There are 241 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by crake49:
Exactly. He could have told them this any time and they could have responded with a verbal commitment to negotiate with him in good faith. And, there's a track record to support them if they said that - they've done just that in the past. But, he clearly hasn't done this and that's what makes me think he actually WANTS to go to another team for tackle money.

That is a strong possibility
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Boone signed a contract. Period. The 49ers didn't force anything. If he had a shred of confidence in his own abilities he would've/should've signed a one year deal.

So he's holding out because he became a starter while making backup money? With the 49ers track record does anyone honestly believe he would not be extended either this year or next? C'mon. If he told the team he'd show up if they promise to work on a new deal do you think they would say no? He's hurting himself with this crap. He's giving himself the image of a malcontent who doesn't honor his own signature.

This whole situations reeks of bad advice given by an agent.

Exactly. He could have told them this any time and they could have responded with a verbal commitment to negotiate with him in good faith. And, there's a track record to support them if they said that - they've done just that in the past. But, he clearly hasn't done this and that's what makes me think he actually WANTS to go to another team for tackle money.

Right but isn't it customary for a player who feels that way to publicly demand a trade? He hasn't done that, probably because he has his head buried up his ass and cannot speak.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Boone signed a contract. Period. The 49ers didn't force anything. If he had a shred of confidence in his own abilities he would've/should've signed a one year deal.

So he's holding out because he became a starter while making backup money? With the 49ers track record does anyone honestly believe he would not be extended either this year or next? C'mon. If he told the team he'd show up if they promise to work on a new deal do you think they would say no? He's hurting himself with this crap. He's giving himself the image of a malcontent who doesn't honor his own signature.

He is extremely underpaid, that is a fact. I do think the Niners would have extended him at some point this offseason like Joe Staley if he woulda just showed the f**k up.

He is underpaid. But whose fault is that? Not the Niners. This all comes down to "show up and we'll talk".
Originally posted by Joecool:
What I am saying is reup him now for 5 years. He plays for us until he's 32 which will most likely be the best five years he will probably play in the NFL. So, instead of having him for only two years, we have him for 5 on a fair value.

Looks like the front office is very confident in Baalke finding young replacements.

Fair is such a touchy word. Supply and demand should dictate what's fair; we have to leave that up to the market. We cant go out of our way to be fair to each individual player unless we're choosing right here and now to not compete against other teams.

Is this what you would like us to do? Because 31 other teams are trying to squeeze every good snap out of players for the least amount of money possible.

I think we should extend him at a bargain-basement price if the team wants to. We could very well have him for the next couple years and resign him for less; remember you said that he wont demand as much by then?? He can go test the free market for what he feels he deserves, then come back here if he wants. That's as fair as it gets IMO.
What I am saying is reup him now for 5 years. He plays for us until he's 32 which will most likely be the best five years he will probably play in the NFL. So, instead of having him for only two years, we have him for 5 on a fair value.

Looks like the front office is very confident in Baalke finding young replacements.
Replacement Brandon Thomas
Originally posted by AmpLee:

We can talk about re-upping him, when he returns to camp. Also, according to three separate NFL Network reporters, the 49ers offered him an extension last year that would have paid him top 15 G money. I think that's more than a fair place to start negotiating a deal and a good faith effort. Clearly his intention, or that of his agents, is to cash in huge on a mega deal this year. Not gonna happen.

He's better than top 15. Dude has the talent of a top 10 tackle.

lol. I've been one to note that he has great potential to play a high level at tackle, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He may or may not have top ten T talent, but you can't just hand someone a contract as though they do when they've only played there a handful of meaningful snaps. He's not in a great situation to be making demands like being payed as a top ten T. LMFAO.

No, he is not, which is why holding out is one of the very few tactics he can take. I would do the same if I felt I were vastly underpaid.
Originally posted by Joecool: I would do the same if I felt I were vastly underpaid.

Would you be prepared to basically retire if your demands are not met?

Here's the thing: He wasn't even a FA yet. He took an extension to improve on his rookie, and in doing so he guaranteed that he wouldn't be getting that huge second contract that every rookie seems to play for. The less you risk, the less you earn. He could have played out one more year on his rookie deal, and he would've gotten a starter's contract, either from the 49ers or in FA. His choice.

We can talk about re-upping him, when he returns to camp. Also, according to three separate NFL Network reporters, the 49ers offered him an extension last year that would have paid him top 15 G money. I think that's more than a fair place to start negotiating a deal and a good faith effort. Clearly his intention, or that of his agents, is to cash in huge on a mega deal this year. Not gonna happen.

lol. I've been one to note that he has great potential to play a high level at tackle, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He may or may not have top ten T talent, but you can't just hand someone a contract as though they do when they've only played there a handful of meaningful snaps. He's not in a great situation to be making demands like being payed as a top ten T. LMFAO.

No, he is not, which is why holding out is one of the very few tactics he can take. I would do the same if I felt I were vastly underpaid.

You would piss away 1 million dollars in fines, endanger your opportunity as a starting member on a championship caliber team, and sit at home when you could be showcasing your talents for your next payday? Are you Boone's agent?

When that right side plays like softened butter, I'll be loving my new contract. SF doesn't have a backup QB.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 14, 2014 at 3:44 PM ]

You would piss away 1 million dollars in fines, endanger your opportunity as a starting member on a championship caliber team, and sit at home when you could be showcasing your talents for your next payday? Are you Boone's agent?

When that right side plays like softened butter, I'll be loving my new contract. SF doesn't have a backup QB.

I will bet a new Niners hat that Baalke doesn't negotiate with Boone until he reports, and that it will be Boone who caves before Baalke does.

Right but isn't it customary for a player who feels that way to publicly demand a trade? He hasn't done that, probably because he has his head buried up his ass and cannot speak.

It's hard to know. He may be of the impression that demanding a trade would make him less attractive to other GM's and that if he just keeps his public mouth shut, he'll be less likely to be seen as a trouble-maker. Or, he may have been counseled that way by agents. It's possible that agents have talked to other GM's about his performance at left tackle against the Rams last season. If he has ulterior motives to play out the rest of his career at his natural position of tackle, I don't blame him. I'm bitter from the standpoint of a Niner fan, but you don't have to walk to far in his sneakers to see it as a good move for him if he can pull it off.
The right side? Why would Davis be playing like butter? And Looney played better last week than Iupati. And last year against the Rams, Looney played almost every snap and gave up zero QB pressures.

You seem to not understand the little amount of leverage Boone has VS the mountain of leverage the FO has.

Iupati has always been an inconsistent pass blocker.

We run the ball. The runs to the right sucked. Our pass blocking has always been inconsistent, but if our run doesn't work, then we will be exactly what we want every other team to be: one dimensional.

Davis used to have some issues until he got Boone next to him.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM ]
The right side? Why would Davis be playing like butter? And Looney played better last week than Iupati. And last year against the Rams, Looney played almost every snap and gave up zero QB pressures.

You seem to not understand the little amount of leverage Boone has VS the mountain of leverage the team has.

but but but, a bunch of never played or coached football sportswriters said that Looney struggled. They had one whole play, where his pad level was high and he stopped his feet, to reference as evidence! Clearly the offense will be doomed without Alex Boone, whose 6"8" frame has never EVER resulted in high pad level.

And and and, Iupati was drafted in the 1st round, so he couldn't possibly be a slow-footed, lunging pass blocker who often stops his feet to punch in pass pro, causing him to frequently whiff completely on a DT or blitzing LB. If it was even possible for him to miss that badly (it isn't because he was voted to the Pro Bowl, right?), then he would probably be responsible for the single biggest hit that any of our QBs suffered in the game. But that obviously didn't happen, right?
Well with fines approaching 1 million dollars, he will potentially make very little money if he reports before week 8. Week 8 is the drop dead time for him to get into camp and have the year count as a year towards his contract. If he holds out after week 8, the niners have his rights for 2 more years.

Sigh, silly hold out. I say no trade, no new contract, nothing until he reports. The FO cannot set the precedent to cave in.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

You seem to not understand the little amount of leverage Boone has VS the mountain of leverage the team has.

but but but, a bunch of never played or coached football sportswriters said that Looney struggled. They had one whole play, where his pad level was high and he stopped his feet, to reference as evidence! Clearly the offense will be doomed without Alex Boone, whose 6"8" frame has never EVER resulted in high pad level.

And and and, Iupati was drafted in the 1st round, so he couldn't possibly be a slow-footed, lunging pass blocker who often stops his feet to punch in pass pro, causing him to frequently whiff completely on a DT or blitzing LB. If it was even possible for him to miss that badly (it isn't because he was voted to the Pro Bowl, right?), then he would probably be responsible for the single biggest hit that any of our QBs suffered in the game. But that obviously didn't happen, right?

Clearly the problem is that Boone isn't there to make everyone else better.

See, everyone? This guy gets it! What's so hard to understand here?
Share 49ersWebzone