LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Joecool:
He already lost most of his money for next year. I think he is committed all in. He ain't reporting back.

He will report dude. Unless he is retiring
He figures we probably waive his fines when he reports. I think we prorate the games he actually misses though if any
UBAISORE--most understand this but see it as a good or bad management situation. The team could make a gesture if they feel he is vital to their plans, but he only has chips on his side if the team does not trust Looney. The team can afford to wait...can Boone? If he extended once already and already wants to renegotiate...at what point does Baalke fold hs hand? If Looney or Staley is injured? Sure...if that happens they may decide it's pragmatic...until then I can see them standing pat.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ubaisore:
All of the speculation in this thread is interesting to read. There are two schools of thought here and it is amazing to watch it polarize...
1) He signed a contract and should honor
2) He has the right to ask for a raise

I think that the NFL is much more complicated than that. Yes he signed a contract. However, that contract could be made null by the team each year. When it was signed, it was while he was going to prove himself. That is a plus for the Niners as they gave him a chance. On the flip side, Boone has been a model player who worked hard to improve himself as a person and a player. Plus for Boone.

The difficult part is that the NFL is a short tenure job and the chance of having a career ending injury is high. I can understand the Niners wanting to conserve cap space, etc but I can also see where he wants to increase his earnings before an injury occurs.

That is why the situation has become what it is. The good news is that it hasn't gone public with either side making grand statements. Hopefully they can reach a middle ground where he feels financially covered and the team can justify the cost. I think it is clear he is being underpaid for his performance. If it was a guaranteed contract, I would be firmly in the "play it out" camp, but with the risk of injury, I do have some understanding of why he is holding out.
The situation is not complex. It is simple. He just has to show up at camp, I bet all it takes to get a deal done is for him to drive up to 4949 Centennial in his Bently and knock on Baalke's door. That's it. Deal for a pay raise will be done shortly there after. Not going to camp does not change the fact that he has zero leverage. It doesn't affect the fact that he can leave after knocking on Baalke's door and never come back. The 49ers cannot physically force him to do anything he doesn't want to do, so where is the harm of showing up to headquarters? It just doesn't make sense for him to stay away unless he simply does not want to play for the 49ers, the guard position, or wants to retire.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
He already lost most of his money for next year. I think he is committed all in. He ain't reporting back.

He will report dude. Unless he is retiring

I think it is a test for our front office. They have been acquiring team first players and making deals that favor the team. Sooner or later, players will start to follow Boone or not make the early dumb deal. This is actually good for our front office because they may need to adjust the way they do things in terms of contracts. I'm sure if Boone comes in and ends up with us, that he and other players will warn younger players to not be hasty when it comes to contract signing.
that he and other players will warn younger players to not be hasty when it comes to contract signing.

lol,...isint this the agent's job?

This is actually good for our front office because they may need to adjust the way they do things in terms of contracts.

Adjust how? Give new contracts every couple years? And you still have yet to answer back on the realization that aiming to be more fair than scrupulous will eventually lead to a lesser-talented team.Is that what you want? A front office that competes less and looks out for players maximizing their earnings more?
[ Edited by random49er on Aug 14, 2014 at 7:17 PM ]
I am a fan of what's best for the team. I was a fan before Boone, and I'll be a fan after Boone.

I believe the stance the 49ers have regarding holdouts is in the best interest of the team, long term.

Giving into holdouts in general is not an option.

Please don't misunderstand, I believe Boone deserves to get his. But to allow him to dictate terms could cause a snowball effect that could send this organization into Browns territory in the future.
I think it is a test for our front office. They have been acquiring team first players and making deals that favor the team. Sooner or later, players will start to follow Boone or not make the early dumb deal. This is actually good for our front office because they may need to adjust the way they do things in terms of contracts. I'm sure if Boone comes in and ends up with us, that he and other players will warn younger players to not be hasty when it comes to contract signing.

Some will some won't. We won't change
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I am a fan of what's best for the team. I was a fan before Boone, and I'll be a fan after Boone.

I believe the stance the 49ers have regarding holdouts is in the best interest of the team, long term.

Please don't misunderstand, I believe Boone deserves to get his. But to allow him to dictate terms could cause a snowball effect that could send this organization into Browns territory in the future.

This!
All of the speculation in this thread is interesting to read. There are two schools of thought here and it is amazing to watch it polarize...
1) He signed a contract and should honor
2) He has the right to ask for a raise

I think that the NFL is much more complicated than that. Yes he signed a contract. However, that contract could be made null by the team each year. When it was signed, it was while he was going to prove himself. That is a plus for the Niners as they gave him a chance. On the flip side, Boone has been a model player who worked hard to improve himself as a person and a player. Plus for Boone.

The difficult part is that the NFL is a short tenure job and the chance of having a career ending injury is high. I can understand the Niners wanting to conserve cap space, etc but I can also see where he wants to increase his earnings before an injury occurs.

That is why the situation has become what it is. The good news is that it hasn't gone public with either side making grand statements. Hopefully they can reach a middle ground where he feels financially covered and the team can justify the cost. I think it is clear he is being underpaid for his performance. If it was a guaranteed contract, I would be firmly in the "play it out" camp, but with the risk of injury, I do have some understanding of why he is holding out.

Part of what you are saying is right.

That is why we offered him a TOP 15 salary extension. He turned it down because it is not EXACTLY what he is worth. OF COURSE it is not exactly what he is worth, but that is not the point.
The point is that Boone CANNOT be paid what he is worth, with two years of leverage on our side. It is pure business logic. I don't want to have to explain why this is. It should be pretty self evident.

It's like you negotiate with a pawn shop. The pawn shop might want to preserve a good reputation. They don't want to completely screw people over, because then news will spread that they are a dishonest pawn shop.
So a customer walks in with some jewelry, he say's, "I'll sell this to you for $100 dollars." The pawn shop owner says, "I can't do that, because I know it is worth a lot more than that, so I'll pay you $2,000 dollars."
Then the customer, realizing the value of the jewelry says, "Well, how about $3,000?"

THAT is exactly what Alex Boone is doing. He was offered a contract, signed it, because it was a LOT more than he was making on his UFA contract. He didn't KNOW that he would become such a good NFL player, so he was glad to sign a contract that is the equivalent for a backup type of player.
But he also outplayed THAT contract too. So now he wants an IMMEDIATE pay raise as a result of outplaying his second contract. The 49ers agreed, so they offered him a VERY reasonable extension. Boone turned down the offer, "I am worth more than that now." YES BOONE, you are worth more than that, but guess what? You didn't KNOW you would be worth that much when you signed your second NFL contract, because of that, the team you are playing for has LEVERAGE on you.
They use this leverage as a way of offering you a nice contract, but still a below market contract. THAT IS HOW IT WORKS BOONE. You knucklehead.
The 49ers were kind enough to acknowledge the fact that you are not worth $100, but rather $2000 dollars, and it is a really PUNK move to demand $3000 dollars, while under contract for two more years.

There will be no capitulation. You will sell the jewelry for $2000 to the fair pawn shop owner, and you will be HAPPY that he acknowledged the fact that you are worth more than $100 dollars, and be GRATEFUL for his offer.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 14, 2014 at 7:42 PM ]

• LVJay
  • Veteran
There will be no more steaks left for him, Lynch is greedy!!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

This!

Well put!
The arguments about what he was offered and dismissed are again based on speculation. While I agree that it is in the best interests of the 49ers to not give in to holdouts (and I think it is a good strategy as well), the points about how it works businesswise are not correct. Sure, we have 2 years leverage on him and there is the chance that he has to make ZERO for those two years. The truth of the matter is that he could be a good starting left tackle in the NFL. That means that while the 49ers could "teach him a lesson", they would be losing some value as well. Again, my point is that there are two sides to this and I don't believe either are 100% correct. (not sure if I made that clear earlier).

Boone (assumption) needs to earn money. The 49ers can definitely use a very good starting guard who also has the capability to slide to tackle and perform well. My hope is that the two sides will talk, do some kind of deal that allows him to come back and sign a deal after so the team isn't giving in to a holdout. I don't see the Niners just signing him to come in and I don't see him playing out his contract as is. Sucks, but that is the reality. I see merit to both sides. If NFL contracts were guaranteed, I would be calling for his head.
The arguments about what he was offered and dismissed are again based on speculation. While I agree that it is in the best interests of the 49ers to not give in to holdouts (and I think it is a good strategy as well), the points about how it works businesswise are not correct. Sure, we have 2 years leverage on him and there is the chance that he has to make ZERO for those two years. The truth of the matter is that he could be a good starting left tackle in the NFL. That means that while the 49ers could "teach him a lesson", they would be losing some value as well. Again, my point is that there are two sides to this and I don't believe either are 100% correct. (not sure if I made that clear earlier).

Boone (assumption) needs to earn money. The 49ers can definitely use a very good starting guard who also has the capability to slide to tackle and perform well. My hope is that the two sides will talk, do some kind of deal that allows him to come back and sign a deal after so the team isn't giving in to a holdout. I don't see the Niners just signing him to come in and I don't see him playing out his contract as is. Sucks, but that is the reality. I see merit to both sides. If NFL contracts were guaranteed, I would be calling for his head.

You make good points. Of course the 49ers stand to lose something also if nothing gets done. Boone is a good player who can play 4/5 positions on the line at a reasonably high level. He deserves more money.

I would rather him sit forever than give in to his demands. The only way I can see a way out of this for both sides is for him to report now with an agreement that they will hash out a deal. If the 49ers do not agree to that, then obviously they do not put as much value on him as we do, or they believe someone already on the roster can fill his role with minimal drop off. They also may have to decide between him and someone else who needs an extension.
Share 49ersWebzone