There are 179 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9erred:
Well with fines approaching 1 million dollars, he will potentially make very little money if he reports before week 8. Week 8 is the drop dead time for him to get into camp and have the year count as a year towards his contract. If he holds out after week 8, the niners have his rights for 2 more years.

Sigh, silly hold out. I say no trade, no new contract, nothing until he reports. The FO cannot set the precedent to cave in.

They won't. Boone is a fool.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Well with fines approaching 1 million dollars, he will potentially make very little money if he reports before week 8. Week 8 is the drop dead time for him to get into camp and have the year count as a year towards his contract. If he holds out after week 8, the niners have his rights for 2 more years.

Sigh, silly hold out. I say no trade, no new contract, nothing until he reports. The FO cannot set the precedent to cave in.

They won't. Boone is a fool.

Boone's approach would work with most teams, but not the 49ers. This is where he and his agents, particularly the latter, greatly miscalculated how serious the 49ers are about not negotiating with holdouts.
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Right but isn't it customary for a player who feels that way to publicly demand a trade? He hasn't done that, probably because he has his head buried up his ass and cannot speak.

It's hard to know. He may be of the impression that demanding a trade would make him less attractive to other GM's and that if he just keeps his public mouth shut, he'll be less likely to be seen as a trouble-maker. Or, he may have been counseled that way by agents. It's possible that agents have talked to other GM's about his performance at left tackle against the Rams last season. If he has ulterior motives to play out the rest of his career at his natural position of tackle, I don't blame him. I'm bitter from the standpoint of a Niner fan, but you don't have to walk to far in his sneakers to see it as a good move for him if he can pull it off.

I believe his perception among GMs is already taking a hit simply by holding out with two years left on his deal. Demanding or asking for a trade may reinforce that perception however IMO it would be minimal.

If I were in his shoes I would prolly feel like a douche for not honoring the agreement that I signed. I realize he's underpaid. But if I were him I would be mad at myself or my agent. He's trying to stick it to the team by trying to force the issue. It's not the teams fault he's underpaid. Boone is not the only player on the team. But he's acting like he is.

I seriously doubt he'll be able to pull off an immediate payday, whether it's with us or someone else. His best course of action would be to get into camp and begin negotiations. There of course are other alternatives; get traded or hold out indefinitely. Those scenarios are less likely and the latter is ultimately self destructive.

Maybe the 49ers had no intention of resigning him. Maybe the writing was on the wall. It wouldn't be inconceivable considering his history of bad judgement.
Id have him just sit. No communication... Just isolate him. Let him waste 2 full years and not play...see what happens then punk
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Id have him just sit. No communication... Just isolate him. Let him waste 2 full years and not play...see what happens then punk

if we can get something for him better believe we will
"something" ??

A little more specific?
Originally posted by random49er:
"something" ??

A little more specific?

Three first rounders

he probably taking up a part time job at mcdonalds somewhere to hold him over, he will be alright
Boone doesn't seem like a dumb guy, but if someone doesn't show him the numbers soon, he stands to lose considerable dough if he holds out much longer and still doesn't get a new deal. Do the math, Alex! It's not rocket science. Where's his agent in all this and isn't it his job to provide some guidance? If he's the one encouraging this holdout, Boone needs to get a new agent!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Maybe the 49ers had no intention of resigning him. Maybe the writing was on the wall. It wouldn't be inconceivable considering his history of bad judgement.

Does Boone really have much of a history of bad judgment?

I know he got busted once and had a problem with alcohol.

What else has he done?

I am pretty sure that Boone solved his problem with alcohol.

This. I see there are a few among us hitting the panic button. We didn't get to be this talented and this deep by panicking. Or more specifically, Baalke didn't get to where he is by panicking. Trent is playing chess here. It's Alex Boone's move.

He was a guy who had he been patient, I'm pretty certain he would've been offered a fair extension in 2015. Either way, I'm over it. If Alex Boone pushes this throughout the season (which I doubt he will), we'll just take another OL to replace him in the draft. Is our O-line hurt by his absence? Absolutely. But our O-line isn't piss poor and we've seen quarterbacks do more with lesser talent. If they can provide him a little time in the pocket, Kaep can potentially shred defenses this year. I'm honestly more concerned about Greg Roman's play calling and our ability to hold up against the better runners in this league while we are low at the NT position than I am about this holdout.
He's losing 1/2 his contact this year holding out through the first game of the season. Genius.

The total: $894,455.

He can be fined another $85,000 if he misses the Sept. 7 regular-season opener at Dallas, per the collective bargaining agreement.

Boone is slated to make $2 million and $1.2 million in base salaries over the next two seasons, as part of a contract extension (4 years, $6.5 million) he signed in December 2011.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/08/14/alex-boones-tab-from-49ers-holdout-900000-in-potential-fines-forfeitures/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29
All of the speculation in this thread is interesting to read. There are two schools of thought here and it is amazing to watch it polarize...
1) He signed a contract and should honor
2) He has the right to ask for a raise

I think that the NFL is much more complicated than that. Yes he signed a contract. However, that contract could be made null by the team each year. When it was signed, it was while he was going to prove himself. That is a plus for the Niners as they gave him a chance. On the flip side, Boone has been a model player who worked hard to improve himself as a person and a player. Plus for Boone.

The difficult part is that the NFL is a short tenure job and the chance of having a career ending injury is high. I can understand the Niners wanting to conserve cap space, etc but I can also see where he wants to increase his earnings before an injury occurs.

That is why the situation has become what it is. The good news is that it hasn't gone public with either side making grand statements. Hopefully they can reach a middle ground where he feels financially covered and the team can justify the cost. I think it is clear he is being underpaid for his performance. If it was a guaranteed contract, I would be firmly in the "play it out" camp, but with the risk of injury, I do have some understanding of why he is holding out.
Originally posted by NCommand:
He's losing 1/2 his contact this year holding out through the first game of the season. Genius.

The total: $894,455.

He can be fined another $85,000 if he misses the Sept. 7 regular-season opener at Dallas, per the collective bargaining agreement.

Boone is slated to make $2 million and $1.2 million in base salaries over the next two seasons, as part of a contract extension (4 years, $6.5 million) he signed in December 2011.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/08/14/alex-boones-tab-from-49ers-holdout-900000-in-potential-fines-forfeitures/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

He already lost most of his money for next year. I think he is committed all in. He ain't reporting back.
I understand why he is holding out but with this team and this GM it is full of fail. He will find out soon.
Share 49ersWebzone