LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
IMO, not difficult at all.

Last year when Staley went down Boone did an excellent job shutting down Quinn of he Rams - he was leading in sacks.

He, IMO, is a keeper and could slide over to RT and do an outstanding job in both run & pass protection.

lol you are neglecting the headcase issues. The ones he had in college which caused him to slide,...as well as the ones he is showing now with 2 years left on a deal.

What teams are banging our door away to give up a 1st or 2nd rounder for a guy that may very well screw up there and/or not finish the deal?

Long hold-outs with 1 year left look realistic as the threat is the next year. What is the threat to us now? That he'll retire if he doesnt get a new deal? And if we're competing against retirement,...why again would new teams be so thrilled to give him money and give up picks for him?

What are teams gaining with a deal? If it is his rights for 2 years,...then that spells lesser deal than a FA on the market. In other words, there is no reason to trade for him if you're not going to either get him to play out the contract or sign him for less than he feels he's worth.

Which puts him right back here with us.

I really don't think it's head-case issues. This situation has ZERO to do w/alcohol.

Boone does deserve a new deal AND I'm not defending how he's going about it.

IMO, there are a number of scenarios ALL of which favor us.

In the end, I think he'll be back in the fold and this will totally be yesterday's news.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Kinda a dumb move, but the numbers weren't right for him and quite honest doesn't look fair, 2 years left on his contract that will amount to something like only 4 million. When he signed his contract it was for back up money, I think he wasn't getting the attention he deserved and decided to hold out.

He signed the contract. He knew he might be more than a backup when the deal was up, but he signed to get the sure thing immediately. Less risk, less reward. That's life moving west. I don't feel bad for him. He could have chosen to sack up, pull a Flacco, and bet on himself. He chose security over maximum earning potential, and now he regrets his decision. That's his mistake. He's still under contract.

I agree 100% - if these guys were so sure of betting on themselves Boone could have easily included an incentive clause or two in his contract about playing time, etc. But in exchange, the 49ers would have likely given him less guaranteed money back then. He made the choice and now regrets it.

CONVERSELY, the 49ers have made it clear they don't renegotiate contracts unless someone is working hard and living up to their end. It wouldn't surprise me one bit of by October the 49ers haven't reworked VDs deal and rewarded him for showing up and performing.

SO now the trick, both sides need to save face. How do the 49ers convince Boone to show up and perform with a private promise they will re-do his deal mid-season or something. I think 49ers sent the first signal when they re-worked Brooks deal - they are freeing up cash. BUT you have to be here to get a shot at getting some it.
Boone reports performs well during the season with the understanding that if he performs things could go his way. Niners give him a new deal/extension based on that guarantee.
what if he returns disgruntled and leaves Kap exposed on a play...
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
what if he returns disgruntled and leaves Kap exposed on a play...

Kaep isn't Scott Mitchell (I think I remember that reference correctly) and Boone isn't struggling with teammates, he's struggling with management. Unless Paraag or Trent step on the field, Boone isn't gonna miss a block when he is asking for more money.
He was offered more money. It would have made him a top 15 G pay wise before last season. He turned it down.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Kinda a dumb move, but the numbers weren't right for him and quite honest doesn't look fair, 2 years left on his contract that will amount to something like only 4 million. When he signed his contract it was for back up money, I think he wasn't getting the attention he deserved and decided to hold out.

He signed the contract. He knew he might be more than a backup when the deal was up, but he signed to get the sure thing immediately. Less risk, less reward. That's life moving west. I don't feel bad for him. He could have chosen to sack up, pull a Flacco, and bet on himself. He chose security over maximum earning potential, and now he regrets his decision. That's his mistake. He's still under contract.

I agree 100% - if these guys were so sure of betting on themselves Boone could have easily included an incentive clause or two in his contract about playing time, etc. But in exchange, the 49ers would have likely given him less guaranteed money back then. He made the choice and now regrets it.

CONVERSELY, the 49ers have made it clear they don't renegotiate contracts unless someone is working hard and living up to their end. It wouldn't surprise me one bit of by October the 49ers haven't reworked VDs deal and rewarded him for showing up and performing.

SO now the trick, both sides need to save face. How do the 49ers convince Boone to show up and perform with a private promise they will re-do his deal mid-season or something. I think 49ers sent the first signal when they re-worked Brooks deal - they are freeing up cash. BUT you have to be here to get a shot at getting some it.

I disagree with this argument. Its not about "betting on yourself." Its about protecting yourself from a major injury playing a very violent sport. You can be the greatest of all time, but if a 350 pound lineman roles up your leg, your career can be seriously delayed if not over. See the promising Kendall Hunter. Lord knows if he'll ever get another shot in the NFL or sign a life changing contract.
How about we wait and grab some linemen off these other teams when the cuts start happening. We need to look into getting more depth now because I'm not holding out hope for this dude!
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I disagree with this argument. Its not about "betting on yourself." Its about protecting yourself from a major injury playing a very violent sport. You can be the greatest of all time, but if a 350 pound lineman roles up your leg, your career can be seriously delayed if not over. See the promising Kendall Hunter. Lord knows if he'll ever get another shot in the NFL or sign a life changing contract.

i get that but khunt has earned at least $2 or $3 mil playing football for 3 years. there are worse things in life
Too bad when the CBA negotiations were going on the NFL didn't insist on put in language that would totally screw players for sitting out while under contract.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Aug 10, 2014 at 6:26 PM ]
Play out your contract. It's reasonable to want a new contract with one year left. The 49ers seldom sign people that reach free agency unless they test the market and find it wanting, and then come crawling back for less than what was offered in the first place, and then they're gone the next year, usually ending their career. It's not reasonable to want a new contract with two years left, because the team has to prioritize the players that will become free agents after the season before you (can you say Crabtree?). I agree Boone has out played his contract, but so what? That gets you a pay day after this season. He took the cash last time on the come at the Niner's risk, so man up until it's your time. I don't want to lose him, but OG is the easiest position to replace on the team. If he doesn't play, he doesn't get paid, he doesn't accrue an NFL year, he'll be a year older, and he is still under contract to the Niners for two years. He has no leverage. He'll be back or he's really really stupid, and I don't think he's stupid.

This is why I despise some agents. This is no doubt being done by his agent, even the stories about teams being interested.

What a scumbag.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Then it's betting on yourself to stay healthy. Either way, the most risk-averse strategy is generally the least profitable. He gets financial security, so the 49ers get a discount. You always give something to get something. He made his choice, now he wants to change the deal, since he already got that security he wanted. It's still crap.
always took Boone as a team first guy......seriously can't believe he wouldn't be with the team right now....
At this point, holding out is nothing more than a temper tantrum. He knows he can't get any more money by holding out, and everyone knows the threat of sitting the entire season is BS because if he sits he's still under contract for 2 more years. But he's mad, so he's gonna go sit & pout.

He'll be back with his tail between his legs before the first regular-season game.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Agreed. That's why we can't give in. Setting a precedent by giving in is a bad thing when money grubbing agents are providing the advice. We need our FO to take a hard line so this never happens again.

All of this x 100.
Share 49ersWebzone