There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 19,264
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Iupati is better than Boone anyway. If it was a choice between Iupati and Boone, I would much prefer Iupati. If Boone is demanding similar money to Iupati....

I'm not so sure. The ability to play the tackle position at a very high level elevates Boone's value. I understand why he wants to get paid more, he's just going about it in a really bad way.

His ability to start at both positions is exactly why a 2nd or 3rd round pick is not enough. He's not a Pro-Bowler at either, but still a top player. That provides a team A LOT of flexibility. If I'm Baalke, a team would have to overpay (a 1st or a 2nd AND 3rd). I doubt any team bites and if they do, great for us and Alex Boone.

I think he's a pro-bowl talent, just gets kind of overshadowed on our line and doesn't play his strongest position which is tackle.

To me, 2 years with a top 15 G (or better) that can back-up tackle better than anyone in the league, at about 2 mil/year (during a Superbowl run no less), plus a 3rd or 4th round compensatory selection for when he leaves and signs a big contract elsewhere, is far more valuable than a day two pick in next year's draft. Teams need to start with a first rounder before I even listen, if I'm Baalke. And even then, it's got to be even higher than that to break precedent and give in to the demands of a player holding out. In short, nothing short of a king's ransom would pry us away from Boone. He's just too valuable, with too much at stake, and a decision that will likely impact the way potential hold-outs operate with this FO.

The media is crazy if they think trading him away for a third rounder is a win-win. That would be a massive loss for us.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Jason Cole ‏@JasonPhilCole

Bucs & NYG, 5-6 teams to be potential players in any Boone trade. 49ers could land Day 2 pick?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2158930-insider-buzz-nyg-and-tb-frontrunners-for-boone-trade-raiders-eyeing-la-stadium

Baalke would be a fool if he traded Boone for anything less than a mid to high 2nd round pick and a 3rd or 4th the following season depending on playing time.

This. One pick isn't enough. Under normal circumstances, it might be fair. But considering the guy can start at two positions and he's a holdout? The price should be steep.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
The media is crazy if they think trading him away for a third rounder is a win-win. That would be a massive loss for us.

If the Niners re-signed Iupati I think it'd be a long-term win / short-term loss.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Aug 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Iupati is better than Boone anyway. If it was a choice between Iupati and Boone, I would much prefer Iupati. If Boone is demanding similar money to Iupati....

I'm not so sure. The ability to play the tackle position at a very high level elevates Boone's value. I understand why he wants to get paid more, he's just going about it in a really bad way.

His ability to start at both positions is exactly why a 2nd or 3rd round pick is not enough. He's not a Pro-Bowler at either, but still a top player. That provides a team A LOT of flexibility. If I'm Baalke, a team would have to overpay (a 1st or a 2nd AND 3rd). I doubt any team bites and if they do, great for us and Alex Boone.

I think he's a pro-bowl talent, just gets kind of overshadowed on our line and doesn't play his strongest position which is tackle.

To me, 2 years with a top 15 G (or better) that can back-up tackle better than anyone in the league, at about 2 mil/year (during a Superbowl run no less), plus a 3rd or 4th round compensatory selection for when he leaves and signs a big contract elsewhere, is far more valuable than a day two pick in next year's draft. Teams need to start with a first rounder before I even listen, if I'm Baalke. And even then, it's got to be even higher than that to break precedent and give in to the demands of a player holding out. In short, nothing short of a king's ransom would pry us away from Boone. He's just too valuable, with too much at stake, and a decision that will likely impact the way potential hold-outs operate with this FO.

The media is crazy if they think trading him away for a third rounder is a win-win. That would be a massive loss for us.

All of this. Except the part about him being a Pro-Bowler. You can be a very good player without being a Pro-Bowler. Ray McDonald is an example.

Another thing to consider is this, people need to stop looking at Alex Boone as an UDFA so any compensation is a plus. It's not a plus. The guy had top tier talent coming into the league and messed it up for himself. Doug Baldwin went undrafted. Does anyone think Seattle could give him up for a 6th at this point?

The idea of a 2nd and 3rd or a first a minimum seems fair because frankly, you aren't finding that many starting quality tackles in the draft. Add in the fact that the guy can start at guard and yes, that king's ransom sounds very reasonable.
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 19,264
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
The media is crazy if they think trading him away for a third rounder is a win-win. That would be a massive loss for us.

If the Niners re-signed Iupati I think it'd be a long-term win / short-term loss.

Honestly, I'd rather re-sign Boone. His value is in his versatility to play back-up T at a very high level and play G nearly as good as Iupati. Even then, two years of Boone at a reasonable salary and a high compensatory selection trumps a mid-round pick in next years draft 100x over, regardless of re-signing Iupati or not. Not too mention there is a huge long-term loss if an agent and hold-out get what they want out of holding out. That just can't be overstated.
[ Edited by AmpLee on Aug 11, 2014 at 11:18 AM ]
In my opinion, the 49ers should ask for a 1st, or a 2nd and 3rd. Anything less and it's not worth it.
At this point, my prediction is that they won't be able to retain Boone this year and they'll be out-bid for Iupati next year. I know that's not what most fans want, but that's my prediction. With Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas coming on, it looks like Baalke has been trying to prepare for that anyway.
It looks like Snyder is back out there and his injury was minor. I know that's not a huge deal, but it's something positive.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This. One pick isn't enough. Under normal circumstances, it might be fair. But considering the guy can start at two positions and he's a holdout? The price should be steep.

In addition we are to trade this talent on THIS contract! 2 years $4million! Man somebody has to take Baalke off his feet! Baalke does deals that make OUR team better, not others. We have absolutely NO reason to help NYG become a better team because Boone is throwing a tantrum unless they give us multiple pieces of day 2 ammo. I would rather let Boone stay where he is!
Originally posted by crake49:
At this point, my prediction is that they won't be able to retain Boone this year and they'll be out-bid for Iupati next year. I know that's not what most fans want, but that's my prediction. With Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas coming on, it looks like Baalke has been trying to prepare for that anyway.
We got Boone for three seasons if we so please. 2014 2015 and we can franchise him ....... At G pay for 2016 if we choose. Boone has NO leverage here
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 11, 2014 at 11:45 AM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This. One pick isn't enough. Under normal circumstances, it might be fair. But considering the guy can start at two positions and he's a holdout? The price should be steep.

In addition we are to trade this talent on THIS contract! 2 years $4million! Man somebody has to take Baalke off his feet! Baalke does deals that make OUR team better, not others. We have absolutely NO reason to help NYG become a better team because Boone is throwing a tantrum unless they give us multiple pieces of day 2 ammo. I would rather let Boone stay where he is!

100% agree.
Originally posted by daragon:
In my opinion, the 49ers should ask for a 1st, or a 2nd and 3rd. Anything less and it's not worth it.

I think a 2nd with a conditional 1st if he makes the pro-bowl would be nice.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,477
How much is he getting fined? He is going to lose half of his salary by the time camp is out. lol.
Originally posted by pd24:
How much is he getting fined? He is going to lose half of his salary by the time camp is out. lol.

If we resign him I guarantee we will drop all fines.
If Looney doesn't pan out, then Balke will have no choice than to cave in and give Boone a new deal. I'm sure Boone is reading the daily reports and seeing the issues on the OL and probably just waiting for the new contract. If that is the case, then Boone sort of has the leverage right? I mean if Looney doesn't pan out, there is no way I don't think the niners go into week 1 with Looney on the line. Is there anyone else aside from Looney they can plug in?

I guess I'm just saying the stance on new contracts that Balke takes may not work here.
[ Edited by Baldie on Aug 11, 2014 at 2:25 PM ]