There are 204 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Potential Guards currently on the roster not named Iupati or Boone: Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney, Ryan Seymour, Adam Snyder, Marcus Martin, Jonathan Martin, Al Netter, Fouimalo Fonoti, Dillon Farrell + Brandon Thomas.

Boones current contract;
2014 Cap Number $2,590,000, Cap Savings If Cut $1,910,000, Dead Money $680,000.
2015 Cap Number $1,790,000, Cap Savings If Cut $1,450,000, Dead Money $340,000

[ Edited by DeUh on Jul 12, 2014 at 10:05 AM ]
Yes I think he just wants to be here but to me this is a fight for next off season. Hell Kap was underpaid last season as well but now he is eligible for a raise
[ Edited by Pillbusta on May 28, 2014 at 5:33 AM ]
this is not good ....holdouts aren't cool ....Rhino needs to get his ass to camp, either he can play for the contract he signed, or he can get paid and be the starting guard in Jacksonville or Miami ....this could blow up in Boones face IMO
Normally I side with the team in these kinds of instances, but it's hard for me to blame him. He has been amazing and is very underpaid. I would like to see a fair deal that pays him starting next year. Hopefully we'll have Kap locked up this year. That would leave us trying to fit Crab, Aldon, and Boone under next year.

I know Staley is underpaid too, but I'd side with the team in that dispute. He was already playing at a high level when he signed his deal and he signed an 8 year deal (IIRC). If you sign that kind of deal, you have to know that you're going to be underpaid on the backside of it.
Kawakami "Alex Boone has successfully managed to be absent from OTAs. That's a fact." JH "Well they are voluntary so there's nothing more I can add to that." TK "Is there a standard? Is 10 no-shows of players who are disgruntled with their contracts the standard?" JH "You must have spent the entire time since our last exchange practicing in front of a mirror just how you would ask that." TK "Well actually you're right Jim. I did this time." JH "Okay I'll answer the question. These OTA's are voluntary so the players are here or they're not. It's always been our policy to not discuss contracts in public. We work with the guys who are here." TK "But with a contract dispute will Alex Boone be on the field when training camp starts?" JH "This time you can stick bamboo shoots under my toenails and I wouldn't be able to add anything further to what's already been said."
I'm wondering....Could his agent see him as a potential starter at tackle and believe that he could get a much more lucrative contract elsewhere as a RT or even more likely a LT who make big bucks. Truth is, he is under-utilized on our O-Line, but where do you play him with Staley and Davis? This could turn out to be an unresolvable issue when his next contract comes due. If we are settled on the future being Staley and Davis then maybe there's a possibility of a whole new approach. This is radical thinking but maybe, if they feel solid at guard and have a good backup tackle at the end of the.. year maybe it's to trade him for a pick? I realize that is risky because he is our best backup and Tackle and could start there indefinitely if Davis or Staley get hurt. Could he be even better than either one of these two? Another consideration.
I think Boone's timing is bad...he's got 2 yrs left on the extension he signed in 2011. He's a starter...he'll get paid. He needs to understand he's only been a starter for 2 seasons. AD and Iupati are 4-yr starters, Staley's been a starter since 2007. Kilgore signed a 3-yr, $4.85M contract extension. Not really sure where Boone (or is it his agent) are coming from at this point.
He took an early contract extension, this is the risk in taking an early contract extension, no reason he should be fighting for a raise. If he wants an extension he should play hard this season and then ask for one next offseason.
I never get upset about guys skipping ota's. just don't skip TC
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Kawakami "Alex Boone has successfully managed to be absent from OTAs. That's a fact." JH "Well they are voluntary so there's nothing more I can add to that." TK "Is there a standard? Is 10 no-shows of players who are disgruntled with their contracts the standard?" JH "You must have spent the entire time since our last exchange practicing in front of a mirror just how you would ask that." TK "Well actually you're right Jim. I did this time." JH "Okay I'll answer the question. These OTA's are voluntary so the players are here or they're not. It's always been our policy to not discuss contracts in public. We work with the guys who are here." TK "But with a contract dispute will Alex Boone be on the field when training camp starts?" JH "This time you can stick bamboo shoots under my toenails and I wouldn't be able to add anything further to what's already been said."

How does this guy still have a press pass? Such a dick.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Damn... you guys are fickle. Don't understand the hate. He's going to show up for training camp and be ready to roll for the season. Great team player and locker room presence. He's dissatisfied with his contract, and he should be. He's outperformed it. That doesn't mean he's s**tting on the team. Guarantee this guy plays his heart out this year, just like he always does.

The team doesn't talk about player contracts in the media. Is it then slightly disrespectful when the player then turns and does?
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I don't blame Boone for wanting a new deal, but he signed the extension back in 2011 I believe, he knew the pay, and potentials. He has a $1.05M escalator for 2015 based on playing time, which would be earned easily if he stays healthy.

On the second hand, I don't think he is showing his teammates any respect by no showing OTAs, while guys like Kap, Aldon, Crabs, Iupati are likely there.

And then it's not a definite he gets extended, at all, maybe we took Martin and Thomas in the hopes of paring them with Kilgore for the LG-C-RG trio in some fashion. But I don't know if he will get extended this year, there is no cap room available, we have less than $2M right now, it wouldn't be tough to make room. But then you run into the problems Pittsburgh and Dallas have faced, restructuring, and facing bad, high dollar cap figures. Bowman was awesome to restructure, but he has a $10M cap hit in 2018, he won't see that. And if he does, then he will still be in his prime, and 100% back from the ACL injury.

Another guy I look at who should get a new deal, actually 2, and they aren't holding out, Joe Staley, and Vernon Davis. Both are keys to our Offensive success.

I pray next year the cap raises higher than the projected $140M that I have heard it to be. Be prepared to lose Crabs, Iupati, maybe Dorsey, and in future, decisions on McDonald, and Boone need to be made in 2015-2016. I expect Vernon would be tagged, not sure the price tag, might be too much though, but he should be a definite re-sign. I'm not sure why the FO didn't extend him in 2012 when he restructured to help get Bowman under contract long term. Same for Willis, he has restructured twice now, and no extension, I don't get it.

If he were a black player we would be hearing a lot more about how disrespectful and greedy he is. He was in the same boat as Aldon when he came into the league. Our organization was the only one to offer him any shot at playing in the NFL. He was an alcoholic that the organization gave an ultimatum: He would remain on the team only if he stayed at the team hotel in Santa Clara. Then he was placed on the practice squad (where any team in the league could have offered him a contract) and was given an opportunity to work his way into the starting line up.

How does he repay the organization that took a chance on him, offered him $5000 per week on the practice squad, and the recently made him a millionaire? By holding out for a bigger contract.

If this were Aldon or any other black player, we would hear the same stuff we heard when Crabtree held out during his rookie year.

I think it is crazy that any of our guys would hold out now when we are so close to a championship, knowing that we are up against the cap. We also don't need anymore negative press. I think this is a really greedy move by a 2-3 year starter with past issues.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:
If he were a black player we would be hearing a lot more about how disrespectful and greedy he is. He was in the same boat as Aldon when he came into the league. Our organization was the only one to offer him any shot at playing in the NFL. He was an alcoholic that the organization gave an ultimatum: He would remain on the team only if he stayed at the team hotel in Santa Clara. Then he was placed on the practice squad (where any team in the league could have offered him a contract) and was given an opportunity to work his way into the starting line up.

How does he repay the organization that took a chance on him, offered him $5000 per week on the practice squad, and the recently made him a millionaire? By holding out for a bigger contract.

If this were Aldon or any other black player, we would hear the same stuff we heard when Crabtree held out during his rookie year.

I think it is crazy that any of our guys would hold out now when we are so close to a championship, knowing that we are up against the cap. We also don't need anymore negative press. I think this is a really greedy move by a 2-3 year starter with past issues.
i can not believe,, well actually i can nowadays,, that race has someone made its way into this story
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:

i can not believe,, well actually i can nowadays,, that race has someone made its way into this story
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

sorry, meant to say somehow. I guess i was just a little stunned about his comments in regards to race
Share 49ersWebzone