LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Above Harbaugh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Well he doesn't have a superbowl but he has only been in the league 1 season and it looks like he will definitely get one before his coaching career is over. Honestly the only other coach in the league right now I would even consider would be Bill Belichick because the dude is basically a hall of fame caliber coach at this point.

I ask myself could any other coach do what Harbaugh has done? Bring a team from the cellar to the top of the league in a single season? He has a history of turning bad teams into great ones in no time. I can't think of anybody who could coach a turn around like he has done. So yeah I think Harbaugh is the best in the league right now hands down.

The reason I don't have Caughlin higher up than Harbaugh even though he has out coached Harbaugh a few times and has two superbowls is because of those seasons in between when his team was mediocre at best.

Caughlin is an excellent coach. Probably the 2nd best in the league behind Harbaugh.

Not saying he isn't an excellent coach but I put Harbaugh ahead of him. If Caughlin had taken over the 49ers when Harbaugh did there is no way he has them in the NFC championship his first season.

2nd best in the league, behind Harbaugh (who is the best in the league). I think I left out a comma, which made the sentence less clear.
Originally posted by buck:
Premature discussion.

I like Harbaugh, except his handling of the press and red flag throwing, but he has only been coaching for less than two years.

He has been exemplary, but he has not been in the league long enough to make this evaluation.

This. Harbaugh inherited a team with a lot of talents. Let's wait until he has to rebuild a team after the current generation either leaves or gets old to really decide how to rank him. He might be a Seifert type who won a lot of games but is terrible in turning around a team missing many key pieces.
Funny how Belichick's genius didn't apply to the Browns, or to Drew Bledsoe. What a coincidence that Brady strongly supports the only NFL coach he has ever played for. Who would have thought? Let's see how Belichicks other protege's develop. Matt Cassel, hmm... not exactly playing like Joe Montana did when he left his team and went to the Chiefs.

How about Andrew Luck? Not doing too bad. I wonder who developed him?
Josh Johnson holds the NCAA Division I record for highest career passer efficiency at 176.68.

Hmm... I wonder who Belichick has "developed" at quarterback in his entire career besides Tom Brady? The same Tom Brady who Belichick obviously knew would be a great one, since he selected him all the way up in the 6th round. Nope. Can't actually think of any. Perhaps in time Belichick will win the lottery again, just to prove that he can do it twice.

lol why do you talk/type like that?

Anyways.
You notice Matt Cassel had a great year under Belichick and sucked AFTER he left? The Pats went 11-5 with Cassel lol Belichick made him look like a pro bowl QB. He was very good with Belichick and sucked without him.

And there's a reason Brady was a 6th round pick. He wasn't a great QB coming out of the draft. He wasn't even great right away. Belichick made him great over the years

You don't make any sense.

Belichick made Brady great, and there's nothing you can say to change my mind

And lol at "winning the lottery." To say Brady made Belichick is dumb.
Also, I never said Harbaugh wasn't a great coach, I'm not arguing that at all.
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Nov 23, 2012 at 6:18 PM ]
Originally posted by fastforward:
This. Harbaugh inherited a team with a lot of talents. Let's wait until he has to rebuild a team after the current generation either leaves or gets old to really decide how to rank him. He might be a Seifert type who won a lot of games but is terrible in turning around a team missing many key pieces.

He picked Kaepernick, Aldon Smith and turned around Alex Smith. I can't wait to see what else he can do when he gets the players he wants.
Well he doesn't have a superbowl but he has only been in the league 1 season and it looks like he will definitely get one before his coaching career is over. Honestly the only other coach in the league right now I would even consider would be Bill Belichick because the dude is basically a hall of fame caliber coach at this point.

I ask myself could any other coach do what Harbaugh has done? Bring a team from the cellar to the top of the league in a single season? He has a history of turning bad teams into great ones in no time. I can't think of anybody who could coach a turn around like he has done. So yeah I think Harbaugh is the best in the league right now hands down.

The reason I don't have Caughlin higher up than Harbaugh even though he has out coached Harbaugh a few times and has two superbowls is because of those seasons in between when his team was mediocre at best.

Caughlin is an excellent coach. Probably the 2nd best in the league behind Harbaugh.

Not saying he isn't an excellent coach but I put Harbaugh ahead of him. If Caughlin had taken over the 49ers when Harbaugh did there is no way he has them in the NFC championship his first season.

2nd best in the league, behind Harbaugh (who is the best in the league). I think I left out a comma, which made the sentence less clear.

Yeah I agree 100%.

My top 5 would look like this.

1. Jim Harbaugh
2. Bill Billicheck
3. Tom Caughlin
4. Mike Tomlin
5. Mike Mccarthy, Sean Peyton, or John Harbaugh

A sleeper who looks to be a very good coach who doesn't get a lot of attention would be Greg Schiano.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 60sfan:
Premature discussion.

I like Harbaugh, except his handling of the press and red flag throwing, but he has only been coaching for less than two years.

He has been exemplary, but he has not been in the league long enough to make this evaluation.

I like his disdain for the press. You are dead on in regards to his red flag throwing.

I am willing to admit that the press can be a pain, but treating people with disdain, even if it is merited, is not something that I like or admire.

I really think the way he deals with the press is rank amateurism.
There is nobody even in his same category. There is nobody above him. Dude went 13 - 3 with Alex Smith. And made the NFC Championship game. 2 fumbles from KW's kept us out of the Super Bowl. Those other guys you posters are calling "better" have Brees, Brady Rodgers and the like. Imagine Harbaugh with that....
Needs a superbowl. But he's hot right now.
Premature discussion.

That might explain why he did it so quickly here but look what he did at University of San Diego. Then look at what he did at Stanford and now here. It isn't a fluke that he inherits losing teams and makes them into studs that get better and better each season. What he did at Stanford is truly remarkable and that is the reason we went after him.
He's up and coming but he has to win soon to build on his legacy. He doesn't want to be an Andy Reid that makes it to the playoffs but never grabs the brass ring. More than anyone he knows the NFL is a right now league. He's been a high level QB in college and the pros and knows what it takes to get there. The move to Kaep isn't as great of a gamble as it seems, the Saints are a 30ish rated Defense. They can be run on, and that's what this team does best. For the Saints this is almost a playoff elimination game, beating them in NO would be huge.

Romeo Crennel. I hear he may be out soon in KC, if we're smart we dump Harbs and lure Crennel in. He could even bring Cassel and Quinn with him and solve this whole stupid QB controversy thing.
I am willing to admit that the press can be a pain, but treating people with disdain, even if it is merited, is not something that I like or admire.

I really think the way he deals with the press is rank amateurism.

You are right. Disdain is out. But he can manipulate as he pleases.
Coughlin still top dog Billeckick 2nd Jimmy might be in dead heat with Tomlin but rings matter in this league and we need to respect that... He is up and coming though just like our 9ers its a good time for us and the stadium deal will be great for us diehards who have been going to a rundown stick for too long!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go 9erz
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 60sfan:

He picked Kaepernick, Aldon Smith and turned around Alex Smith. I can't wait to see what else he can do when he gets the players he wants.

Give credit where credit is due. Baalke selects the players.

Now, I would assume that Harbaugh had a lot to say in the selection of Colin Kaepernick.
But, I would not make that same assumption about the selection of Aldon Smith.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
he's in the top 32 fo sho.
Share 49ersWebzone