st team all NFL by Pro Football Writers Association.

What do they know, right 9moon?

I don't mean to offend you or his followers, but I just think (MY OPINION ONCE AGAIN) that HE'S OVER RATED...

if Staley was Top 10 last year, (i'm not sure if you all meant, Top 10 OL or Top 10 OT) I saw lots of bad plays for him that lead me to believe that he's OVERRATED...

u gotta be kidding me, right??? that last thing I look at are the stats all over the papers...

i'm more of a watch kinda guy, same way as to how I know that Joe Montana is the best QB ever... regardless of what Brady's Mannings and Marino's stats are..

9moon...
Staley allows 4.5 sacks last season.
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=8282

Out of the 52 we allowed, the guy who started the most on our offensive line accounted for less than 12% of those sacks.
Staley is not the problem
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
once again, PRO BOWLS has meant ZIPPPPPP since the days of Joe Montana and Joe Theismann..

once again, PRO BOWLS has meant ZIPPPPPP since the days of Joe Montana and Joe Theismann..

Right. As Ronald Reagan famously said, 'facts are stupid things.' Okay, how about the 4.5 sacks yielded last year, the least of any starter?

And, I hate to brake it to you, but I didn't post Pro Bowl info. It was All NFL second team four times and All NFL first team once. Memo to 9Moon - that's not the pro bowl.
[ Edited by crake49 on Jun 9, 2015 at 12:04 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
The LAST thing a poster like 9moon looks at are stats! After all, what do numbers really mean anyway, especially when up against something as dependable as 9moon's opinion.

Overrated? Okay, but if you think that, you need to understand that you're not just disagreeing with Niner fans on this. Staley has been named all-NFL tackle, second team four times by Associated Press and Football Writers Assoc. In 2013, he was named 1st team all NFL by Pro Football Writers Association.

What do they know, right 9moon?

he was NAMED ALL NFL TACKLE in 2013!!!!

2013!!

do you know how great David Aker was in 2011???

do you know how BAD David Aker was in 2012???

in 2013, Staley was one of the finest OL in the game... but last year, the guy declined... again, i can careless what the stats say, but last year, I saw a guy in Staley who just was not the same.

he didn't deserve the accolades that he received from last year... OVERRATED!!
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

Right. As Ronald Reagan famously said, 'facts are stupid things.' Okay, how about the 4.5 sacks yielded last year, the least of any starter?

And, I hate to brake it to you, but I didn't post Pro Bowl info. It was All NFL second team four times and All NFL first team once. Memo to 9Moon - that's not the pro bowl.

... and I hate to CRAKE it to you,

i did not post PRO BOWL INFO response TO YOU, it was to NY...

duhhhhhh!!!!
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
yep, laugh and keep on luaghing... just as you did when I first posted (last year) that JH will not be back for the 49ers..

... and don't be surprise if we Staley gets the "take a paycut of else" next year...

OH yeah I'm sure you were the 1st and only person to post the Harbs was gonna be gone lol....it was pretty well publicized dude.

Staley was the 4th overall rated LT according to PFF last season and is the 14th highest paid LT currently...SF is getting a great deal for him.

Remember this is 9moon, he doesnt do his research, and is a troll.

You dont mean to offend someone yet you take a shot at them? Proof of another backwards statement from 9moon.

Your "eye" for football has been proven to be so good in the past, right? Im sure youll bring up some argumentative point to back this one up from 2008 or something.

Left Tackles typically have bad plays here and there, considering they go against many of the best athletes on the field, the DE/OLB. They are ususally only noticed for what they do wrong versus what they do right. So tell me about all of these terrible plays from Staley? Because PFF, which watches EVERY play from a season, grades him pretty well. Plus I thought he played pretty damn well considering all the dysfunction around him and having possibly one of the most overrated LG's in the game next to him.

I dont like every player on the team, but I dont outright hate on 90% of the players on the team and make outlandish statements based on fiction to push my own doom and gloom narrative of the team.

When a players CONSISTENTLY grades out as a top 10 player at their position I tend to notice, idk if you watch or not? Maybe you just pay attention to the bad plays and highlights, which tend to be the case with Olinemen. Stats do in fact only tell part of the story, but that when added with watching them play tell the entire story, Staley is a VERY good offensive linemen.

Research? maybe seeing he is paid like a middle of the pack LT, yet makes probowls. Thats what we call fact checking before we say we overpay them. I do agree watching is very necesary for some players such as Gore because a lot of what he does wont be in a stat line. But I am talking about research based on factual information such as players salaries in relation to the league average or simple quotes and things of that nature. Fact checking is what us intellectuals do when making points.
Really??? Staley overrated???? Do you people watch 49ers games??? Maybe he didn't have his best season but he's still a top 5 OT in this league and I guess someone you won't appreciate until he's gone. Remember Kap wasn't the easiest QB to block for last year but I guess that doesn't matter to some of you. Wow, people will complain or make a problem with just about anyone. You have the right to your opinions even though your wrong.
Share 49ersWebzone