LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

The Alex Boone Thread!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Baalke just announced today that the team will go forward and try to sign Iupati and Crabtree to extensions. I think Boone has gotten some bad advice from his agents. Either that or he wants to play tackle for another team anyway. Because that's how it's going to end up if he won't come in. He'll be playing for another team and they'll probably try him at tackle before anything else.
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Let him sit and make no money.

Better to get some value out of him if he's not going to cooperate. ESPN reports that they're far apart and Boone doesn't think the Niners are playing nice. Niners won't negotiate unless he comes in and he won't come in. They're at an impasse. They'll wait around until some other team wants to try him out at tackle which is where he should be anyway. He could be worth as high as a second or a third round pick if somebody thinks he'd work at left tackle.

I'd rather he sit out until he realizes that the front office won't budge. If he wants to sit out all year...fine, but that will just add another year on to his contract. Now it's a year later, he's a year older, making the same amount, and less likely to get a new, more lucrative, contract.

I'm all for the Niners taking a big steaming dump on him and letting him stew in it .

FU Alex, I know you troll these forums...get your A** back in gear!!
trade him
Baalke just announced today that the team will go forward and try to sign Iupati and Crabtree to extensions. I think Boone has gotten some bad advice from his agents. Either that or he wants to play tackle for another team anyway. Because that's how it's going to end up if he won't come in. He'll be playing for another team and they'll probably try him at tackle before anything else.

Not sure what is going through Boone's head exactly, but this could get a little ugly. Not sure he wants to play tackle, or be payed like one. That is largely speculation. I think he'd sign for top tier Guard money, which is about $8-10 mil per these days. I don't think the 49ers will go that high, and they won't even speak to him until he shows up to TC.

This will not reach a resolution until the 49ers see what they have in Looney and the others. If everyone falls flat on their face, we could see Boone back in camp soon. If Looney or someone else shows he's capable of being a solid starter, Boone could find himself with no new contract, close to $1 mil in fines due to his absence, and possibly no starting job. At that point, a trade would seem imminent, because I can't imagine he'd bring a positive attitude to the team under those circumstances.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 28, 2014 at 4:05 PM ]
I agree with Hopper. If Anthony Davis or Staley get injured Boone is a much better replacement than Martin. We could regret trading him.

Yes. Send a message that you dont f**k with Baalke.
Remember when this guy was an alcoholic and we took a chance on him when no one else would
Originally posted by RabidNiner:

Better to get some value out of him if he's not going to cooperate. ESPN reports that they're far apart and Boone doesn't think the Niners are playing nice. Niners won't negotiate unless he comes in and he won't come in. They're at an impasse. They'll wait around until some other team wants to try him out at tackle which is where he should be anyway. He could be worth as high as a second or a third round pick if somebody thinks he'd work at left tackle.

I'd rather he sit out until he realizes that the front office won't budge. If he wants to sit out all year...fine, but that will just add another year on to his contract. Now it's a year later, he's a year older, making the same amount, and less likely to get a new, more lucrative, contract.

I'm all for the Niners taking a big steaming dump on him and letting him stew in it .

FU Alex, I know you troll these forums...get your A** back in gear!!

At this point Boone and his continued absence is turning this into something it shouldn't be. Boone seems bent on forcing the Niners from their standard operating procedure. Like a little kid throwing a tantrum because they don't like the rules mommy and daddy have set in place. I am in favor of the Niners making an example of Boone, even if it means less in return for having done so. The Joe Staley extension was a message sent loud and clear. They appear to be in the process of sending another one loud and clear.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

Yes. Send a message that you dont f**k with Baalke.

Boone is a perfect candidate for the FO to make an example of. His position is currently staffed with acceptable replacement talent and he will lose most of his current salary to fines if he pushes the holdout. He has almost zero leverage.

The FO can draw a clear line in the sand for future contract negotiations.
[ Edited by Tigerlaw on Jul 28, 2014 at 4:39 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Boone is gonna fall off the wagon now. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY BALLKE

Boone starts hitting the sauce and reverting to his pre-draft form in 3......2......1
The sad part of all of this is Boone had become a real fan favorite ... easily one of the most likeable niners. He was active outside of football in the community, hell ... he has a rhino at the zoo named after him. Seemingly just a big, fun loving guy. And fair or not, that image is now completely shot.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
The sad part of all of this is Boone had become a real fan favorite ... easily one of the most likeable niners. He was active outside of football in the community, hell ... he has a rhino at the zoo named after him. Seemingly just a big, fun loving guy. And fair or not, that image is now completely shot.

Yeah it's a bummer. I'm not mad at him at all, it's a business, but I understand why fans are. Players always talk about putting the team before themselves, so it's tough seeing this situation unfold when we are right on the door step of winning a SB.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

He was one of my favorites for the exact perception you described. Now I just view him as a dumb greedy jock out of touch with reality who thinks an awful lot of himself.

Still prefer to have Boone playing in 14, but I really don't think thats how this ends at this point
[ Edited by WINiner on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:02 PM ]
I thought he would be a lifer
Share 49ersWebzone