LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
If Boone is a no-show for the minicamp he just may find someone will jump ahead of him on the depth chart. If he thinks staying away will get him where he wants to go, he's mistaken, IMHO. You snooze, you lose. I'd say Looney could be the man to take his place.

it is nice we have alot of options to take a look at in this area. you would think boone would know that but maybe it comes down to what susweet said... he overvalues himself . you sign a contract or you tell your boss you will be at work at a certain hour, you honor that. sorry but that is what i believe in whether you are mowing lawns or playing nfl football
The problem I have with Boone's situation is that I've heard he's underpaid and yet this year, he's roughly a $2.5 mil cap hit with a $2 mil salary and the average cost of an NFL lineman is about $1.8 mil. I'm not sure he's going to get very far with Baalke if those are the raw numbers.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
OK. We disagree.

It is funny, but I stopped going to work at my last job here in Chile. I had a contract and I refused to go to work.

Not only that I also felt that the company still owed me everything in the contract--severance pay and unpaid vacation pay, in particular.

I sued the company for a constructive discharge and won.

I has been two years and I still have not been paid all the money that the court awarded me. I did get my severance pay and vacation pay, but I am still owed around $3,000 dollars, and I am not going to get it.

thank you for explaining this part of your life to me so I can understand totally why you feel the way you do i still disagree but i totally understand and appreciate the fact you believe in what you say . you are a good citizen buck but i still do not understand some of the words you use. my problem not yours
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
The problem I have with Boone's situation is that I've heard he's underpaid and yet this year, he's roughly a $2.5 mil cap hit with a $2 mil salary and the average cost of an NFL lineman is about $1.8 mil. I'm not sure he's going to get very far with Baalke if those are the raw numbers.

and a few of us pay to pay check people get the tunnel vision going and are pissed at him because he is earning a measly two million a year and he is b***hing
Originally posted by cciowa:
and a few of us pay to pay check people get the tunnel vision going and are pissed at him because he is earning a measly two million a year and he is b***hing

The Koch brothers profit $13 million A DAY off of burning fossil fuel, they began their dirty, civilization killing empire with a huge load of inherited money, and I don't see a lot of people b***hing. Although I don't agree with Alex Boone's position, I can't get too worked up about it. IMO, pay to pay check people need to keep their eyes on the ball and understand what the real problem is and who the real enemy is. Hint: it's not Alex Boone.
  • buck
  • Veteran
thank you for explaining this part of your life to me so I can understand totally why you feel the way you do i still disagree but i totally understand and appreciate the fact you believe in what you say . you are a good citizen buck but i still do not understand some of the words you use. my problem not yours

Boone sees like a good guy.

He has decided to hold out, or so it seems.

I do not enough of the details, but I suspect that a hold out is not his best option.

I do not know what he is thinking or what he feels---as far as I know he has not spoken publically about this.

Hopefully, his impending hold out is no more than a minor bump in the road on the way to the play offs.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Boone sees like a good guy.

He has decided to hold out, or so it seems.

I do not enough of the details, but I suspect that a hold out is not his best option.

I do not know what he is thinking or what he feels---as far as I know he has not spoken publically about this.

Hopefully, his impending hold out is no more than a minor bump in the road on the way to the play offs.
that wold be nice! again at least it gives some kids a chance to see what they got. now if this were the head of the rattlesnake(HAHA) then we would have a problem
Boone's salary costs about $2.6 million against the cap. Iupati's salary counts about $4.7 million. Staley's is about a $3.4 million hit to the cap. I think they should offer Boone the same as Iupati's salary this year (which would count about $2 million more against the cap) for four years (including this year) with escalators in for hitting certain goals AND just give Staley an extra $1.3 million so that his salary against the cap would be the same as Iupati's and Boone's.

I know there are a lot of other important parts to a player contract beyond the parts that count against the cap, so it probably isn't that straightforward, but something like that could maybe be a foundation for a deal that would only be about a $3.3 million hit to the cap. You'd have three of the five offensive line starters making pretty much the same amount of money and then A. Davis as more expensive and the center as less.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:

The Koch brothers profit $13 million A DAY off of burning fossil fuel, they began their dirty, civilization killing empire with a huge load of inherited money, and I don't see a lot of people b***hing. Although I don't agree with Alex Boone's position, I can't get too worked up about it. IMO, pay to pay check people need to keep their eyes on the ball and understand what the real problem is and who the real enemy is. Hint: it's not Alex Boone.
haha.. i am pretty republican so your koch brothers thing is funny to me. I am a paycheck to paycheck guy and try to keep my eye on the ball. i know you have your beliefs and thats ok but sometimes i just do not think there is a real enemy, its just the way things are and you deal with it and make the best of life i really do not see any democrats I trust looking out for paycheck to paycheck guys but thats a whole other story for a whole other parking lot thread!!
he signed a contract and now he not honoring that. I am very old fashioned so I think this is just wrong... plus if he thinks this gives him any leverage with this regime,, he is dead wrong. you play chicken with this regime, you are just asking for trouble,,, if he keeps playing this hold out card s**t,,,, he will get it in my opinion.... and just for the record I would be saying the same thing about vernon had it went this far after defending him before but of course it never got that way with him because he is a team player and a pro. send boone to the browns and the nfls graveyard

Teams do not honor every contract and very few, if any, people expect every contract to be honored.

Contracts are renegotiated all of the time. Teams ask players to take less pay than is stipulated in the contract on a regular basis. If the players insist on having the contract honored, the team can cut or trade them.

That dishonoring of a contract by a team is what set the stage for the trade that got us Boldin. The Ravens asked him to take a pay cut and Boldin said no. He felt that contract should be honored and refused to take a pay cut.

A hold out falls within the rights that a player has. Players can withhold their labor.

If Boone opts to hold out, he is responsible for that hold out and the ramifications that come with the hold out.

He could be fined. He could be traded. He could be cut. He could get a new contract.

The contract is between him and the 49ers. If there is a conflict between Boone and the team over his contract, that conflict does not involve me.

As long as teams can break contracts or not honor them, I am not going to base my opinion on a morally deformed judgment that players, and only players, must honor their contracts.

All of this. I want Boone back as much as anyone else, but this idea that players should honor and play for the contract they signed for is ridiculous. Did the 49ers honor Carlos Rogers's contract? They made a decision he wasn't worth what he was paid, so he was released. Alex Boone made the decision that he's worth more than what he's paid. It goes both ways. I just hope Boone is smart enough to realize that while he is underpaid, this is the wrong regime to piss off, and he should wait a year and then he'll get everything that he is due. I'm really grateful Joe Staley isn't upset at this point, but perhaps its because he was given that extension so early in his career (much like how Boone was...ironic).

let him sign elsewhere
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TlSSER:
let him sign elsewhere

Bad time to be asking for a new contract.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
he signed a contract and now he not honoring that. I am very old fashioned so I think this is just wrong... plus if he thinks this gives him any leverage with this regime,, he is dead wrong. you play chicken with this regime, you are just asking for trouble,,, if he keeps playing this hold out card s**t,,,, he will get it in my opinion.... and just for the record I would be saying the same thing about vernon had it went this far after defending him before but of course it never got that way with him because he is a team player and a pro. send boone to the browns and the nfls graveyard

Teams do not honor every contract and very few, if any, people expect every contract to be honored.

Contracts are renegotiated all of the time. Teams ask players to take less pay than is stipulated in the contract on a regular basis. If the players insist on having the contract honored, the team can cut or trade them.

That dishonoring of a contract by a team is what set the stage for the trade that got us Boldin. The Ravens asked him to take a pay cut and Boldin said no. He felt that contract should be honored and refused to take a pay cut.

A hold out falls within the rights that a player has. Players can withhold their labor.

If Boone opts to hold out, he is responsible for that hold out and the ramifications that come with the hold out.

He could be fined. He could be traded. He could be cut. He could get a new contract.

The contract is between him and the 49ers. If there is a conflict between Boone and the team over his contract, that conflict does not involve me.

As long as teams can break contracts or not honor them, I am not going to base my opinion on a morally deformed judgment that players, and only players, must honor their contracts.

All of this. I want Boone back as much as anyone else, but this idea that players should honor and play for the contract they signed for is ridiculous. Did the 49ers honor Carlos Rogers's contract? They made a decision he wasn't worth what he was paid, so he was released. Alex Boone made the decision that he's worth more than what he's paid. It goes both ways. I just hope Boone is smart enough to realize that while he is underpaid, this is the wrong regime to piss off, and he should wait a year and then he'll get everything that he is due. I'm really grateful Joe Staley isn't upset at this point, but perhaps its because he was given that extension so early in his career (much like how Boone was...ironic).
Carlos was realeased and paid all his garunteed money. His contract was honored. People do not seem to understand how contracts are written or what they actually mean and players dont seem to understand the concept of a salary cap or that sometimes a team can't pay them more just because they want it. It isnt like your work, if Boone gets more...somebody else loses their job.

I am pro player as anybody out there....but if you sign the deal, play it out. Nothing pisses me off more than somebody who comes back every year wanting more because someone else got something better. You know who else does that? 2 year olds that see the next kid got a bigger cookie.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by TlSSER:
let him sign elsewhere

Bad time to be asking for a new contract.

couldn't have said it better myself!
I really like Boone and would actually rather have him than Iupati. I also really believe he does deserve a raise. The problem is how he is going about it.

Come to mini camp and OTAs and voice your opinion with the front office. Say you would love to stay with the 49ers and just want an extension. Then you give the front office the impression that you want to be here and will continue to work hard.

By holding out you really lose some negotiating power (in my opinion). If I was a front office I can no longer really work on his contract now since he is holding out because I dont want to set the precedent of this is how you get a new contract. On top of that he really has no negotiating power. The 49ers have a ton of depth and the worst he could do to them was sit out two years. If he does than he will hit the open market two years out of football (which will not go well for his value).

Sitting out is really a lose lose for Boone. The 49ers take care of their own who work hard and perform.
Share 49ersWebzone