There are 138 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Staley is overrated..

Lol

Lol you can find bad plays on everyone...I'm really not sold that you're a 49er fan
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Lol you can find bad plays on everyone...I'm really not sold that you're a 49er fan

Sus tried to be a Raiders fan but was turned away so now he's here making endless passive aggressive comments about the 49ers, hoping that he can find his place in the Black Hole someday.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Sus tried to be a Raiders fan but was turned away so now he's here making endless passive aggressive comments about the 49ers, hoping that he can find his place in the Black Hole someday.

this
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Staley is overrated..

Lol

Yeah and that move by ware was something perfect. Totally faked him out. Stuff like that happens.
yep, laugh and keep on luaghing... just as you did when I first posted (last year) that JH will not be back for the 49ers..

... and don't be surprise if we Staley gets the "take a paycut of else" next year...

OH yeah I'm sure you were the 1st and only person to post the Harbs was gonna be gone lol....it was pretty well publicized dude.

Staley was the 4th overall rated LT according to PFF last season and is the 14th highest paid LT currently...SF is getting a great deal for him.

Remember this is 9moon, he doesnt do his research, and is a troll.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
yep, laugh and keep on luaghing... just as you did when I first posted (last year) that JH will not be back for the 49ers..

... and don't be surprise if we Staley gets the "take a paycut of else" next year...

OH yeah I'm sure you were the 1st and only person to post the Harbs was gonna be gone lol....it was pretty well publicized dude.

Staley was the 4th overall rated LT according to PFF last season and is the 14th highest paid LT currently...SF is getting a great deal for him.

Remember this is 9moon, he doesnt do his research, and is a troll.

+1
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

this
must be some sort of a queer raiders initiation thing

Take a pay cut? We already have him on a team friendly deal and he's been under paid the last few years. He's a top 10 LT... Who do you have in mind to replace him? Your just talking non sense now.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by cciowa:

this

Lol once again the front office supporters can't keep the convo about the team.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

this

once again sus posts some silly piece of cherry picked video that is designed only to get a rise out of people,, he gets called on it and now he screams he is the victim

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

this

once again sus posts some silly piece of cherry picked video that is designed only to get a rise out of people,, he gets called on it and now he screams he is the victim

it's not about me it about the team, the team, the team !!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erguy:
LT - Joe Staley
LG - Marcus Martin/Brandon Thomas
C - Daniel Kilgore
RG - Brandon Thomas/Marcus Martin
RT - Alex Boone

Whats the problem?

I like this a lot. The best way to get our top 5 talented offensive linemen on the field.

this

it's not about me it about the team, the team, the team !!

Dont feed the troll, this is bait.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Boone should be prepared to work his tail off. Contract year players almost always seem to have great seasons. I'd try to extend him sometime during TC to get a better deal.

Seems like a VERY smart move.

He can also play LT if Staley goes down.

Versatile - both tackle position and RG - that's worth money.

Especially the way injuries can pile up so quickly.
  • thl408
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 49erphan:
Originally posted by 9erguy:
LT - Joe Staley
LG - Marcus Martin/Brandon Thomas
C - Daniel Kilgore
RG - Brandon Thomas/Marcus Martin
RT - Alex Boone

Whats the problem?

The problem is that if they don't give him a long term extension and he plays RT really well, then they may be priced out of keeping him. But... if they give him a long term extension being paid at starting tackle rate right now, it may turn out that he isn't as good at it as it seemed he might be and they'll be stuck paying him much more than he would get otherwise. Or they could try to make him play RT without a change in his contract in which case he may try not to get injured (not play particularly well) for about the first half to two-thirds of the season and then turn it on like crazy in the last half to third of the season to try to get as much of a payday as possible when he hits free agency.

What the 9ers front office does about this probably depends a lot on how they assess his chances of playing RT really well based on what they know about him - which is much more than any of us know.

I agree with this and the conundrum that the 49ers are facing with Boone. If he doesn't sign an extension and plays well as a RT, he may price himself out of the 49ers' price range and go hunting for the highest offer after 2015. Then the 49ers need another RT. If the 49ers extend him now, then he better live up to his new salary as a RT or the 49ers will have signed a bad deal.

I know many have referenced his performance versus Robert Quinn in 2013 as a LT to state that he will play well as Tackle, but I don't remember if he was given much help (chip block, TE help) or if he actually held his own versus Quinn.

True, I think as a runblocker he can be a great RT. The question if he will be able to do the same as a passblocker at RT. I think he can due partially to him being a very good passblocking guard, his length, athleticism, and past experience at the position.

I'm actually much more concerned with him as a run blocker. He hasn't shown the ability to move well laterally or to maintain his pad level when he moves laterally. He's a concern wherever he lines up in a ZBS. At least on the edge he could use his length a bit to compensate for mobility issues.

There simply aren't many, if any, ZBS linemen that are 6'8". It's hard to get that tall of a frame changing directions and accelerating. It's not blocking the DL that I'm worried about, it's when Boones moves to the second level to block quicker LBs. I think a move to RT will help to mask some deficiencies for the reasons you stated.

This is the play I'll be using to show Outside Zone (Concepts thread). The play succeeds despite Boone's whiff on the LB. Being a lumbering behemoth has it's advantages when in close quarters, but when hunting down LBs, it can be a disadvantage. Every outside zone run I saw from the 49ers last season went to the left side of the Oline towards Staley. I either missed the few times they ran Outside Zone right, or it didn't happen.
Share 49ersWebzone