LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 298 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
the man was a All Pro in 2012 and 2013

Ya, but, and I may be totally out of wack on this, I don't think he's going to get within the "franchise" range. If he makes top ten, I'd be subtly impressed. Not many teams invest huge money in a huge power run guard that can't passblock very well.
Originally posted by Geeked:

Ya, but, and I may be totally out of wack on this, I don't think he's going to get within the "franchise" range. If he makes top ten, I'd be subtly impressed. Not many teams invest huge money in a huge power run guard that can't passblock very well.

Andy Levitre got a big contract with the Titans. 6 yrs for 46 mill I think. That's like 7.5 a year.

Would rather use that money to lock up Boone long term, since he can play like 3-4 positions.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Andy Levitre got a big contract with the Titans. 6 yrs for 46 mill I think. That's like 7.5 a year.

Would rather use that money to lock up Boone long term, since he can play like 3-4 positions.

At the end of the day, this may be why Boone was ticked. Iupati, for the most part, is a one trick pony. Boone can do a lot more and is more important to the line. Iupati is no Larry Allen, and if you're going to be a big Mauler, Wellpaid, Guard, that's what you have to be. Otherwise, you need to be able to pass block VERY WELL.
Originally posted by Geeked:

At the end of the day, this may be why Boone was ticked. Iupati, for the most part, is a one trick pony. Boone can do a lot more and is more important to the line. Iupati is no Larry Allen, and if you're going to be a big Mauler, Wellpaid, Guard, that's what you have to be. Otherwise, you need to be able to pass block VERY WELL.

Ohh I agree, I think Marcus Martin is better suited for us long term as our future LG.
With Looney and Brandon Thomas in the OL mix, I'd rather see them both on the field over Boone. His holdout didn't help, but I didn't see the same nastiness in him as previous seasons. Maybe a full off-season will bring him back around...having other up & coming talent will increase the competition for starting positions and overall PT. It's up to you, Alex...
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
With Looney and Brandon Thomas in the OL mix, I'd rather see them both on the field over Boone. His holdout didn't help, but I didn't see the same nastiness in him as previous seasons. Maybe a full off-season will bring him back around...having other up & coming talent will increase the competition for starting positions and overall PT. It's up to you, Alex...

Boone has been our best Olinemen the last 4-6 weeks. Grading out very well on PFF, and despite the awful start is ranked like 24th according to their season grades, which I personally trust quite a bit.

Post ankle, he hasn't shown that form
Originally posted by WINiner:
Boone has been our best Olinemen the last 4-6 weeks. Grading out very well on PFF, and despite the awful start is ranked like 24th according to their season grades, which I personally trust quite a bit.

He's made some good run blocks lately, but I still see him standing there and watching pass rushers run by him. I saw at least three of those in the last Seahawk game. If he's graded out as one of the best, that just says more to me about how horrible the O-line play has been this year.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Lets just all wish that everyone comesback and learned from this season...
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I get the Boone to tackle move, but why are so many people convinced that Anthony Davis would make a good guard?

because he's a mauler extraordinaire.

When Davis was at Rutgers I thought he'd make a HOF caliber RG. His footwork is very good but not all pro tackle worthy and he moves well. In a phonebooth, he would be AWESOME.

I'd move Davis to RG, slide Brandon Thomas in at LG, let Looney/Martin/Kilgore fight for C, put Boone at RT and let Iupati walk.

Staley
Thomas
Looney/Martin/Kilgore
Davis
Boone

That is an athletic, very good pass blocking and DOMINANT run blocking offensive line. Step in the right direction.

Originally posted by WINiner:

ABSOLUTELY!

I want to see him play RT or LT. IMO, he's much better at Tackle than at Guard.

If Staley's performance slips than move him to RT and Boone to left.

I recall many in the Zone were trashing and dissing Kilgore before he was hurt saying how Marcus Martin would come in and light it up. NOT!! Kilgore was playing better than any other guy on the line including Staley.

Same thing w/Boone.

I wasn't thrilled w/his holdout but that's yesterday's news.

He's young and could be excellent given a full season at the position.
We never should have gave into this turd! I think it's going to come back and bite us in the offseason. Not sure why we broke or gold rule for this clown.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
We never should have gave into this turd! I think it's going to come back and bite us in the offseason. Not sure why we broke or gold rule for this clown.

I'm glad Boone will be on this team for the next couple of years.
What the
You guys are trashing Boone
This guy is a very good player and who ever says the opposite does not know talent. Im suprised some of you guys know how to use toilet paper correctly
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I get the Boone to tackle move, but why are so many people convinced that Anthony Davis would make a good guard?

because he's a mauler extraordinaire.

When Davis was at Rutgers I thought he'd make a HOF caliber RG. His footwork is very good but not all pro tackle worthy and he moves well. In a phonebooth, he would be AWESOME.

I'd move Davis to RG, slide Brandon Thomas in at LG, let Looney/Martin/Kilgore fight for C, put Boone at RT and let Iupati walk.

Staley
Thomas
Looney/Martin/Kilgore
Davis
Boone

That is an athletic, very good pass blocking and DOMINANT run blocking offensive line. Step in the right direction.

Mike Iupati potential (in terms of being a run blocking guard)? Or do you believe he will be better or slightly worse? I'm pretty certain he'd do better in pass protection. Maybe a new offensive staff will take a stab at the suggested Staley-Thomas-Kilogre-Davis-Boone lineup. As bad as Kap has been this season, I think we'd see a player more like what we saw in his first start with the kind of pass protection this lineup could offer.

One further question however. Is that line athletic enough for us to run some screens? lol

I'd also like to add that I'd actually like to see Alex Boone here longterm. Anytime you can get a guy that has the potential to start at multiple positions, you keep him. After Joe Staley, in terms of longterm value, he may be the most valuable O-lineman. I seriously hope he gets back to his 2012 form or better.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Dec 19, 2014 at 4:43 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone